Author Topic: I LOVE YOU PHILLIP MORRIS  (Read 61824 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: I LOVE YOU PHILLIP MORRIS
« Reply #130 on: December 14, 2010, 07:34:56 pm »
So did you go?

No, can you believe it?  Waited all this time and it opened on a weekend where I got swamped with other things to do.

I am going tomorrow evening though.  My goodness, my local arthouse has like 11 showings of it per day.  I'll let you guys know tomorrow!!!!

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #131 on: December 14, 2010, 07:43:25 pm »
Hurry up and go....

The two local art-houses here in San Jose are cutting it back to only 2 showtimes per day starting Friday.  I guess they did not get the count (attendance) they'd hoped for....

This also will probably nix any further expansion plans for the movie beyond December.  T-T-T-That's all folks.  Look for it on DVD by February....  :-\

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #132 on: December 14, 2010, 08:39:22 pm »
Hurry up and go....

The two local art-houses here in San Jose are cutting it back to only 2 showtimes per day starting Friday.  I guess they did not get the count (attendance) they'd hoped for....

This also will probably nix any further expansion plans for the movie beyond December.  T-T-T-That's all folks.  Look for it on DVD by February....  :-\

I'll make it. [determined look]

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #133 on: December 15, 2010, 11:24:02 pm »
Saw it!!

Loved it!!

I went on a weeknight, but there were still people there.  Not so much a gay crowd as a mixed crowd of young and old.  As I was leaving I heard people say, "It was good."  

No, not the greatest movie in the world, but in a very short 100 minutes - and the movie went by super fast - the producer/director/writers managed to tell quite a bit.

It was a true dramedy.  It suffers a bit in the drama part because what happens in the comedy section is so absurd that you're kind of waiting for the next absurdity.

But the movie can't help it.  The outlandish parts really did happen.  It's a true story.

I'd read the book, so the ending didn't hit me as it might have others, so now I wish I hadn't read the book or known anything about the characters so I could feel it more.  As it was, the drama was sincere and serious (quite serious in one situation) and the acting in the drama parts was exceptional enough as it was to still get me a little misty eyed.  Jim Carrey surprised me.  I actually did stop seeing Jim Carrey and started to see his character, especially toward the end.

Ewan McGregor - as usual - was superb.  The best actor by far.  Completely sincere, plays it completely straight (so to speak).  Never shows the least bit hesitation in what the part calls for.  He's amazing and gods, so adorable, I'd do time for him too.  ;D

The prison love affair was really quite romantic.  The dance scene was amazingly tender and loving and completely believable and held that mood even as an absurdity was going on in the background.

The homosexuality of the characters is never played for laughs, or as a joke.  It simply is, as the movie goes on.

So very much recommend this movie.  I even enjoyed the cameo by the real Phillip Morris near the end.

I hope to see it again before it leaves the theaters.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #134 on: December 16, 2010, 12:10:57 am »
I'm so glad you enjoyed the movie and your perceptions are right on!

The prison love affair was really quite romantic.  The dance scene was amazingly tender and loving and completely believable and held that mood even as an absurdity was going on in the background.

Isn't that the truth!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #135 on: December 16, 2010, 12:36:24 am »
I'm so glad you enjoyed the movie and your perceptions are right on!

Isn't that the truth!!

The more I think about it, the more the love story comes across as genuine and very sweet.  It was a real love story, and the writers/actors/directors managed to get that on screen believably and it comes across as very real.  Because Steven Russell had found true love and like most of us, he'd never had it before and was willing to do anything to keep it.

It reminds me of what a historian one time said about Anne Bolyen and Henry VIII.  Serious historians can dodge and circle around the love affair of the two all they want when talking about Tudor politics or the rationale behind England's split from RCC, but when you strip away everything else, and get down to the brass tacks, it all happened because Henry VIII wanted Anne Boleyn.  Period.

So all that Steven Russell did was because he wanted Phillip Morris.  Period.  :)

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #136 on: December 16, 2010, 02:34:20 am »

The homosexuality of the characters is never played for laughs, or as a joke.  It simply is, as the movie goes on.

And that's the magic of this movie.  It's not the centerpiece.

However, I saw it again tonight, this time at the CineArts in San Jose here, very suburban area, and 3 people walked out after the first gay sex scene.  Loosers!!!

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #137 on: December 17, 2010, 05:39:57 pm »
Ok, I see this is now playing in Seattle at the Egyptian Theatre,  and in Denver at the Mayan Theatre.  I want crowd reports!  :D

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
« Reply #138 on: December 17, 2010, 08:24:57 pm »
Finally!  I see it's playing both at the multiplex and the art house cinema. 

Despite another nasty cold and expected snow, I'll try to see it this week.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #139 on: December 17, 2010, 09:48:11 pm »
Question to anyone who's seen it:

In the early early trailers of the movie - a year of more ago - in the scene where the prisoners are gathered to watch a movie.  When I saw the trailer, the movie playing was "Ghost".  When I finally saw the movie a few days ago, the movie the prisoners were watching was some black and white movie I didn't know.

Anyone else notice this?