Author Topic: Okay, try this:  (Read 43098 times)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Okay, try this:
« on: July 09, 2008, 08:56:51 am »
Grab the nearest book, turn to page 23 and post the 5th complete sentance here. I'll go first:

"They knew Umialik had chosen Qayaq to be his son-in-law and that Umialik would not hunt anymore that day."

I've been contributing to this great thread for some time now. If I remember correctly, the first book I quoted was from a dry old text book that was the book located nearest to me at that particular time. Since then, however, my subsequent posts have quoted the 5th complete sentence on the 23rd page of the book I was currently reading. Hope that's okay, Truman. Love this thread.
Kerry
27 January 2011
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 11:38:55 pm by Kerry »
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: Okay, thry this:
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 09:14:44 am »
"The band of soldiers calling themselves the Green Mountain Boys took their name from the Green Mountains of which present-day state?"

Fun idea, Truman!  :)
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 10:41:59 am »
I was sure that when she stepped upon the stage it would be like putting a match to the wick, and I would flare up, golden and incandescent but somehow painfully and shamefully bright; and my family and my beau would shrink away from me, appalled.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 10:51:32 am »
By the time someone came around he had drowned in his own blood.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 12:03:43 pm »
"Nearby was the Brest railway with its engine depots, warehouses, and lodgings for the employees."

Offline BelAir

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 12:26:58 pm »
My nearest non-fiction, non-magazine, non-poetry book was The Chronicles of Narnia.  Page 23 is in Chapter 2 (Digory and his Uncle) of The Magician's Nephew.  The fifth complete sentence is a line of dialogue.

If there are any dangers Over There - well, it would be a pity to arrive a moment too late.

:)
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 12:34:32 pm »
Debit risk exposure is created as the debit is subject to the right of return of the paying bank, meaning that the paying bank has the right not to honor an ACH debit.

The nearest book to me is a training manual on the job.

:laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 01:01:05 pm »
Another dry one:

Third parties advised under this subsection are required to keep the existence of a supervision confidential.

The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 01:51:50 pm »
Or was it that the kitchen reminded Dalgliesh of that rectory kitchen where the lonely only child had found warmth and undemanding, uncensorious companionship, been given hot dripping toast and small forbidden treats?
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 02:01:51 pm »
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 03:52:45 pm »
"WTI  closed at 136.40,
Brent  closed at 136.20,
Henry Hub Natural Gas  closed at 11.929"

www.nymex.com

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 05:19:36 pm »
The Germans blockaded the city for 900 days, and almost a million citizens perished.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

injest

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 07:15:02 pm »
These muscle groups have the task, among others, of closing the legs.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 07:17:34 pm »
These muscle groups have the task, among others, of closing the legs.

(and opening them too!)

:-X  :-X

injest

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 07:19:11 pm »
(and opening them too!)

:-X  :-X

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

sure! if you are a BAD girl!!

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2008, 07:46:59 pm »
"She arrives, seeks out a suitable challenge for her talents, throws herself into that adventure, and then moves on."

Hmmm, after that last post... this is getting raunchy.

Why do we consume what we consume?
Why do we believe what we believe?
Why do we accept what we accept?
You have a body, a mind, and a soul.... You have a responsibility.

injest

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 07:48:58 pm »
"She arrives, seeks out a suitable challenge for her talents, throws herself into that adventure, and then moves on."

Hmmm, after that last post... this is getting raunchy.

ROTF!!

Offline optom3

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2008, 07:49:03 pm »
I have read how animals react hysterically, sometimes even violently,in the event of imperfect offspring.

From a book called, Daniel Isn't talking, about an Autistic boy.

injest

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2008, 07:53:26 pm »
"They knew Umialik had chosen Qayaq to be his son-in-law and that Umialik would not hunt anymore that day. The band of soldiers calling themselves the Green Mountain Boys took their name from the Green Mountains of which present-day state. I was sure that when she stepped upon the stage it would be like putting a match to the wick, and I would flare up, golden and incandescent but somehow painfully and shamefully bright; and my family and my beau would shrink away from me, appalled.By the time someone came around he had drowned in his own blood. Nearby was the Brest railway with its engine depots, warehouses, and lodgings for the employees. If there are any dangers Over There - well, it would be a pity to arrive a moment too late.

