Author Topic: Ack!! Help!! 2009  (Read 21762 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Ack!! Help!! 2009
« on: June 14, 2008, 09:05:01 pm »
I had been wondering why my Kabuki, my normally strictly indoor cat, had been quite adventurous in the last week, wanting to go out onto my balcony the minute I got home.  I figured she had just gotten chilled in the a/c air inside and enjoyed laying in the sun for hours.

Well, today, I dragged the cats in off the balcony and went to water my plants.  Up high, out of reach, in my flowering hanging basket sat a dove.

The dove wouldn't move.  Just stared at me.

I'm too short to see in the basket, but I'm thinking that the bird is not sick, but that she's sitting on a nest.

In my plant.

A plant that desperately needs to be watered.

After my discovery, I left, and just now at sunset have come home to look again, hoping she'd left to feed.

Nope, still sitting there, staring at me.

How am I going to water my plant without frightening the bird off her nest?!?!?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 01:35:36 pm by delalluvia »

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Ack!! Help!!
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 09:55:11 pm »
I had been wondering why my Kabuki, my normally strictly indoor cat, had been quite adventurous in the last week, wanting to go out onto my balcony the minute I got home.  I figured she had just gotten chilled in the a/c air inside and enjoyed laying in the sun for hours.

Well, today, I dragged the cats in off the balcony and went to water my plants.  Up high, out of reach, in my flowering hanging basket sat a dove.

The dove wouldn't move.  Just stared at me.

I'm too short to see in the basket, but I'm thinking that the bird is not sick, but that she's sitting on a nest.

In my plant.

A plant that desperately needs to be watered.

After my discovery, I left, and just now at sunset have come home to look again, hoping she'd left to feed.

Nope, still sitting there, staring at me.

How am I going to water my plant without frightening the bird off her nest?!?!?

Can you try to catch her and relocate her somewhere else? If you put some gloves on, you won't feel it if she pecks you. Or maybe you could call the animal rescue to come do it for you? You have to keep your plant alive, and it sounds like the dove picked a poor place to roost. She would probably be much happier if her nest was up in a tree or someplace safe.

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 09:59:53 pm »
Ooops! I got that red message indicating someone else posted while I was posting. It was YOU Susie!  :laugh:  :laugh:

I suggest you call your local animal rescue, or even a vet and ask them what they think you should do. That poor bird! She can't possibly be happy laying her eggs on top of a plant.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 03:20:16 am »
I'm with Susie - birds, especially incipient baby birds, trump plant.  :)

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 08:59:23 am »
Here she is ...

What a pretty bird. I like the expression on her face.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 11:32:22 am »
I guess bird trumps plant, but it's also agonizing to watch my beautiful plant slowly die in the fierce Texas heat.  It can't help that a bird decided to call it home.

It actually isn't a bad choice for a nest.  It's high, out of the reach of all predators, I keep a bowl of water just below it on my balcony for birds and it's covered as my balcony has a roof.  Much better than an airplane engine compartment, I guess.  They don't call them birdbrains for nothing.  Well, up until guards are posted, that is.  8)

I called the local vet, who agreed there was nothing to be done, but in a desperate attempt to keep my plant marginally alive, suggested an aqua globe

http://www.buyaquaglobes.com/?cid=496736

Unfortunately, I could not find a store that sold them, having gone to 4 different places.  By the time I mail order them, my poor plant will be dead.

So I make-shifted one.  Punched a hole in the top of a full water bottle and tried to sneak it into the nest last night.  Bird flew away.

It was back this morning.

Well, I tried to save my plant.  I'll just let be, let be.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 11:53:34 am »
I saw some of those globes in Bed, Bath, and Beyond just yesterday.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 11:56:29 am »
Not an uncommon problem, Del.  We had a dove build a nest in the engine compartment of an airplane my husband was a partner in.  We literally had to post a guard, but I refused to let anyone fly the plane until the eggs had hatched and the baby birds had left the nest.  So my suggestion, sacrifice the plant, and let nature take its course.

