Author Topic: Least Favorite Food  (Read 21280 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Re: Least Favorite Food
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2008, 09:49:50 am »
Has any one tried a fruit called Durian? According wikipedia its related to okra. It has a spiny outer shell:

"The edible flesh emits a distinctive odour, strong and penetrating even when the husk is intact. Regarded by some as fragrant, others as overpowering and offensive, the smell evokes reactions from deep appreciation to intense disgust. The odour has led to the fruit's banishment from certain hotels and public transportation in Southeast Asia."

In the Philippines they say it smells like hell and tastes like heaven. I have never smelt anything as bad and I thought it tasted pretty hellish too. It honestly stank the whole room out if not the floor of the hotel

What's the smell like, Matt? Probably the most horrible food-related smell I've ever smelt was tripe cooking. Followed closely in second place by the smell in a back alley behind a restaurant that served prawns the night before. Durian must smell pretty bad, if it smells worse than a day-old prawn! Come to think of it, I can't stand prawns fresh, let alone day-old! Cockroaches of the sea! Yetch!  :P
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline ZK

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2008, 08:34:23 pm »
What's the smell like, Matt? Probably the most horrible food-related smell I've ever smelt was tripe cooking. Followed closely in second place by the smell in a back alley behind a restaurant that served prawns the night before. Durian must smell pretty bad, if it smells worse than a day-old prawn! Come to think of it, I can't stand prawns fresh, let alone day-old! Cockroaches of the sea! Yetch!  :P

The smell of Durian is indescribable, it absolutely reeks YUK! Hey I am with you about tripe though. My 10 year old daughter loves it, and even orders it at chinese restaurants!!

I can't stand prawns fresh, let alone day-old! Cockroaches of the sea! Yetch!  :P

Cockroaches of the sea??? Are you trying to put me off prawns or what. My favourite restaurant in Hong Kong is at the Temple Street Night Market in Kowloon, its has tables of fresh seafood, its cheap as chips (cheeps as us kiwis would say), real basic but they serve the best garlic prawns. I sit at table with mismatching chairs and watch all the bargain hunters go buy. Its priceless

So if we ever meet in Sydney I take it we won't be going to Doyles by the Harbour Bridge??

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2008, 12:17:31 am »
The smell of Durian is indescribable, it absolutely reeks YUK! Hey I am with you about tripe though. My 10 year old daughter loves it, and even orders it at chinese restaurants!!

Cockroaches of the sea??? Are you trying to put me off prawns or what. My favourite restaurant in Hong Kong is at the Temple Street Night Market in Kowloon, its has tables of fresh seafood, its cheap as chips (cheeps as us kiwis would say), real basic but they serve the best garlic prawns. I sit at table with mismatching chairs and watch all the bargain hunters go buy. Its priceless

So if we ever meet in Sydney I take it we won't be going to Doyles by the Harbour Bridge??

I have an alergy to prawns, Matt. If I eat them, I go into anaphylactic shock!  :o It's not a good look!  ::)

But even if I wasn't alergic to them, I still don't think I'd eat them. They look like insects and they stink! Yetch!  :P   :(
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2008, 02:30:28 am »
Has any one tried a fruit called Durian? According wikipedia its related to okra. It has a spiny outer shell:

"The edible flesh emits a distinctive odour, strong and penetrating even when the husk is intact. Regarded by some as fragrant, others as overpowering and offensive, the smell evokes reactions from deep appreciation to intense disgust. The odour has led to the fruit's banishment from certain hotels and public transportation in Southeast Asia."

In the Philippines they say it smells like hell and tastes like heaven. I have never smelt anything as bad and I thought it tasted pretty hellish too. It honestly stank the whole room out if not the floor of the hotel

When I was in Singapore, I saw signs on the walls in the subways of durians with that red circle with a slash through it, meaning "No durians allowed on the subway."  Actually, take 30 seconds to search in Google images for "no durians" and you'll see many examples of what I mean.

Offline Dobie1018

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2008, 04:28:33 pm »
Ewwwww!  Yuck!  Probably almost as bad as onion smell!!