Debit risk exposure is created as the debit is subject to the right of return of the paying bank, meaning that the paying bank has the right not to honor an ACH debit. Third parties advised under this subsection are required to keep the existence of a supervision confidential.

Or was it that the kitchen reminded Dalgliesh of that rectory kitchen where the lonely only child had found warmth and undemanding, uncensorious companionship, been given hot dripping toast and small forbidden treats? The Germans blockaded the city for 900 days, and almost a million citizens perished. 

These muscle groups have the task, among others, of closing the legs. She arrives, seeks out a suitable challenge for her talents, throws herself into that adventure, and then moves on. "I have read how animals react hysterically, sometimes even violently,in the event of imperfect offspring"

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2008, 08:07:38 pm »
"They knew Umialik had chosen Qayaq to be his son-in-law and that Umialik would not hunt anymore that day. The band of soldiers calling themselves the Green Mountain Boys took their name from the Green Mountains of which present-day state. I was sure that when she stepped upon the stage it would be like putting a match to the wick, and I would flare up, golden and incandescent but somehow painfully and shamefully bright; and my family and my beau would shrink away from me, appalled.By the time someone came around he had drowned in his own blood. Nearby was the Brest railway with its engine depots, warehouses, and lodgings for the employees. If there are any dangers Over There - well, it would be a pity to arrive a moment too late.

Debit risk exposure is created as the debit is subject to the right of return of the paying bank, meaning that the paying bank has the right not to honor an ACH debit. Third parties advised under this subsection are required to keep the existence of a supervision confidential.

Or was it that the kitchen reminded Dalgliesh of that rectory kitchen where the lonely only child had found warmth and undemanding, uncensorious companionship, been given hot dripping toast and small forbidden treats? The Germans blockaded the city for 900 days, and almost a million citizens perished. 

These muscle groups have the task, among others, of closing the legs. She arrives, seeks out a suitable challenge for herlents, throws herself into that adventure, and then moves on. "I have read how animals react hysterically, sometimes even violently,in the event of imperfect offspring"

:laugh:  I'm not sure it would be a bestseller but it sure gave me a laugh!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2008, 08:46:40 pm »
:laugh:  I'm not sure it would be a bestseller but it sure gave me a laugh!

Marie

I totally agree with you Marie! Not exactly the most "readable" four paragraphs, but a very good laugh all the same! :laugh:

Thanks for piecing it all together for us Jess! :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2008, 08:52:05 pm »
Here's another one. The first one I quoted earlier was from the book "Devices and Desires" by P.D. James. I have two books sitting here, and I decided to quote the P.D. James book because it was on top. This next one is from "Long After Midnight" by Iris Johansen:

"Bitch."

(I'm going to type the next sentence too, because "Bitch" really isn't a complete sentence, is it?)

"The snarl came from the gray-haired woman from whom Kate had taken the sign."

injest

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2008, 08:55:00 pm »

These muscle groups have the task, among others, of closing the legs. She arrives, seeks out a suitable challenge for her talents, throws herself into that adventure, and then moves on. "I have read how animals react hysterically, sometimes even violently,in the event of imperfect offspring"

"Bitch."  The snarl came from the gray-haired woman from whom Kate had taken the sign.

Offline saucycobblers

• Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2008, 09:25:27 am »
"The township is a sector or district of a city large enough to support in principle a full range of local facilities and a good level of employment opportunities."

Stop yawning.

And be thankful you don't have to work here. ;)
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2008, 09:36:14 am »
"Later, Pissarro came to know Reclus at a time of political turmoil in France in the 1890s, but he was almost certainly aware of his published work before then."

Great idea for a thread! 8)

And, hi Saucy!  Great to see you Bud!  I'm at work too... thus the sort of strange sentence I'm quoting here for my contribution to the thread.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2008, 12:43:46 pm »
"I can only assume that if the hearing defect persisted the following year, the examining physician overlooked it."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline BelAir

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2008, 02:16:37 pm »
Here's another one. The first one I quoted earlier was from the book "Devices and Desires" by P.D. James. I have two books sitting here, and I decided to quote the P.D. James book because it was on top. This next one is from "Long After Midnight" by Iris Johansen:

"Bitch."