Awwww!  Good for you, SunShadow.  I love that pic.  I would have done the same thing!

And good for you for letting be, Del.  I always feel honored when birds or other critters consider part of my property a safe and good home for them (outdoor areas, I mean).

And when it's all over, the soil in that pot will be very well-fertilized.  Your next plant will thrive!!   ;D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 02:10:58 pm »
That sounds like a good decision Del. And I'm glad you called the vet and asked about it. :)

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 06:23:20 pm »

The one place I didn't check.

I'll cruise by tomorrow.

The afternoon sun is extremely fierce on my plant in the afternoon - slanting sunlight gets under the overhand - bird is still sitting there.  I guess she knows enough to come in out of the heat if she gets too hot.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2008, 06:32:24 pm »
I have birds every year -- nesting in a little mud and stick nest in the corner of my carport ceiling. I think they are swallows or martins -- I don't know. They dive-bomb ferociously -- really fascinating to watch. And sometimes there are 5 or 6 at a time. I came home once -- one had not pulled out of the dive soon enough and crashed into the brick wall--broke his neck. He was a kamikaze. Probably chasing a dog or cat. They fly so fast. I laid him to rest under a crepe myrtle bush.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2008, 06:58:07 pm »
I guess she knows enough to come in out of the heat if she gets too hot.

I have birds every year -- nesting in a little mud and stick nest in the corner of my carport ceiling. I think they are swallows or martins -- I don't know. They dive-bomb ferociously -- really fascinating to watch. And sometimes there are 5 or 6 at a time. I came home once -- one had not pulled out of the dive soon enough and crashed into the brick wall--broke his neck.  He was a kamikaze. Probably chasing a dog or cat. They fly so fast. I laid him to rest under a crepe myrtle bush.

Or, maybe not.   :P

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2008, 07:07:06 pm »
I have birds every year -- nesting in a little mud and stick nest in the corner of my carport ceiling. I think they are swallows or martins -- I don't know. They dive-bomb ferociously -- really fascinating to watch. And sometimes there are 5 or 6 at a time. I came home once -- one had not pulled out of the dive soon enough and crashed into the brick wall--broke his neck. He was a kamikaze. Probably chasing a dog or cat. They fly so fast. I laid him to rest under a crepe myrtle bush.

I have those birds out in my back yard too. They dive bomb Cody every time he goes out there. He hardly pays any attention to them anymore. They'll dive bomb him 4 or 5 at a time sometimes, and he just ignores them. lol

injest

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2008, 09:44:36 pm »
The one place I didn't check.

I'll cruise by tomorrow.

The afternoon sun is extremely fierce on my plant in the afternoon - slanting sunlight gets under the overhand - bird is still sitting there.  I guess she knows enough to come in out of the heat if she gets too hot.

she is protecting her eggs from the swings in temperature. Her body absorbs the heat but the eggs remain at a steady temperature.

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2008, 01:03:19 am »
Is the globe something that would water the plant?

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2008, 07:15:08 pm »
Is the globe something that would water the plant?

Yes. Here is a pic and ad:

http://www.buyaquaglobes.com/?cid=498529

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2008, 09:28:04 pm »

And they were out of them.  So was every BB and Beyond in the greater metroplex area.  I had them check.

*sigh*

Sunshadow

How long did it take momma to hatch her chicks and get them gone?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2008, 11:12:59 pm »
And they were out of them.  So was every BB and Beyond in the greater metroplex area.  I had them check.

*sigh*

Sunshadow

How long did it take momma to hatch her chicks and get them gone?

Do you think maybe you could stick a funnel down into the dirt? Would that work?

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2008, 12:23:16 am »
Do you think maybe you could stick a funnel down into the dirt? Would that work?

I"m too short to see into the hanging basket and I'm afraid if I grope around with a funnel or the water bottle I have in there now, I might blindly smash the eggs.  I've made a monumental effort to save my plant to no avail, so I"m just gonna let momma alone.

