Author Topic: NEW interview with Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana  (Read 5498 times)

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
NEW interview with Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana
« on: July 11, 2008, 07:29:29 am »
in which they discuss Brokeback Mountain, Heath Ledger and and many other interesting things.  It was posted on IMDB.com. The interview is worth a read. I wish I wish I were in Dallas, TX next Thursday to hear them speak.

http://www.dallasvoice.com/artman/publish/article_9320.php

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: NEW interview with Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 09:07:34 am »
http://www.dallasvoice.com/artman/publish/article_9320.php

Dallas Voice The Community Newspaper for Gay & Lesbian Dallas

Books

Literary lions

Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana co-wrote the screenplay to “Brokeback Mountain” and won Oscars for their efforts.

By Arnold Wayne Jones
Jul 10, 2008 - 4:57:36 PM

Before their appearance at the Nasher, Oscar winners Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana discuss their writing partnership, Heath Ledger and why they never called ‘Brokeback Mountain’ a ‘gay cowboy movie’

Texas literary giant Larry McMurtry has made a career chronicling the rugged but emotionally tumultuous lives of manly men. In “Lonesome Dove,” “The Last Picture Show” and their sequels, he book-ended how the Old West and the new stand side-by-side — and not always comfortably.

But for gay readers, nothing helped redefine and reimagine the idea of the Western and its menfolk like the screenplay to “Brokeback Mountain,” which he adapted with writing partner Diana Ossana from E. Annie Proulx ’s short story (and for which they won an Oscar for their efforts). Suddenly, “riding the range” took on a meaning not often discussed in cowboy culture.

The Nasher Sculpture Center hosts McMurtry and Ossana at its Salon Lecture Series on Thursday. What will they be talking about?

“We do everything pretty much free form,” Ossana says.

“We don’t have an agenda we know about — just talk and answer questions,” McMurtry adds, interrupting Ossana in a slow Texas drawl. (Each tends to talk over one other, as if speaking in one voice.) “You cover more ground in a Q&A.”

Far be it from us to argue with Larry McMurtry. Here, then, is a preview of their visit — presented, of course, as a Q&A.

Dallas Voice: As a straight Texas male, Larry, how did you react when you first read “Brokeback Mountain” and Jack and Ennis suddenly begin to have sex?
LM: My reaction was that it was dead-on accurate. I wasn’t surprised by it at all. I thought it was a great story and was moved by it; the fact there was gay love didn’t faze me at all. I grew up in the cowboy world with my father and eight brothers and I know something of how that life would have been. There wasn’t a missed beat.

DO: Larry said to me after he read the short story, “This is a story I should have written.”
LM: Yes, I should have. It was just sitting there waiting [to be told] — it had only come out in fragments [in previous stories].

Q. How do you react to the pigeonhole of “Brokeback Mountain” as “the gay cowboy movie”?
LM: We didn’t think much about that when we were writing the script. Technically, they were bisexual — both had families and a lot of that would be common with real cowboys.

DO: That the thing about labels: They weren’t even cowboys, they were wannabe cowboys — ranch hands. It’s a lot more complicated than a “gay cowboy story.” We never referred to it that way. It’s a universal love story, a very tragic story. Some people said, “It’s just ‘Romeo and Juliet’ with two men” — but it is two men! You can’t ignore that specificity. That’s what makes it a great story.

Q. Heath Ledger’s death is still pretty fresh, and his final completed film, “The Dark Knight,” opens the day after your appearance. Were you friendly with Ledger? Any thoughts about him?
LM: Diana was a friend — I tried never to be on the set. I only really met him at awards ceremonies after the film came out.

DO: I was a producer, so I was on the set. He was a very vibrant and inspired young man. He could also be exasperating but a lovely young man. I’ve already seen “The Dark Knight;” let’s just say he’s the best thing in it.

