Author Topic: I LOVE YOU PHILLIP MORRIS  (Read 62199 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: I LOVE YOU PHILLIP MORRIS
« Reply #120 on: December 07, 2010, 11:54:50 am »

Katherine will be pleased: Dana Stevens wholeheartedly approves--

http://www.slate.com/id/2276612/

I Love You, Phillip Morris
This "gay" movie is irresistibly self-assured in its weirdness.
By Dana Stevens
Posted Monday, Dec. 6, 2010, at 12:28 PM ET

Now here's an unlikely premise for a Hollywood movie: Jim Carrey and Ewan McGregor meet in prison and fall madly in love. After they're released from jail (through a series of subterfuges too elaborate to detail here), the pair cut a swath through the American South as a team of horny, opportunistic, unrepentant con artists. The only thing more unlikely than such a movie getting made in the first place is the idea that it would find distribution, and I Love You, Phillip Morris  (Roadside Attractions) almost didn't—it sat on a shelf while distributors puzzled over how to mass market a gay romance so blithely unconcerned with earnest uplift. Phillip Morris  isn't a perfect movie by any means, but it's irresistibly self-assured in its weirdness.

The directorial debut of Glenn Ficarra and John Requa (the comedy-writing team responsible for Bad Santa ), I Love You, Phillip Morris  is based on the true story of Steven Russell. As the movie begins, Steven (played by Jim Carrey) is a churchgoing cop in Texas married to a nice Christian woman (played, delightfully, by Leslie Mann, who deserves a movie of her own already). When he's nearly killed in an auto accident, Steven abruptly decides to stop living a lie: "I'm a faggot!" he yells exultantly to the EMS workers as they carry him to the ambulance.

But after leaving his wife and children to hook up with a boyfriend in Key West, Steven realizes to his consternation that "Being gay is really expensive." So he embarks on a series of freelance swindles, eventually landing in prison for insurance fraud. When he meets the gentle Philip (Ewan McGregor) in the prison library, it's love at first sight, and Steven employs his preternatural gift for deception to get the two of them assigned as cellmates and, eventually, to spring his boyfriend from jail.

Jim Carrey has struggled in midlife to find a place for his outsized, dominating performance style, sometimes tamping it down for straight dramatic roles like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind,  sometimes hiding behind animated avatars as a voice actor in A Christmas Carol  and Horton Hears a Who.  Carrey's performance here is broad, clownlike, and, in the sex scenes especially, almost deliberately grotesque. Yet he's also vulnerable and tender. Ewan McGregor brings a screwball sweetness to his role as the blond, Southern nancy boy who's both bedazzled and shocked by his boyfriend's criminal audacity.

Though the movie is light on story, with an episodic structure that sometimes drags, I Love You, Phillip Morris  is something close to brilliant in its mastery of tone. Like Bad Santa,  it's a black comedy with a caramel center. The movie goes to some really bleak places—I can't tell you how bleak without spoiling a major twist—and shows its characters in some very unflattering lights, without ever abandoning its basic faith in the redemptive power of love. What saves that faith from being cloying is how the Steven/Phillip romance comes mixed with a heaping helping of sex—when he looks for shapes in the clouds, Steven can't help but spot a proudly erect phallus every time.

In the end, I Love You, Phillip Morris  is neither a light romantic comedy nor a pious drama of oppression. It's a passionate, amoral caper, a story of outlaw love on the run in the tradition of Breathless  or True Romance.  Without making any big proclamations, I Love You, Phillip Morris  neatly subverts our every expectation of what a "gay movie" should be.
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #121 on: December 07, 2010, 12:46:46 pm »
Katherine will be pleased: Dana Stevens wholeheartedly approves--

Thanks, John, I am! Even though Dana Stevens is one of my favorite critics, she and I don't always see eye to eye.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #122 on: December 07, 2010, 03:31:08 pm »
It appears they have plans to expand it in the exact same release pattern as Brokeback Mountain.  This Friday 12/10 they are expanding it to all the exact same theatres they expanded BBM to around here in the Bay Area in it's 2nd week (12/16/05).  And then there is this quote from Boxofficeguru.com:

"The much-delayed Jim Carrey-Ewan McGregor comedy I Love You, Phillip Morris enjoyed a solid debut with an estimated $113,200 from six sites for a $18,867 average. Released by Roadside Attractions, the R-rated film about a con man that falls in love with a fellow inmate in prison earned good marks from critics and will gradually expand throughout December ahead of a January 7 wide release."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #123 on: December 07, 2010, 05:01:39 pm »
Article by writer of the book, I love you, Phillip Morris and pics of the real Steven Russell and Phillip Morris.

http://www.houstonpress.com/2009-02-19/news/living-and-dying-with-jim-carrey-and-ewan-mcgregor-over-sundance/1

Great article and pics!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #124 on: December 07, 2010, 05:12:48 pm »
"Being gay is really expensive."

:laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #125 on: December 07, 2010, 08:38:58 pm »
Skip to about 3:50......

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd5-omFwpWE&feature=related[/youtube]
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #126 on: December 07, 2010, 10:03:48 pm »

I've always thought Letterman an ass (that's just me, of course), but now, in this clip, he seems to be a dodering old fool of an ass, someone's great-great Uncle Chester. Sorry for the dumb question, but why does he have a television show? Just wondering....

(Carrey was great.)
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #127 on: December 08, 2010, 08:51:13 pm »
It's here!!!  It's here!!!  :o  :o  :o

My computer was down when I came back from a small vacation this last weekend so my sister looked up the movie on her computer and said it was opening at our local art house on Friday!!!!

I'm there!!!!  ;D ;D  :-*

[Del does crazy happy dance until people ask her to stop]

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #128 on: December 08, 2010, 08:55:57 pm »

My computer was down when I came back from a small vacation this last weekend so my sister looked up the movie on her computer and said it was opening at our local art house on Friday!!!!

Yay!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #129 on: December 14, 2010, 04:13:47 pm »

So did you go?