My cats do not enjoy being kept off the balcony though.  They were enjoying their afternoon sunning and are mad.  But momma needs to settle down after all the excitement.  I was worried for her as it was nearly 100 degrees today and she would be sitting in the sun all afternoon.  She was still there, bright and beady eye when I came home this evening after visiting my mom.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2008, 02:44:18 am »
According to this page I found after a quick Google, it looks like 12 to 15 days from laying to hatching, depending on the type of dove.

http://www.internationaldovesociety.com/Articles/hatchingresults.htm

injest

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2008, 10:29:54 am »
the GOOD thing, Dev, is that once a dove has successfully laid and raised a little flock, they return and have babies there OVER and OVER...(sometimes three or four times a summer....)

;D ;D ;D

well SOME birds do.... ;D

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2008, 01:13:35 pm »
the GOOD thing, Dev, is that once a dove has successfully laid and raised a little flock, they return and have babies there OVER and OVER...(sometimes three or four times a summer....)

;D ;D ;D

well SOME birds do.... ;D

They can damn well take it elsewhere.  Plenty of trees and buildings around.  >:(

Longest day of the year has passed and I checked the sun daily and it only fell on momma bird for about 2 hours before it started to cool off, so she'll be alright heat wise, which is what I was worried about.  She leaves around sunset - to eat/relieve/drink I suppose and comes right back.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2008, 12:24:30 pm »
so that was about 2 weeks ago - what happened to the birdies?
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2008, 08:47:53 pm »
so that was about 2 weeks ago - what happened to the birdies?

Ack!  I watched the mother bird fly off about two hours ago and raced outside to sprinkle water around the sides of my plant (not directly on top, lest I wet the eggs and change their temperature or something) when suddenly something flapped at me!!!

I stopped watering, ran inside and got up on a chair so I could try to look into the nest from inside my apartment.  There was at least one big fledgling looking at me, rather irritated because it had gotten wet!!!

How do fledglings learn to fly?  There is nowhere to go on my balcony but straight down into the patio below me.

injest

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2008, 11:46:58 pm »
Ack!  I watched the mother bird fly off about two hours ago and raced outside to sprinkle water around the sides of my plant (not directly on top, lest I wet the eggs and change their temperature or something) when suddenly something flapped at me!!!

I stopped watering, ran inside and got up on a chair so I could try to look into the nest from inside my apartment.  There was at least one big fledgling looking at me, rather irritated because it had gotten wet!!!

How do fledglings learn to fly?  There is nowhere to go on my balcony but straight down into the patio below me.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

they will be fine....let nature do its thing...plus side?? when a bird successfully raises a little family in a nest they come back over and over!! (I have seen them have two or three broods a year!)

the fledglings will flap around in the nest and when they are ready they will take off on their own.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2008, 07:39:56 pm »
I saw another fledgling a day ago.  It seems much smaller than the other one.

This morning, two bird heads were sticking up out of my hanging plant.   ;D

Right now, one fledgling is sitting in the shade and the mother is in the hot afternoon sun, shading the other.

Damn birds. ;)

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2008, 09:38:56 pm »
Do you think you'll be able to take a photo before they fly away? 

I hope so.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2008, 09:55:44 pm »
Do you think you'll be able to take a photo before they fly away? 

I hope so.

I'm hoping to borrow my sister's camera, as I don't have one of my own to do so.  We shall see.

Offline Fran

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2008, 09:57:34 pm »
I'm hoping to borrow my sister's camera, as I don't have one of my own to do so.  We shall see.

Sounds like a plan.  :)

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2008, 07:06:27 pm »
OK, my hanging plant has become Party Central.

Came home, peeked out my blinds and saw momma bird, two big fledging heads, then, as I was watching another dove flew in for a landing and the momma bird waddled to the edge of the plant, then flew off!!  It's like they traded places.  :o

I don't recall reading that male doves hung around to help out.

Could it be - the gods forbid - as Jess suggested?  Generation two already staking out the nest for the next brood?

injest

« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2008, 07:27:24 pm »
OK, my hanging plant has become Party Central.