(I'm going to type the next sentence too, because "Bitch" really isn't a complete sentence, is it?)

"The snarl came from the gray-haired woman from whom Kate had taken the sign."

omg! - you read Iris Johansen novels?  what do you think of them?  (I'll confess they are a secret luxurious pleasure of mine, though I don't think they are particularly well written, lol)

or was it a novel your sister left at your house or somethin?

;)

Offline BelAir

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2008, 02:20:21 pm »
"I can only assume that if the hearing defect persisted the following year, the examining physician overlooked it."

Shasta what is that from??  (I feel like I've read it recently, something from the new yorker maybe?)

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2008, 03:29:23 pm »
"One sign of the prosperity of that industry and that era was that the average down payment on a local home had risen to $500.00"

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2008, 03:46:56 pm »
omg! - you read Iris Johansen novels?  what do you think of them?  (I'll confess they are a secret luxurious pleasure of mine, though I don't think they are particularly well written, lol)

or was it a novel your sister left at your house or somethin?

;)

Nope! I bought the book. Actually Long After Midnight is the only Iris Johansen novel I've read. I've read it THREE times! I'm a big P.D. James fan though - Devices and Desires, Original Sin and The Skull Beneath The Skin, just to name a few. :D

Do you have some favorite Iris Johansen novels to recommend?

"The township is a sector or district of a city large enough to support in principle a full range of local facilities and a good level of employment opportunities."

Stop yawning.

And be thankful you don't have to work here. ;)

NICKY!!!!! :-* :-*

I've missed you SO MUCH!! It's nice to see you here! :D

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2008, 05:05:59 pm »
Nicky!!! `Great to see you!

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2008, 10:19:54 pm »
Shasta what is that from??  (I feel like I've read it recently, something from the new yorker maybe?)

Faith of My Fathers (A Family Memoir) by John McCain with Mark Salter

Great book! It was on the NYT bestsellers list, but I don't know about the New Yorker.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline saucycobblers

• Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2008, 06:03:26 am »
hi Saucy!  Great to see you Bud!  I'm at work too... thus the sort of strange sentence I'm quoting here for my contribution to the thread.
NICKY!!!!! :-* :-*

I've missed you SO MUCH!! It's nice to see you here! :D
Nicky!!! `Great to see you!

Thanks Buds! I've lurked from time to time and I'm just starting to feel like maybe doing the odd post. One of these days I'll tell y'all what I've been up to...

Meanwhile... a joke.

Two elephants jump off a cliff...

BOOM! BOOM!

;)
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2008, 12:59:09 pm »
We missed you so much! Great to know you've been nearby all along!

Here's my contribution:

He shrugs, gets back on his bike, and disappears down the trail.

(From The Secret Life of Cowboys, by Tom Groneberg)
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline BelAir

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2008, 02:14:25 pm »
Faith of My Fathers (A Family Memoir) by John McCain with Mark Salter

Great book! It was on the NYT bestsellers list, but I don't know about the New Yorker.

Hunh, well I definitely haven't read that book... maybe it was quoted in a review or article on McCain or something... who knows?? (I did read an article in The New Yorker recently about the state of Conservatism/the Republican party, etc...

::)

Sure sounded familiar.

Offline BelAir

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2008, 02:31:39 pm »
Nope! I bought the book. Actually Long After Midnight is the only Iris Johansen novel I've read. I've read it THREE times! I'm a big P.D. James fan though - Devices and Desires, Original Sin and The Skull Beneath The Skin, just to name a few. :D

Do you have some favorite Iris Johansen novels to recommend?

Took me awhile to figure it out, but the 2 novels I've read are Final Target and Blind Alley... gripping enough for me, if not very high on quality, lol!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2008, 02:23:15 pm »
Thanks Buds! I've lurked from time to time and I'm just starting to feel like maybe doing the odd post. One of these days I'll tell y'all what I've been up to...

Meanwhile... a joke.

Two elephants jump off a cliff...

BOOM! BOOM!

;)

:laugh: Good to see you and good to know you lurk!  :-*

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2008, 06:58:33 pm »

"The objects of all this care and training were the patients."

from A Century of Caring, by Professor Geoffrey Sherington

I'm at work. It's a dry ol' history book.  :(
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2008, 07:38:01 pm »
"He glanced down, saw the fanned spray of blood at his feet, and edged his gun around the corner wall."

