Author Topic: TOTW 19/08: TOTW questionnaire!  (Read 8205 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
TOTW 19/08: TOTW questionnaire!
« on: July 15, 2008, 01:08:44 pm »
Hiya BetterMostians :)

After a longer than planned hiatus, the TOTW is back! :D

This week, I don't have a new Brokeback Mountain related topic, but a short questionnaire about the feature of the TOTW itself.
Since I'm a day late and I want to give everybody who's interested the chance to chime in with their opinion, I will let this topic/questionnaire run for two weeks!

There may be some changes regarding the TOTW in the future and therefore I need your input. I hope as many people as possible will participate and have their say, because I want to make the TOTW not (only) for my personal pleasure, but for all BetterMostians who are interested in discussing the movie and short story.

Additionally to the questionnaire, every idea is welcome! Be it a suggestion for a topic, an idea for a different procedure or whatever. I'm also looking forward to (positive or negative) constructive criticism.

Answer as many questions as you want (the more, the merrier for me). Answer as short or as detailed as you want. Some questions can be answered by a simple yes or no, but you're welcome to elaborate further.

:DI thank everybody for their participation! :D

Penthesilea
Moderator Open Forum

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
Re: TOTW 19/08: TOTW questionnaire!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 01:10:10 pm »
1) Movie vs. short story
Over the last year, the focus of the different topics was more on the movie than the short story. We had some topics which were „story only“, and many which could be discussed from both viewpoints, movie or story related. Sometimes both are congruent, sometimes they give different POVs.

Do you want the TOTW to focus more often on the short story?

2) Symbolism
Symbolism: some BetterMostians are big on discussing symbolisms in both, movie and story, others think it has been taken much too far anyway and are not (very) interested in them. I plan to have a SOTW (Symbolism of the Week) from time to time (we had only one so far).

What's your general take on symbolism discussions? Interested or not?

3) Polls
Do you think I should include polls to the TOTW more often than done before?

4) Frequency
Do you think we should have a fresh TOTW every week? Or would you prefer a different span of time (which? biweekly, monthly, ....?)

5) Scene vs. character discussion
In general: do you prefer more scene-driven topics or more character driven topics? Examples: „What do you make of the Maybe Texas scene?“ for a scene-driven topic.  „Was ;Mr. Twist homophobic?“ for a character-driven topic. Do you have any preference at all?

6) Would you like to discuss speculative topics?
While discussion is often speculative and there is no definite answer to many topics about the movie/story, there are some questions which are speculative on a higher level.
Examples: „Do you think Ennis would have come around if Jack hadn't died?“ is far less speculative than „Do you think they kept each others postcards?“ because for the first question we have starting points and many clues from the movie/story, whereas there is much less manifest material about the second question.

7)What else?
You have more to say? I forgot an important question? You do have an idea? You want to tell me what you like or don't like about the TOTW feature? Go on, here's the place for it!

BTW, this is the most important part of the questionnaire to me. To find out things I don't think of myself!
I'm only one person, but the joint efforts of many people sure will bring out many good aspects.

Offline BelAir

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 02:50:46 pm »

After a longer than planned hiatus, the TOTW is back! :D

Oh yeah!  I was starting to get worried, lol!

::)
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline BelAir

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 02:54:53 pm »

Symbolism: some BetterMostians are big on discussing symbolisms in both, movie and story, others think it has been taken much too far anyway and are not (very) interested in them. I plan to have a SOTW (Symbolism of the Week) from time to time (we had only one so far).

Do you think we should have a fresh TOTW every week? Or would you prefer a different span of time (which? biweekly, monthly, ....?)

In general: do you prefer more scene-driven topics or more character driven topics? Examples: „What do you make of the Maybe Texas scene?“ for a scene-driven topic.  „Was ;Mr. Twist homophobic?“ for a character-driven topic. Do you have any preference at all?