Came home, peeked out my blinds and saw momma bird, two big fledging heads, then, as I was watching another dove flew in for a landing and the momma bird waddled to the edge of the plant, then flew off!!  It's like they traded places.  :o

I don't recall reading that male doves hung around to help out.

Could it be - the gods forbid - as Jess suggested?  Generation two already staking out the nest for the next brood?

*evil laugh*

;) ;)

injest

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2008, 07:37:32 pm »
Del!

I have been looking up information on birds and superstitions...and here is what I found...

IF a bird pecks at your window or flies INTO the house and cant' get out..those are bad luck signs BUT!!

See the BUT???

NESTING birds are consistantly seen as being GOOD LUCK!!

so THERE!!

If this bird makes a nest on your roof, this is said to be a traditional sign of good luck. In fact most people believed that if this bird nests anywhere near the house it a positive sign

Seen by many as a sacred bird since ancient times as the dove is the one bird into which the Devil cannot transform. The messenger of 'Venus', Goddess of Love, the dove is associated with lovers. For Indians the dove is traditionally believed to contain the soul of a lover, and that to kill one would bring misfortune.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2008, 08:03:40 pm »
Del!

I have been looking up information on birds and superstitions...and here is what I found...

IF a bird pecks at your window or flies INTO the house and cant' get out..those are bad luck signs BUT!!

See the BUT???

NESTING birds are consistantly seen as being GOOD LUCK!!

so THERE!!

If this bird makes a nest on your roof, this is said to be a traditional sign of good luck. In fact most people believed that if this bird nests anywhere near the house it a positive sign

Seen by many as a sacred bird since ancient times as the dove is the one bird into which the Devil cannot transform. The messenger of 'Venus', Goddess of Love, the dove is associated with lovers. For Indians the dove is traditionally believed to contain the soul of a lover, and that to kill one would bring misfortune.

Thank you!    :-* :-* :-*

Feel better now.

{{{Jess}}}

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2008, 09:31:45 pm »
Heh.  The momma bird flew off to do whatever it is she does in the evenings.  I dashed out to water.  The fledglings waved their wings at me - and moved over to the other side of the plant so as not to get wet.

I just now checked them again.

They've moved back to the middle.  ;D

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2008, 08:50:06 am »
M.I.A.
I was going to drop by my sister's today to get the camera, but the nest now appears empty... ???

Least I hope it's empty and there're not dead little birdies in the plant.  :(

EDITED TO ADD:  Got the gumption up and looked in the plant.  No birdies.  Alive or dead.  They have graduated and all have flown the nest!!!  It rained all throughout dusk and it seemed a shame the birds missed a cool cloudy afternoon/evening in their nest for once.

Not sure why I feel so sad.  They being there stressed me out big time, but now I'm sad that they're gone.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 11:42:13 pm by delalluvia »

injest

« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2008, 07:48:35 pm »
M.I.A.
I was going to drop by my sister's today to get the camera, but the nest now appears empty... ???

Least I hope it's empty and there're not dead little birdies in the plant.  :(

EDITED TO ADD:  Got the gumption up and looked in the plant.  No birdies.  Alive or dead.  They have graduated and all have flown the nest!!!  It rained all throughout dusk and it seemed a shame the birds missed a cool cloudy afternoon/evening in their nest for once.

Not sure why I feel so sad.  They being there stressed me out big time, but now I'm sad that they're gone.

awww I didnt' see this post!!

maybe mom and dad will be back to start a new batch soon!!  ;D ;D

Offline Fran

« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2008, 08:13:57 pm »
M.I.A.

Oh, del, don't be sad.  It seems you were a very accommodating hostess.  Just wait till the word gets around in Birdland... you won't be birdless for long.    :)

Offline delalluvia

Re: Ack!! Help!! 2009
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2009, 01:35:15 pm »

She's baaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!!

Sitting in one of my potted plants I put out 3 days ago.

Can you say bird-brain? 