-- Jodi Picoult, Nineteen Minutes     

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2008, 10:07:14 pm »
We communicate on a sophisticated level (OK-maybe not gym bunnies!), expressing a full array of feelings and traits.

From "The 7 Day Dating and Relationship Plan for Gay Men".

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2008, 08:19:37 pm »
There were hunters and horses and dogs and ladies.

Frances Hodgson Burnett, The Secret Garden
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2008, 10:47:04 pm »

I've just finished reading Roberta Taylor's autobiography, "Too Many Mothers," and it's still sitting on my coffee table.

The fifth sentence on page 23 reads:

"It was her big brother, Patrick, strolling along with four other navvies, filthy dirty and laughing their head off."

I loved that book.  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline optom3

« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2008, 11:10:09 am »
"On George Seewagen's recommendation,they enrolled me in the Eastern Lawn Tennis Association when I was nine"

From, you cannot be serious,John McEnroe.

I have already read it, but is still on the table and the book I am currently reading,Heath Ledger, Hollywoods Dark Star, by Brian Robb, has a photo on page 23, and a very lovely one it is too.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2008, 11:56:08 am »

" Pesah fed all the workers a midday meal:  the yardhand, four boys from the men's bath, the barber who did cupping with leeches for the men, three women who came everyday for the women's side and to help with the children, her friend Sadie who did the cupping for women and helped her with cooking, my mother and me. "

From the [amazing] period novel, "Beyond the Pale", by Elana Dykewomon.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2009, 12:21:29 pm »
But my body was like a harp and her words and gestures were like fingers running upon the wires.

(Dubliners, "Araby", by James Joyce)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Dobie1018

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2009, 01:50:43 pm »
"As I walked down the aisle to introduce myself to the teacher and get my slip signed, I was watching him surreptitiously."
From the book, "Twilight" by Stephenie Meyer. 

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2009, 07:23:50 pm »
"I felt I was a traitor."

Captain Corelli's Mandolin
by Louis de Bernieres
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2009, 09:57:56 pm »

"It was a peaceful night, so still that he could occasionally hear the sound of the piano down at the Dry Bean saloon."

Lonesome Dove, Larry McMurtry

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2009, 02:03:12 pm »
"So thin and frail, lost in his clothes."

~ All the Pretty Horses, Cormac McCarthy

<aside> Love your sig line, Brown Eyes!

Offline Dobie1018

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2009, 02:32:21 pm »
"Those sins would certainly include squandering his inheritance by mismanagement and extravagance, so that already by the 1530s he had been desperately in need of money and eager to profit from his religious Reformation."

The Children of Henry VIII
 by Alison Weir

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2009, 03:57:04 pm »
<aside> Love your sig line, Brown Eyes!

Thanks Sister Mod! :-*

"Even the preference for old-fashioned, stacked hangings was never completely abandoned."
Victoria Newhouse, Art and the Power of Placement

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2009, 10:18:44 pm »
Harvey rserved virtually all his affection for Joe, however, having few friends beyond an older man he worked with at Great American, Harvey's surrogate father figure.

The Mayor of Castro Street by Randy Shilts

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2009, 09:43:06 am »
"As for his father, Peter probably clashed with him as soon as he could speak."

from "The Boy from Oz - The Peter Allen Story,"
by Stephen MacLean
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2009, 12:55:44 am »
"What is more, when Proust's hesitant, shy character Saniette asks if he can visit the narrator in his hotel in Balbec, the proud, defensive tone with which he masks his friendly intentions seems exactly that of an old college acquaintance who had a manic habit of never putting himself in a situation where he might encounter rejection."

How Proust Can Change Your Life
by Alain de Botton

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2009, 04:05:31 am »
"Fill both jars with warm water."

From Chapter 17, "Grow a Stalactite," in 101 Great Science Experiments, a Step-by-Step Guide, by Neil Ardley.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2009, 09:27:13 am »
"I glanced into the mirror behind the bar, and all I saw staring back at me was the reflection of a very tired and very lonely human being."