Q. It’s funny, Larry, that when the local NPR station has promoted your appearance in Dallas, they have referred to you as the author of that great Western story… “Lonesome Dove.” Whereas my thoughts always go to “Brokeback.”
LM: That’s Texas. [The irony is that] I’ve always been a critic of the West. “Hud” was my first criticism, and I always thought of “Lonesome Dove” as critical, too. I have debunked, as far as I can, the cowboy myth.
But I found that “Lonesome Dove” has reinforced that myth. [The book and miniseries have become] tremendously mythic now, like the “Gone with the Wind” of the West.

DO: They have “Lonesome Dove”-watching parties.
LM: I didn’t see the miniseries; I had nothing to do with it.

DO: … But it’s not “Gone with the Wind,” Larry —I think it’s more like King Arthur. It has that kind of mythology.

Q. What’s the most engaging thing about writing?
LM: Writing is the engagement and the best part of it. Nothing surrounding it is as pleasurable as just writing. Publishing is secondary and anyway comes way behind once you’ve retreated from the world of the book.

Q. How does a writing partnership like yours work?
DO: Neither of us ever went to school for screenwriting. You learn how to write by reading; you learn how to write screenplays by watching films. We go back and forth until we have a first draft. Larry writes much more skeletally when he writes with me.
LM: I write early — say, five pages a day. I’ll give them to Diana and she’ll work on it the rest of the day.

Q: How has your writing crystallized over the course of your career?
LM: It hasn’t crystallized.

Q. You’ve influenced a lot of writers; do you have any writers who influenced you?
LM: I’m about 28,000 volumes into my library. I was stirred by Kerouac and “On the Road” because it was so different than anything else that was around. And Cervantes. In my new memoir, I explain how in “Lonesome Dove” I recreated the classic pair from “Don Quixote:” Don Quixote and Sancho Panza — the visionary and the practical one. They are archetypes.

DO: And Ennis and Jack are the same.
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 09:12:07 am »
In my new memoir, I explain how in “Lonesome Dove” I recreated the classic pair from “Don Quixote:” Don Quixote and Sancho Panza — the visionary and the practical one. They are archetypes.

DO: And Ennis and Jack are the same.

Interesting.

Thanks for posting!
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 01:22:50 pm »
Thanks, Karl and John.

"He could also be exasperating but a lovely young man."

I wish she had elaborated on that a bit.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 01:26:37 pm »
LM: Diana was a friend — I tried never to be on the set. I only really met him at awards ceremonies after the film came out.

I found this very interesting.  I wonder why Larry was so adamant about not being on set?

I wish she would have elaborated too. 

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 01:27:32 pm »

Book! Making of Brokeback book--someone, please!!
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 03:23:54 pm »
I found this very interesting.  I wonder why Larry was so adamant about not being on set?

IDK, but maybe he didn't want to be there in case something which he'd written had been changed. He may have felt strongly about the way he wrote something, but didn't want to be in the position of defending or confronting. I guess directors can change scripts a little. The movie came out perfectly, of course.  :)
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 03:54:10 pm »
It's exciting that McMurtry cites Kerouac as one of his influences because when I read On the Road I see many parallels to Brokeback Mountain.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline BelAir

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 04:57:53 pm »
Book! Making of Brokeback book--someone, please!!

Oh!  I second that motion!

Too bad I don't know any influential people...
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 05:23:22 pm »
Thank you Karl for showing us the link and John for copying it here.  :)
It has become so rare to read new things on the making of BBM (naturally, of course), to read new statements of the people involved. All the more every new thing is a treat :).
After more than two years I still soak up every word.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 06:26:23 pm »
Wow.  Thank you so much, Karl and John, for posting this.

"And Ennis and Jack are the same."

Makes my spine tingle.

:)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 08:26:30 pm »
Thanks, Karl and John.

It always sounds odd to me when people refer to Heath as a young man.I never think of him as being young.That is not a criticism, quite the reverse,he brought such depth to his acting, he almost seemed as old as time.
I would also love to have exasperating, extrapolated a bit further.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 11:28:24 pm »

Sure enough. I wouldn't be surprised if she meant he developed very firm ideas about his character and stuck to them forcefully, even if, or when, they may have conflicted with her ideas about the character.

Just my speculation, but Heath strikes me as having been that kind of actor.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.