At least the hanging plant I put out last year was safer from climbing predators and out of sight from me moving around in my apartment (less stressful for her).  This potted plant is in a window basket right below my eye-level.  Easily seen when I whip open my balcony blinds every morning.

Gah.

At least it's early in the season.  The sun won't be so brutal this early, but again, how the fuck am I going to water the plant with her sitting in it?!?!  >:( >:( >:(  Maybe I should shoo her away now, while they're just eggs there?

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2009, 02:55:29 pm »
Hang a birdhouse in a shady place on your balcony.  ;D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2009, 02:58:00 pm »
Hang a birdhouse in a shady place on your balcony.  ;D

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

injest

« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2009, 05:13:07 pm »
She's baaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!!

Sitting in one of my potted plants I put out 3 days ago.

Can you say bird-brain? 

At least the hanging plant I put out last year was safer from climbing predators and out of sight from me moving around in my apartment (less stressful for her).  This potted plant is in a window basket right below my eye-level.  Easily seen when I whip open my balcony blinds every morning.

Gah.

At least it's early in the season.  The sun won't be so brutal this early, but again, how the fuck am I going to water the plant with her sitting in it?!?!  >:( >:( >:(  Maybe I should shoo her away now, while they're just eggs there?

oh let her have the durn plant!! I will send you a new one!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2009, 05:13:40 pm »
I think that it's wonderful and propitious that your doves returned to you again this year. Please welcome them and wait until the young'uns have hatched before watering your plant again. Either that, or use a watering can with a very long spout so as not to disturb the nest.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2009, 05:27:29 pm »
Can you hang the plant so that the eggs and later babies will be out of reach of predators?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2009, 07:01:11 pm »
Can you hang the plant so that the eggs and later babies will be out of reach of predators?

Been thinking about that all afternoon Shasta.  I recall from last year she always left around sunset to find food/drink I suppose, so I could adjust her nest then.  I know I can buy hanging pot apparatus at the garden shop. I'm just worried about how much I can adjust it without scaring her away. 

I guess if I get one that has a linked chain, I can hang it low at first, then gradually move it higher and higher until she's out of sight and out of range of any rats/cats.  Not that I've ever seen any cats on my balcony, but I'm sure rats and possums live in the area. 

The dove's daughter/mate/someone is also hanging around.  The other dove was sitting on the roof when I came in from working out.  Now its sitting on the balcony railing. 

*sigh*  You're right Jess, I'm just going to let the plant go. 

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2009, 07:02:13 pm »
I think that it's wonderful and propitious that your doves returned to you again this year. Please welcome them and wait until the young'uns have hatched before watering your plant again. Either that, or use a watering can with a very long spout so as not to disturb the nest.

Yes it is.  She obviously felt safe here.   :)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 09:23:36 pm by delalluvia »

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2009, 07:03:10 pm »
 ;) :) ;D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2009, 01:34:50 pm »

Picture of the mother, hunkered down during our current cold snap:

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2009, 01:56:03 pm »
Bless her heart. She looks like she is sitting precariously---why didn't she get more in the center?

Since this is her second year to nest with you, I think it is time that you name her.  :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2009, 02:18:32 pm »
Bless her heart. She looks like she is sitting precariously---why didn't she get more in the center?

The angle would be my guess.  More flat where she's sitting.

Since this is her second year to nest with you, I think it is time that you name her.  :) [/b][/color]

I'm willing to take suggestions.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2009, 07:17:29 pm »
I'm willing to take suggestions.

How 'bout "Fern"?  :)

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2009, 07:45:01 pm »
How 'bout "Fern"?  :)

I love "Fern"! That's great.  :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2009, 07:58:58 pm »
I love "Fern"! That's great.  :)

Haha!  And her little "fernlets"-to-be.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2009, 08:09:56 pm »
Haha!  And her little "fernlets"-to-be.

LOL. Yeah. The babies need names too.  :D  And I think the dad was around last year, too. Is he there this year, dellaluvia?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2009, 08:17:58 pm »
LOL. Yeah. The babies need names too.  :D  And I think the dad was around last year, too. Is he there this year, dellaluvia?