-God on a Harley, Joan Brady
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2009, 11:17:09 am »
"And besides, as Randall frequently reminded her, if she quit then they would win, the forces of shame and denial, the people who'd praise the Lord if they forced her out of the classroom and replaced her with someone more compliant."

The Abstinence Teacher, by Tom Perrotta

In other words, the fire and brimstone crowd!

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2009, 11:45:06 am »
"When I was graduated and moved to New York in 1962 I was too poor to afford a psychoanalyst."
--Edmund White, My Lives

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2009, 05:35:14 am »
"It is recommended for rice puddings."

The Ultimate Rice Cooker Cookbook, by Beth Hensperger

(and BTW, she is referring to something called Jasmati rice, a cross between Carolina long grain rice and Thai jasmine rice)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2009, 10:00:50 am »
"It is recommended for rice puddings."

The Ultimate Rice Cooker Cookbook, by Beth Hensperger

(and BTW, she is referring to something called Jasmati rice, a cross between Carolina long grain rice and Thai jasmine rice)

Jasamati, or even basamati, in rice pudding would be deliciamati!

"After the information gathered by Landsat satellites is processed, each color of the Landsat pictures shows a different type of surface feature of Earth."

World Geography Today (a seventh-grade textbook)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2009, 10:26:49 am »
"So there's a lot more of her band involved on that record than on the first record; it's really more of an ensemble."

from Behind the Glass:  Top Record Producers Tell How they Craft the Hits by Howard Massey

(From an interview with Glenn Ballard re: Alanis Morissette)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2009, 03:31:45 pm »
The voice says, "Alvin, go to Las Vegas!"

Plato and a Platypus Walk into a Bar by Thomas Cathcart and Daniel Klein

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2009, 04:49:24 am »
"This is where you want to smother them in tender, loving fat."

Veganomicon, the Ultimate Vegan Cookbook, by Isa Chandra Moskowitz & Terry Hope Romero

From the section, "When NOT to Cook Low-Fat, Situation 1: First-Time Vegan Food-Tasters"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2009, 10:44:50 am »
"This is where you want to smother them in tender, loving fat."

What a coincidence! It says the exact same thing in the fifth sentence, 23rd page of my copy of How to Be a Perfect Mother.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2009, 10:52:07 am »
What a coincidence! It says the exact same thing in the fifth sentence, 23rd page of my copy of How to Be a Perfect Mother.

Are you sure that wasn't Hansel and Gretel go to White Castle ?

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2009, 10:03:17 am »

"The marriage bed."

Schindler's List
by Thomas Keneally
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2009, 01:37:55 am »
"On the screen, to the accompaniment of tender violins, a couple of young heterosexual lovers were kissing frantically."

The Front Runner
by Patricia Nell Warren
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline min

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2009, 04:33:36 am »
"I won, and I won by a lot, without even training for it."

It's not about the bike
by Lance Armstrong with Sally Jenkins

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2009, 09:40:00 am »
"Many of us were told repeatedly by our parents that we were stupid or dumb or lazy."

The Power is Within You
by Louise L. Hay
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline min

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2009, 08:37:41 pm »
"But then I remembered some wise words I had once heard from a woman called Grace."

Love you to bits and pieces

by Gillian Helfgott with Alissa Tanskaya

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2009, 11:23:26 am »
The needlelike bills of warblers immediately differentiate them from the seed-cracking bills of sparrows.

--Peterson Field Guides:  Eastern Birds
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2009, 11:59:07 am »
"Even in defeat Baltimore's black community won a measure of respect, however, when the big ship lines took out advertisements to apologize to black patrons and explain that they were simply obeying Maryland's new law."

Thurgood Marshall ~ American Revolutionary
by Juan Williams

Offline min

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2009, 12:56:35 pm »
"Watched students clump and talk and run on the grass, until Trevor appeared, trotting down the front steps."

Pay It Forward

by Catherine Ryan Hyde

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2009, 01:46:43 pm »
"There are many different type of taxes."

--The Unofficial Guide to Managing Rental Property by Melissa Prandi, M.P.M.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 25, 2009, 03:38:52 am »
"Bob told me to wait while he went after the pony."

A Fortunate Life
by A. B. Facey
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2009, 01:25:00 pm »
Two books, kind of equidistant:

When Beth said nothing, she went on, "He has an unusual request to make of us."

