Author Topic: Ack!! Help!! 2009  (Read 21763 times)

injest

Re: Ack!! Help!!
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2008, 07:27:24 pm »
OK, my hanging plant has become Party Central.

Came home, peeked out my blinds and saw momma bird, two big fledging heads, then, as I was watching another dove flew in for a landing and the momma bird waddled to the edge of the plant, then flew off!!  It's like they traded places.  :o

I don't recall reading that male doves hung around to help out.

Could it be - the gods forbid - as Jess suggested?  Generation two already staking out the nest for the next brood?

*evil laugh*

;) ;)

injest

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2008, 07:37:32 pm »
Del!

I have been looking up information on birds and superstitions...and here is what I found...

IF a bird pecks at your window or flies INTO the house and cant' get out..those are bad luck signs BUT!!

See the BUT???

NESTING birds are consistantly seen as being GOOD LUCK!!

so THERE!!

If this bird makes a nest on your roof, this is said to be a traditional sign of good luck. In fact most people believed that if this bird nests anywhere near the house it a positive sign

Seen by many as a sacred bird since ancient times as the dove is the one bird into which the Devil cannot transform. The messenger of 'Venus', Goddess of Love, the dove is associated with lovers. For Indians the dove is traditionally believed to contain the soul of a lover, and that to kill one would bring misfortune.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2008, 08:03:40 pm »
Del!

I have been looking up information on birds and superstitions...and here is what I found...

IF a bird pecks at your window or flies INTO the house and cant' get out..those are bad luck signs BUT!!

See the BUT???

NESTING birds are consistantly seen as being GOOD LUCK!!

so THERE!!

If this bird makes a nest on your roof, this is said to be a traditional sign of good luck. In fact most people believed that if this bird nests anywhere near the house it a positive sign

Seen by many as a sacred bird since ancient times as the dove is the one bird into which the Devil cannot transform. The messenger of 'Venus', Goddess of Love, the dove is associated with lovers. For Indians the dove is traditionally believed to contain the soul of a lover, and that to kill one would bring misfortune.

Thank you!    :-* :-* :-*

Feel better now.

{{{Jess}}}

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2008, 09:31:45 pm »
Heh.  The momma bird flew off to do whatever it is she does in the evenings.  I dashed out to water.  The fledglings waved their wings at me - and moved over to the other side of the plant so as not to get wet.

I just now checked them again.

They've moved back to the middle.  ;D

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2008, 08:50:06 am »
M.I.A.
I was going to drop by my sister's today to get the camera, but the nest now appears empty... ???

Least I hope it's empty and there're not dead little birdies in the plant.  :(

EDITED TO ADD:  Got the gumption up and looked in the plant.  No birdies.  Alive or dead.  They have graduated and all have flown the nest!!!  It rained all throughout dusk and it seemed a shame the birds missed a cool cloudy afternoon/evening in their nest for once.

Not sure why I feel so sad.  They being there stressed me out big time, but now I'm sad that they're gone.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 11:42:13 pm by delalluvia »

injest

« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2008, 07:48:35 pm »
M.I.A.
I was going to drop by my sister's today to get the camera, but the nest now appears empty... ???

Least I hope it's empty and there're not dead little birdies in the plant.  :(

EDITED TO ADD:  Got the gumption up and looked in the plant.  No birdies.  Alive or dead.  They have graduated and all have flown the nest!!!  It rained all throughout dusk and it seemed a shame the birds missed a cool cloudy afternoon/evening in their nest for once.

Not sure why I feel so sad.  They being there stressed me out big time, but now I'm sad that they're gone.

awww I didnt' see this post!!

maybe mom and dad will be back to start a new batch soon!!  ;D ;D

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2008, 08:13:57 pm »
M.I.A.

Oh, del, don't be sad.  It seems you were a very accommodating hostess.  Just wait till the word gets around in Birdland... you won't be birdless for long.    :)

Offline delalluvia

Re: Ack!! Help!! 2009
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2009, 01:35:15 pm »

She's baaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!!

Sitting in one of my potted plants I put out 3 days ago.

Can you say bird-brain? 

At least the hanging plant I put out last year was safer from climbing predators and out of sight from me moving around in my apartment (less stressful for her).  This potted plant is in a window basket right below my eye-level.  Easily seen when I whip open my balcony blinds every morning.

Gah.

At least it's early in the season.  The sun won't be so brutal this early, but again, how the fuck am I going to water the plant with her sitting in it?!?!  >:( >:( >:(  Maybe I should shoo her away now, while they're just eggs there?

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2009, 02:55:29 pm »
Hang a birdhouse in a shady place on your balcony.  ;D
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline delalluvia