Would you like to discuss speculative topics? While discussion is often speculative and there is no definite answer to many topics about the movie/story, there are some questions which are speculative on a higher level.
Examples: „Do you think Ennis would have come around if Jack hadn't died?“ is far less speculative than „Do you think they kept each others postcards?“ because for the first question we have starting points and many clues from the movie/story, whereas there is much less manifest material about the second question.

You have more to say? I forgot an important question? You do have an idea? You want to tell me what you like or don't like about the TOTW feature? Go on, here's the place for it!

I don't participate in the TOTW all that much - but I always read the topic and give something passing thought to it at least...  my general less than 2 cents opinion is that all of the above are fine, as long as there is variety!

;)
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 04:49:36 pm »
1) Movie vs. short story - Do you want the TOTW to focus more often on the short story? I prefer discussions of the film. I do think that it is important not to mix the two in discussion without making note of the change of reference.

2) Symbolism -  What's your general take on symbolism discussions? Interested or not? Discussions of symbology are interesting, and can contribute to a more complete understanding of the film or the short story. 

3) Polls - I am not particularly interested in polls of Brokeback Mountain topics.

4) Frequency - Do you think we should have a fresh TOTW every week? Or would you prefer a different span of time (which? biweekly, monthly, ....?) Weekly TOTW is about right, although some discussions may take longer than one week and consideration for a "hot topic" might be made.

5) Scene vs. character discussion - both are interesting, I personally enjoy a discussion of the visual structure of the film the most

6) Would you like to discuss speculative topics? I am not sure what a speculative topic is

7)What else? nothing

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 07:49:04 pm »
Over the last year, the focus of the different topics was more on the movie than the short story. We had some topics which were „story only“, and many which could be discussed from both viewpoints, movie or story related. Sometimes both are congruent, sometimes they give different POVs.

First, thanks for taking the time to prepare this questionnaire, Chrissi.  It's a good reminder to me that I need to take the time to post my thoughts rather than just nod along in agreement when I'm reading the wonderful comments.   :)

As for the focus, I read the short story before I saw the movie, so it does have special meaning to me.  I don't necessarily think there should be more focus on the short story instead of the movie, but I think it would be interesting to see a few more "short story" topics.  For example (and there may already be a thread about this?), I've always been fascinated with the idea that AP specifically noted that Ennis phoned Jack to tell him about the divorce, which was a departure from their normal form of communication.  There has to be a reason for that - I don't think she put a comma or a semi-colon in the story without a reason for it.  We're told that Jack "misunderstood the reason for the call," which makes me wonder what on earth Ennis could have said to make Jack think he was ready to start the c&c, and how they got their wires crossed so badly, especially in a phone conversation where there is give and take. 

Interested.  As I stated above, I think AP carefully planned every word in the story.  I think Ang Lee was just as careful with the movie.

Sure.  An occasional poll is a good idea.  I guess it depends on the topic.

Weekly seems fine.  From what I can see, there's no "time limit" on a topic, so if someone thinks of something after that week, they could always come back to it. 

I don't think I have a preference.  Again, it depends.

While discussion is often speculative and there is no definite answer to many topics about the movie/story, there are some questions which are speculative on a higher level.

Well, I guess the example I gave above about the phone call is pretty speculative.  So as long as it's not too far "out there" speculation is good.   

I can't think of any more ideas at the moment, Chrissi.  But I'll let you know if I do. There's certainly nothing about the TOTW that I don't like!

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline optom3

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 07:55:20 pm »
1) Movie vs. short story

I am happy with either film or ss or a combo.

2) Symbolism

Not.

3) Polls

Not for me, I prefer the existing format, because you ever know what sort of tangent the discussions will go off on.

4) Frequency

I like weekly,simply because if it is a subject I am not so interested in, I don't have to wait long for a new topic.

Definitely character.

7)What else?

BTW, this is the most important part of the questionnaire to me. To find out things I don't think of myself!
I'm only one person, but the joint efforts of many people sure will bring out many good aspects.

