Author Topic: FYI: Troll definition  (Read 3468 times)

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
FYI: Troll definition
« on: May 29, 2006, 05:12:04 pm »
Just so we don't forget....

In Internet terminology, a troll is someone who comes into an established community such as an online discussion forum, and posts inflammatory, rude or offensive messages designed intentionally to annoy and antagonize the existing members or disrupt the flow of discussion.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 05:13:47 pm by DavidinHartford »

Offline CoyotePiper

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: FYI: Troll definition
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 05:33:14 pm »
A slightly older term from the early days of the 'net is "flame" and its derivitives. In this sense a troll is equavalent to a flame or a "flamer'. The vitriol they post was referred to as "flamebait". ANd often its purpose was to start a "flamewar".

Some of the  most entertaining flaming went on on the old USENET. Especially any USENET boards with  the word "advocacy" in the title. Now those were worthy trolls. Clever comebacks, witty, entertaining. Unlike the current batch of AOL misfits who  have now permeated the web.

I'll say one thing for AOL, they were good at keeping all the losers boxed in in one place.

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 06:06:47 pm »
now a day the word "flame" is less specific. It seems to just mean angry rebuttals. Someone will post something that's controversial, and thus incite a wave of "flames", with even established posters contributing "flames". They're not specific to troll activities any more.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 06:08:00 pm »
I think I'm gonna add this definition to the Welcome Center if you don't mind David....

Offline MtBecky

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 06:08:44 pm »
So is there a troll infestation here too?  I haven't noticed since being invited here from the IMBd board....of course, I haven't ventured much past one particular topic for a while now... ::)

Offline David

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006, 06:13:24 pm »
NO!!    There is not an infestation!   

Not all trolls are teenagers who sneek over from IMDB to make anti-BBM comments.

But the definition still applies I think when a person enjoys stirring the pot in here.

A Wolf in Sheeps clothing so to speak.

I've made my point.  I'll drop it now.   Hopefully Phillip and the Mods are reading between the lines.

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2006, 06:15:30 pm »
Just so we don't forget....

In Internet terminology, a troll is someone who comes into an established community such as an online discussion forum, and posts inflammatory, rude or offensive messages designed intentionally to annoy and antagonize the existing members or disrupt the flow of discussion.

Wait, that's me.  I'm a troll... with my antagonizing and disruptiveness.  LOL!
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2006, 06:16:35 pm »
But the definition still applies I think when a person enjoys stirring the pot in here.

Agreed 100%

I've made my point.  I'll drop it now.   Hopefully Phillip and the Mods are reading between the lines.

Clear as crystal David!

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2006, 06:17:42 pm »
Wait, that's me.  I'm a troll... with my antagonizing and disruptiveness.  LOL!

LOL....you're only trollISH Phil!