Author Topic: Kudos to Bravo for doing as they said with rpt. BBM !!!  (Read 67407 times)

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Kudos to Bravo for doing as they said with rpt. BBM !!!
« on: June 28, 2008, 01:02:50 am »
I have just come here for a quick rant. I cannot believe how much of BBM was censored by Bravo. Most of TS1 most of TS2 every fu--ing was changed to frigging.The couple of HAF'S  was changed to high altitude flings.A farce. I am sorry as I know I am a guest in your country,but the T.V censorship here is puritanical.
I wish I had never watched it,I am now watching it again on dvd to rid my mind of the ridiculous Bravo version.It was so censored my 11 year old son watched it with me.He did not have to cover his eyes once,but bless him we still both cried at the end.Every Mom should have a son like my Matt.
11.5 years and I still get a goodnight kiss, and when asked by his tennis coach what I liked, re my birthday, he replied,Heath Ledger,cooking, tennis and led Zeppelin.He just so knows me!!!!
He has watched AKT with me and could not believe it was the same person.He is gong to see TDK with his dad and report back for me.
I  found it just too heartbreaking/disturbing to be watching BBM then have a trailer for TDK in the adverts.It all just seems too much at the moment.
Well rant over, now it's going to be a really late night again, as I sit and watch the proper version.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 08:50:39 pm by optom3 »

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
Re: Bravo's version of BBM censored beyond belief, a joke
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 01:36:25 am »
I just got home a few minutes ago and turned on the TV and flipped through the channels. What do I find but Jack and Lureen in the backseat of the car! I had no idea it would be on Bravo tonight. I didn't want to watch the whole thing because I haven't watched in a long time and didn't want to start in the middle and deal with commercials, but I decided to at least watch till the reunion. Ennis hears the truck, gets that amazing little smile, runs out on the porch, and says "Jack FREDERICK Twist!" WHAT?! It took me right out of the moment. I completely agree with you about censorship. I'm sure there are things that shouldn't be seen on television, but I'm pretty sure kids have all heard things much worse than "Jack fuckin Twist" in school. Optom, would that have been allowed in England? Are we that much worse in the United States than in other countries?

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 03:12:14 am »
I cant speak for England, but I am in Australia, and the movie has been on TV here many times....and it is exactly the original movie....NO CENSORSHIP AT ALL....
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 03:17:56 am »
I cant speak for England, but I am in Australia, and the movie has been on TV here many times....and it is exactly the original movie....NO CENSORSHIP AT ALL....

BRAVO censored it. Fiona is quite accurate in what she just said. The tent scene was all hacked to hell, and yet the scene with Jack and Lureen in the backseat of the car was nearly fully intact. They all but cut out the tent scene (one of the most important scenes in the entire movie IMO). Once Ennis said to Jack "What are you doing" they cut to the OUTSIDE of the tent.

We stilll have a LONG WAY to go here in the good ole' USA. And BRAVO (a very pro gay channel) just once again proves this fact. ::) >:(

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 03:20:00 am »
After all, GOD FORBID we offend anyone in this country!!

>:(

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

injest

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 06:22:20 am »
I thought Bravo was 'gay friendly' and on top of that it is CABLE...good grief...

did they show Anne Hathaway's breasts??

injest

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 06:23:05 am »
"Jack FREAKING Twist!!"

doesn't have the same punch does it?

:P

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 07:17:04 am »
I may be wrong here but ...

I believe Bravo's a canadian station - (thus the pro-gay reputation[?]) a part of the CITY-TV family of stations.

Therefore, as a Canadian, and even though I no longer watch TV ....

I would like to apologize.  
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 07:32:27 am »
"Jack FREAKING Twist!!"

Bwaaa-ha-ha!  ::) ::)

How utterly sad - perhaps especially the removal/mangling of the two tent scenes.

Did they at least keep the reunion intact, or did they remove that kissing as well?

Well, BBM is in elite company as it enters the list of great works of art around the globe that have been censored, covered up, mangled or blown to bits in order to comply with the lowest common denominator of prudery from ignorant busybodies who had no concept or understanding of art, nor indeed of anything much else, but lots of concepts of how to restrict and meddle in others' "Morality" while purporting to be motivated by the concern that those others (not ever themselves) would be corrupted.

For some reason, the first thought that came to mind in comparison was that Iran some years ago (before the intro of the Euro currency) wouldn't allow people to possess French Franc bills, because the bills held the image of the great French national painting "Freedom leads the People" in which Freedom is a woman with a *gasp* bared breast showing.  *shakes head* Yeah, that would corrupt innocent minds the way the mullahs never could!

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2008, 08:19:49 am »
The overriding question is: Did the edits change the meaning of the story?

Milo
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.