Author Topic: Grand Jury Declines to Charge Horn (Houston Break in Case)  (Read 19645 times)

injest

Re: Grand Jury Declines to Charge Horn (Houston Break in Case)
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2008, 08:05:43 pm »
And I call what Mr. Horn did, shooting two people in the back as they were running away from him, manslaughter. I don't dispute his right to protect himself, his family, or his property. But shooting two people in the back as they flee from you is not protecting anything. It's homicide. If this is what Texans, or a Texas grand jury, considers justice, I'm glad I live in Pennsylvania. The "protecting" ended when they started to run after his first shot.
You'll get no argument from me about that.

And this example of criminal activity has exactly what to do with the Horn case? Drug dealers shooting each other are not vigilantes. They are criminals shooting other criminals. Unfortunately they sometimes miss and hit innocent bystanders.

did you see the interview this morning? He said that the men started toward him and as he shot the first time guy turned....the 911 tape shows there wasn't but seconds between the first and second shots...and I think (as I said earlier) andrenilin took over..I doubt he was thinking clearly at that moment.

a sad situation all around.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2008, 09:54:28 pm »
You don't go after people because they might come back after you. You wait until they come back after you. Then you take care of them.

you might wish to rephrase your line above to read : "I don't go after people because they might come back after me. I wait until they come back after me. Then I take care of them. "

many of the rest of us are not going to quietly queue in front of the cattle cars to be shoved inside and taken to the "work camps in the East". when there is a demonstrable threat it makes sense to me to take immediate steps to eliminate that threat before "it comes back after me"

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2008, 09:59:17 pm »
To paraphrase a couple of lines from "The Untouchables".

I do not approve of your methods!
Yeah, well... You're not from Texas.

Texas is a whole different world from a lot of the nation.

From comic Ron White:

In Texas we have the death penalty, and WE USE IT!
Other state's are trying to abolish the death penalty... mine's putting in an express lane.
If you come to Texas and kill someone, we'll kill you back!

I don't know what the crime rate is in Texas, but if you're a criminal, I think it'd be better to be a criminal somewhere else.

"Texas is a whole different world from a lot of the nation"

That is absolutely true, much truer than most people understand. Until outsiders have lived here for several years, and compared notes with their experiences in other states and regions, they don't fully appreciate that "Texas can on occasion be a whole different universe".

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2008, 10:02:25 pm »
did you see the interview this morning? He said that the men started toward him and as he shot the first time guy turned....the 911 tape shows there wasn't but seconds between the first and second shots...and I think (as I said earlier) andrenilin took over..I doubt he was thinking clearly at that moment.

a sad situation all around.

No, I have not seen any interviews.

I'm sure you're right about adrenaline taking over, and I doubt he was thinking clearly, and it is, indeed, a sad situation. Horn's going to have to live with it the rest of his life.

Which, now that I think on it, also suggests to me that there may have been some psychological value for him in standing up and court accounting for his actions.

And possibly the grand jury proceedings did that. I have to admit I'm not familiar with proceedings like that in Texas. Pennsylvania doesn't use grand juries any more. Judges decide whether there is enough evidence to charge someone with a crime.

Nevertheless, I will have to disagree with some folks around here. In my book, Horn is no hero. And, far from being fired, the prosecutor who wanted to charge him should get a medal for upholding standards of justice.  8)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2008, 10:04:47 pm »
"Texas can on occasion be a whole different universe."

:o

A universe that produces some great ladies, though: Anne Richards, Molly Ivins, and our own Jess, o'course.  ;)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

injest

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2008, 10:20:10 pm »
:o

A universe that produces some great ladies, though: Anne Richards, Molly Ivins, and our own Jess, o'course.  ;)

awwww!!  :-* :-*

You are SUCH a gentleman...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2008, 10:23:40 pm »
They were shot IN THE BACK? >:(

I don't know how it works in Texas (well I guess I do now) but in Indiana, if I'm not mistaken, when someone is shot in the back it is automatically considered manslaughter, if not murder. I'm sure there are exceptions to this, such as shooting someone in the back as they are charging towards another person, but failing situations such as those, this is generally how it works in my state. Shooting people in the back is a big no no around here.

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

injest

« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2008, 10:26:05 pm »
They were shot IN THE BACK? >:(

I don't know how it works in Texas (well I guess I do now) but in Indiana, if I'm not mistaken, when someone is shot in the back it is automatically considered manslaughter, if not murder. I'm sure there are exceptions to this, such as shooting someone in the back as they are charging towards another person, but failing situations such as those, this is generally how it works in my state. Shooting people in the back is a big no no around here.

he said the bullet entered under the arm and a little behind...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2008, 10:43:15 pm »
you might wish to rephrase your line above to read : "I don't go after people because they might come back after me. I wait until they come back after me. Then I take care of them. "

many of the rest of us are not going to quietly queue in front of the cattle cars to be shoved inside and taken to the "work camps in the East". when there is a demonstrable threat it makes sense to me to take immediate steps to eliminate that threat before "it comes back after me"

I see no need to rephrase anything. I'm not the one making irrelevant analogies.

And speaking of analogies, now who's bringing up the Nazis?  8)

Offline Artiste

« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2008, 10:44:39 pm »
When those criminals went after him, he was thinking clearly that he had to shoot the bastards before they would murdered him !!

Anyone thinks that those criminals from so far away, would have kissed that peaceful citizen's ass ? No, they were there to rob and murder him !

He did right to kill them both !!