Fern is perfect!!! 

If you think I'm going to go out there and peek under the feathers to tell a her from a him...  :laugh:

Heck, how would I know?  It might have been the father.  Not sure. 

Hmmm, according to this, it's the father who flies in to switch out places:

Reproduction: Breeds mostly from late January to late September (peak in May and June); in California can breed
almost all year, depending on weather (Nice 1923). Raises 2-6 broods a year.

Oh hell no!!  :o

Almost invariably lays 2 eggs per clutch (range 1-3). Usually breeds solitarily, but sometimes more than 1 nest in same tree. Male incubates much of day and female at night, for 14-15 days. Young fed seeds and crop milk by both adults during nestling period of 13-15 days (VanVelzen 1974).

http://digital-desert.com/wildlife/mourning-dove.html

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2009, 08:42:53 pm »
Fern is perfect!!! 

Cheers, Del!

Whaddya know, there's actually a thing called a "fern bird".

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2009, 02:07:55 pm »

Hatched!!!

I saw the mother/father sitting higher up on the nest in the last day and this morning when I went to check on her/him, saw the dove sitting high on the nest, and suddenly just below, a little wing stretched out and shook itself.

I only see one so far. 

;D ;D

(Del passes out cigars)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2009, 02:13:34 pm »
Congrats to Auntie Del!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2009, 02:32:24 pm »
Just in time for Easter!! And since it's Heath's birthday, will you consider naming the baby after him??
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2009, 02:57:39 pm »
Just in time for Easter!! And since it's Heath's birthday, will you consider naming the baby after him??

heath - noun:     1.   Any of various usually low-growing shrubs of the genus Erica and related genera, native to Europe and South Africa and having small evergreen leaves and small, colorful, urn-shaped flowers. Also called heather   2. An extensive tract of uncultivated open land covered with herbage and low shrubs; a moor.

Sounds 'natural' enough.  Why not?  It is his birthday.  ;D

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2009, 03:02:49 pm »
Congratulations on the new arrival/arrivals!!! Fern, Heath, and who's the daddy?  ;D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2009, 02:39:42 pm »
Hatched!!!
I saw the mother/father sitting higher up on the nest in the last day and this morning when I went to check on her/him, saw the dove sitting high on the nest, and suddenly just below, a little wing stretched out and shook itself.

Awwww!

You should name one of the babies after our very own LittleWing!

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2009, 06:31:01 pm »
There are two!  Sitting there on the nest staring at me this morning.

Heath and Holly.  ;D

I'm going to buy a disposable camera tonight to try to catch a picture of them.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2009, 02:55:33 pm »
Too late!!!

Holly and Heather have grown up and flown the coop.  Got pics though.  Will develop them soon.

I had a day to let my cats enjoy the weather on the balcony, go the nursery, find a hanging basket to use as a nest, should the horny parents come back and last night it rained.  I said to myself, I put up the fake nest Sunday after it stops raining.

Damned birds are back!!!  Sitting in my plant again before I could put up my fake nest.

>:( >:(

Is it possible it's not Fern?  And just another horny couple who got the word my balcony was a good place to nest?

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2009, 07:57:40 pm »
Why do these things happen when I'm in such a rush to do other things? 

After my last report, I dashed out the door, already late to run my errands and get to work and what do I see, but Holly and Heath sitting together on the top step of my staircase.  They were just sitting there.  Two miniature doves, fresh out of the nest.  They just sat there and looked at me.  I tried to scoot past them and Heath flew off.  Holly, showed that she was still new to flying and had trouble leaving the eave - she understood the concept of "up" but not "out".  She finally flew off, ran into a wall and fell down.  I didn't see what happened to her after that.

I just came back from work.  The dove is gone.  I snuck outside.  No eggs in the nest.  I took the plant inside and I hung up the fake nest. If it was just a false pregnancy - do birds have such things? - next time Fern or whoever comes back, there will be a better place for her.