The Queen's Gambit by Walter Tevis

"Somebody was banging with a stick!"

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #76 on: July 30, 2009, 01:59:50 pm »
"As a member of one of Philadelphia's most respected artistic families, Sartain exposed Cassatt to a creative milieu not available to every young, aspiring artist."

Judith A. Barter, ed.  Mary Cassatt: Modern Woman

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #77 on: July 31, 2009, 06:14:30 pm »
"Nail-scissors," said Holmes.

The Hound of the Baskervilles, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 31, 2009, 08:05:39 pm »
Grab the nearest book, turn to page 23 and post the 5th complete sentance here. I'll go first:

"They knew Umialik had chosen Qayaq to be his son-in-law and that Umialik would not hunt anymore that day."

I've been contributing to this great thread for some time now. If I remember correctly, the first book I quoted was from a dry old text book that was the book located nearest to me at that particular time. Since then, however, my subsequent posts have quoted the 5th complete sentence on the 23rd page of the book I was presently reading or had just finished reading. Hope that's okay, Truman.  :D

Here's my latest. It's a re-read for me:

"Once long before, I had asked my father why Zeus made some men to be Hellenes living in cities with laws, some barbarians under tyrants, and others slaves."

The Last of the Wine
by Mary Renault
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline min

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #79 on: August 01, 2009, 12:38:34 am »
" 'I've never thought of you in that way,' she said helplessly."

The Painted Veil

by W. Somerset Maugham

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 01, 2009, 01:07:51 am »
" 'I've never thought of you in that way,' she said helplessly."

The Painted Veil

by W. Somerset Maugham

Ooh, I loved  the movie. I must  read the book.  :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 26, 2009, 10:04:43 am »

"This may be exaggerated, but there is no reason to dismiss all its detail as false or as malicious rumour; its source cannot be checked independently, but Olympias was a woman of wild emotion, who would later show no scruple in murdering family rivals who threatened her."

Alexander the Great

by Robin Lane Fox
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #82 on: August 26, 2009, 08:37:34 pm »

"I'm afraid he would be disappointed if he could see you now."

"The Filly" by Mark R. Probst.

Offline min

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #83 on: September 15, 2009, 06:27:06 am »
"They don't look much, but they smell wonderful."

Chocolat

by Joanne Harris

Offline min

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #84 on: September 15, 2009, 06:28:32 am »
Ooh, I loved  the movie. I must  read the book.  :)

Oh yes, The Painted Veil is one of the best movies I have ever seen, and the book is pretty darned good too.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #85 on: September 15, 2009, 05:25:28 pm »
"Coalwood, West Virginia, where I grew up, was built for the purpose of extracting the millions of tons of rich, bituminous coal that lay beneath it."

/October Sky by Homer H. Hickham

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #86 on: September 15, 2009, 05:57:48 pm »
You are sure to obey; du måste lyda.

Swedish-English/English-Swedish Dictionary

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline min

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #87 on: December 15, 2009, 04:03:23 am »
"The two questions were:  Why such a long job search? And why did you leave your previous employer?"

What Does Somebody Have to do to Get a Job Around Here?

by Cynthia Shapiro

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 15, 2009, 08:11:47 am »
"He looked down into his drink as if the voice had come out of it."

Fiddleback

by J. M. Morris
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #89 on: December 16, 2009, 09:53:35 pm »
"Using this example, blood-brotherhood could be viewed as an attempt between two men to share one another's strengths and virtues."

Blood Brotherhood and Other Rites of Male Alliance

by Nathan F. Miller and Jack Donovan
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #90 on: December 16, 2009, 11:31:32 pm »
"I'm surprised by her lack of intelligence as often as I'm surprised by her intelligence."

Eating Animals, Jonathan Safran Foer.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #91 on: December 17, 2009, 12:16:42 am »

"Soon his father would just be an old chief, worn out, no longer able to raid; the young warriors would soon cease to follow him."
Comanche Moon, Larry McMurtry

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #92 on: December 17, 2009, 04:09:13 am »
"But Susan had another idea."

Games For Reading: Playful Ways to Help Your Child Read, Peggy Kaye.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 06:49:49 am by Ellemeno »

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
Re: Okay, try this:
« Reply #93 on: January 06, 2010, 09:08:57 am »
"How do you know it was sperm?"

