Author Topic: Kudos to Bravo for doing as they said with rpt. BBM !!!  (Read 67406 times)

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
Re: Bravo's version of BBM censored beyond belief, a joke
« Reply #120 on: July 01, 2008, 10:37:09 am »
I'm not sure that we will ever know exactly why the decision was made to cut the film in the manner that happened. If the network needed to cut for time constraints, there are many areas of the film that could be cut without compromising the essential message of the film, rather than TS2. In fact there are only a few other scenes as important as TS2 in leading the viewer to understand the relationship that developed between the boys. 

I don't watch much TV in my old age, just films on DVD. So, I won't miss much by avoiding Bravo.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #121 on: July 01, 2008, 10:40:01 am »
NBC/Universal, at:

Bravo Viewer Relations
3000 W. Alameda Ave., Suite 250
Burbank, CA 91523

from what I can tell, Bravo is owned by NBC/Universal in CA. I am not sure if Bravo is a Canadian company as was suggested earlier.

http://www.bravotv.com/Contact_Us/index.shtml

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #122 on: July 01, 2008, 10:42:30 am »
THIS IS NBC UNIVERSAL

NBC Universal is one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production, and marketing of entertainment, news, and information to a global audience. Formed in May 2004 through the combining of NBC and Vivendi Universal Entertainment, NBC Universal owns and operates a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, and world-renowned theme parks. NBC Universal is 80% owned by General Electric and 20% owned by Vivendi.

here is a breakdown of the ownership of the parent company of Bravo.

http://www.nbcuni.com/About_NBC_Universal/Company_Overview/

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #123 on: July 01, 2008, 10:46:21 am »
That could be so, but it may be also a cover up ?

There is this famous  italian born who so-called himself canadian now in prison in Montreal, and from there he controls over a billion $ worth of in illegal activities, do you know ?  So, it could be a similar situation with BRAVO, maybe ?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #124 on: July 01, 2008, 10:51:21 am »
Very good points, brokeplex. Seems very plausible to me.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #125 on: July 01, 2008, 08:52:27 pm »
I never got a reply from GLAAD, but they did publish my letter on their website.

It's not easy to find, so here's the link:

http://glaadorg.nexcess.net/cinequeer/2008/06/30-days-of-pride-whats-on-tv-t-12.html

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #126 on: July 01, 2008, 09:01:41 pm »
yay, this helps me feel a little better!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #127 on: July 01, 2008, 09:05:09 pm »
I am glad that you did that BayCityJohn !

Thanks very much !!

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #128 on: July 02, 2008, 01:40:25 am »
I never got a reply from GLAAD, but they did publish my letter on their website.

It's not easy to find, so here's the link:

http://glaadorg.nexcess.net/cinequeer/2008/06/30-days-of-pride-whats-on-tv-t-12.html

Way to go.I will inform you  if my letter appears in the NY post. I doubt it, but as it was there, where the SS originally aired, I thought it was worth a go.In any case it made me feel  whole lot better.It did take about 5 attempts before I could rein in the vitriol sufficiently, to stand even the remotest chance of publication.

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #129 on: July 02, 2008, 12:20:16 pm »
YES!!
Bravo Responds

We didn't catch the televised version ourselves but when readers tipped us off to the brouhaha, we contacted Bravo to find out what the deal was.

Here's their response: 

"This was an unfortunate mistake. While editing the film for cable broadcast, the kissing scene in question was removed. The scene will appear in all future airings of Brokeback Mountain on Bravo, as it should have been included in its cable premiere." 

We can approach this from a few different angles, but I for one am inclined to take their response at face value. Honestly, for them to deliberately remove a kiss (when others were left intact) for the purpose of undermining the gay romance of one of the most universally embraced gay-themed films in history and then to promote the network premiere in association with a gay media event would be suicide. 

We'll know for sure if the net is on the level the next time Brokeback airs. 

http://www.afterelton.com/blog/brianjuergens/in-tents-bravo-responds-brouhaha--brokeback-mountain-edit?&comment=46070