Holding the Man

by Timothy Conigrave
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #94 on: January 07, 2010, 07:35:31 am »
Ennis guessed she was going to ask him to get her a pack of cigarettes, bring him back sooner.

*Brokeback Mountain - Annie Proulx*

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #95 on: January 12, 2010, 06:49:16 am »
"Oh, if I could just get my two little hands--"

Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters, J. D. Salinger.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #96 on: January 12, 2010, 10:22:48 am »
"And to think that Mrs. Strunk, the proud mother of this creature, used to ask Jim, with shudders of disgust, how he could bear to touch those harmless baby king snakes!"

A Single Man by Christopher Isherwood

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #97 on: January 12, 2010, 11:06:44 am »
"He was still on his plaid/tartan/kilt kick and actually found an invitation with a dark green border and a plaid ribbon; while I had envisioned something a little more classic, I decided I could live with his choice."

"Taming Groomzilla" by E. N. Holland  (Maine Writer)

Offline tango

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #98 on: January 12, 2010, 11:33:20 am »
"For more than twenty years, I've been visiting my parents at Wynmoor Village, a gated community with walls so low I assume they were constructed not to keep cat burglars out but to keep the less nimble occupants in."

Fork it Over - The Intrepid Adventures of a Professional Eater by Alan Richman

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #99 on: January 12, 2010, 11:51:03 am »
"For more than twenty years, I've been visiting my parents at Wynmoor Village, a gated community with walls so low I assume they were constructed not to keep cat burglars out but to keep the less nimble occupants in."

Fork it Over - The Intrepid Adventures of a Professional Eater by Alan Richman

That one sentence makes me want to read the book, Tango!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #100 on: January 12, 2010, 12:20:59 pm »
"The earliest drawing by Daumier that, so far, can be dated with precision is an unpublished study, not recorded by Maison, for the lithograph The Napoleon of Peace (Le Napoléon de la paix) (LD 240), published in Le Charivari of 3 May 1835, showing the composition in reverse."

Daumier, 1808-1879 published by the National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa with the Galeries nationales du Grand Palais, Paris and The Phillips Collection, Washington, D.C., 1999.

LOL, clearly I'm at work!  ;D

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 13, 2010, 09:46:30 am »
"'My tooth,' the chief wailed again."

The Power and the Glory

Graham Greene
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline min

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #102 on: January 14, 2010, 05:16:37 pm »
"Pran whispered to Schanberg again, his voice hoarse."

The Killing Fields

Christopher Hudson

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 17, 2010, 03:04:24 am »
"Mr MacAdorey sits in an armchair with their new baby, Maisie."

Angela's Ashes

Frank McCourt
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 04, 2010, 09:30:48 am »

"Other men spent it on town women, and drink, and on fancy clothes."

The No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency

Alexander McCall Smith
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline min

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #105 on: March 10, 2010, 01:56:19 am »
"The wind blew his hair up the wrong way and he felt he must look like the kingfisher."

Heart Songs

E. Annie Proulx

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #106 on: March 10, 2010, 02:30:27 pm »
"It was all true, what everybody knew, all true about the Marxists and the vipers and the indifference of the legislature."

MOO, a novel by Jane Smiley

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 14, 2010, 11:46:40 pm »
"Her boss wants to know."

The Shipping News

Annie Proulx
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Marina

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #108 on: March 14, 2010, 11:58:17 pm »
Saute the apples slices in the melted butter over low heat, until just tender.

- from a recipe for apple danish from Yankee Magazine's Favorite New England Recipes

(Sorry, the nearest book was a cookbook!)  :)
“Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of his world.”
~Rachel Carson~

~Looking back on it, they both realized it was the best thing they ever had.~  - A Mother's Love

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #109 on: March 22, 2010, 08:10:11 am »
 :laugh:

Thank you for that Marina!  I love having a laugh in the morning!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 19, 2010, 01:40:10 am »
"A senator had recently made a speech, declaring that we should attack Cuba right now, with everything we've got, lest the Monroe Doctrine be held cheap and of no account."

A Single Man

Christopher Isherwood
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 30, 2010, 08:43:38 pm »
" 'Sometimes it is important to know,' she said."

Tears of the Giraffe

Alexander McCall Smith
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #112 on: May 30, 2010, 11:01:03 pm »
"Dry or moist woods, usually under oaks or pines."

Lawrence Newcomb
Newcomb's Wildflower Guide

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #113 on: June 01, 2010, 09:36:53 pm »

"'I wish you'd learn to drink coffee out of a cup, like the rest of us,' Lorena said."

Streets of Laredo
Larry McMurtry

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #114 on: June 02, 2010, 10:11:34 am »
"'I wish you'd learn to drink coffee out of a cup, like the rest of us,' Lorena said."

Streets of Laredo
Larry McMurtry

Whoever Lorena was talking to must've been from Texas.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #115 on: June 02, 2010, 10:16:18 am »
"Phillip, our top manager except for an occasional 'consultant' sent out by corporate headquarters, opens it with a sneer: 'The break room -- it's disgusting.'"

"Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America"
Barbara Ehrenreich

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #116 on: June 02, 2010, 10:55:40 am »
Whoever Lorena was talking to must've been from Texas.

;D  Indeed she was!

**Spoiler for those who haven't read Streets of Laredo**
She's talking to her now-husband Pea Eye and they are on their property (ranch/farm) in Texas that Lorena bought with her money inherited from Gus.  I love Lorena.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 08, 2010, 01:34:17 am »
"There were archers from Crete, slingers from Rhodes, and 3,000 infantry developed by Philip as King's men and given the name Royal Shield Bearers, who carried the large bronze shields we also see at Alexander's monument; they were trained to guard the sarissa-wielders, and also trained as commandos."

The Alexander Conspiracy

Elizabeth Collins

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline brianr

« Reply #118 on: July 08, 2010, 03:44:59 pm »
'The Belgian had wept, not for him but for himself'
A perfect waiter by Alain Claude Sulzer

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 08, 2010, 12:53:21 am »
" 'Good God, no,' I replied putting on a face as though I had just stepped in something."

The Naked Civil Servant

Quentin Crisp

(The above is Quentin's response to, " 'Are you keen on this girl you talk so much about?' a friend of my mother asked.")
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 18, 2011, 10:48:35 am »

"Beyond them were orchards of peach trees, which flourished in the sandy soil."

Wild Swans

Jung Chang
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 23, 2011, 11:46:37 pm »

"He followed me everywhere - and tried to gnaw on anything he could get his teeth around."

Marley & Me

John Grogan
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #122 on: January 24, 2011, 10:02:43 am »
"It was as if he just heard Mountain Girl's question about how was jail."

The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

Tom Wolfe

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #123 on: January 24, 2011, 10:42:10 am »
"You want to like her, you struggle to, but she is finally too despotic in her intellectual and moral intensity, her endless demonstration of cutting-edge, leather-jacketed righteousness."

The Hours, Michael Cunningham.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #124 on: January 24, 2011, 11:42:48 am »
"You want to like her, you struggle to, but she is finally too despotic in her intellectual and moral intensity, her endless demonstration of cutting-edge, leather-jacketed righteousness."

The Hours, Michael Cunningham.

Oh I love that book! I like the movie too, but the book was excellent. I need to read more of his work.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #125 on: January 24, 2011, 12:15:24 pm »
Oh I love that book! I like the movie too, but the book was excellent. I need to read more of his work.

Andrew really liked his latest By Nightfall, though he said it got off to a slow start, if I'm remembering correctly.  At the moment, all copies are checked out of the Boston Public Library.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #126 on: January 24, 2011, 12:39:13 pm »
"Pinocchio, after all, got out of that whale situation no problem."

Anthony Bourdain, Medium Raw
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #127 on: January 25, 2011, 01:55:52 pm »

"Early in the course of the organization of this exhibition, it became evident that the prints ought to be treated as the subject of an independent project."

Charles S. Moffett, "Introduction" to The New Painting: Impressionism 1874-1886

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #128 on: January 25, 2011, 08:16:13 pm »
 :P

OK, I give up. I've picked up like 10 books and none of them have a sentence worth repeating or that would say something intelligible without its context.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #129 on: January 29, 2011, 05:28:54 pm »
In that case, you should post in "Favorite Lines from movies and books" instead, friend!