I personally go back to the ss  frequently.I find some of the disparity between the 2 interesting, such as Ennis seems more loving in the ss than film.I often ponder why that is.So I like to speculate on the differences between the 2.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 03:54:57 am »
1) Movie vs. short story

It could, that would be great.

2) Symbolism

Yes, I love that stuff.  :)

3) Polls

Polls can be fun.

4) Frequency

I'm flexible.  I do like when topics are on the banner and get high participation that way.  So how often isn't as important to me as letting people know about it to participate in it.

Both, or other.  :)

I'm open to this, but not as attracted.

7)What else?

I love the topic of the week (though have no need for it to be weekly or any particular frequency).  I do get confused by the numbering system, and don't care for it.  But I love that you do this service for us, Chrissi, and I really appreciate it.  I also like how open you are to people's ideas for topics.  Yay Chrissi!

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 12:18:02 pm »

1) Movie vs. short story

Generally, I like the balance between discussions of the short story and film, and would like to keep that. If that means more discussions about the short story, then I'm in favor of it.

2) Symbolism

I like the idea of a Symbolism of the Week thread. Sometimes discussions of symbolism get a little out in the ozone, but people regularly point out things I'd overlooked.

3) Polls

No opinion on that, but polls are always interesting.

4) Frequency

I'd like a little more time, maybe biweekly or every 10 days unless that would get too confusing.  Monthly would definitely be too long.

No; I prefer a mixture of both.

Yes, I like speculative topics, of both the kinds you've mentioned.

Offline KristinDaBomb

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 02:03:45 am »
1) Movie vs. short story

*Well, I actually saw the movie before I read the SS, so the movie has a special place in my heart. But focusing on it more wouldn't be a bad idea.

2) Symbolism

*I really like the idea of a SOTW. I would love to see that happen and participate in it.

3) Polls

*Polls are fun, so why not? That would be good.

4) Frequency

*I think biweekly might be best. I think that would give enough time for people to post and read the topics, yet not bored, or anxious for another one.

*I don't have a preference.

*I would love to discuss topics like that. In fact, the ones you mentioned as examples are great.

7)What else?

*I think you got everything!

xoxo

~Kristin~

<3

Offline Artiste

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 09:46:24 am »
Merci, that's thanks for trying to revive our/my favorite story and movie: Brokeback Mountain !!

1) Movie vs. short story - Do you want the TOTW to focus more often on the short story?

Like Brokeplex and others, I prefer too discussions of the film... at numerous times !! The film are visuals more readily for us (since we are lasy as humans and think or imagine less ?? Unfortunately !!)

However, I think that we are missing A GREAT DEAL about the short story, and maybe we should accent that much, much more !!

I  think that it is important to mix afterwards the two in some discussions.

2) Symbolism -  What's your general take on symbolism discussions? Interested or not?

Of course, discussions of symbols are interesting, and can be more so, as have been done, may I say ! Like Brokeplex and other say, they can contribute to a more complete understanding of the film or the short story. 

I find it sad that more as well as different levels of myths... like symbolism, etc., are NOT talked about, since these could enrich individuals and society and the world too !!!

3) Polls - I like polls of Brokeback Mountain topics.
And suggest that many more be done !!

4) Frequency - Do you think we should have a fresh TOTW every week? Or would you prefer a different span of time (which? biweekly, monthly, ....?)

May I quote Brokeplex there:
      Weekly TOTW is about right, although some discussions may take longer than one week and consideration for a "hot topic" might be made.

And may I add:
Let it be longer when it's possible and wanted by one, many or all members !!
At times, the mind needs time; so does a subject which is simple or complex at first glance... which lets us discover life/lives !! And we all contirubute and learn... with facts, proofs, etc., thoughts, research, and then we can say: oh, that is news... I never thought of that !! Etc. !

5) Scene vs. character discussion:

both are interesting !!

6) Would you like to discuss speculative topics?  A speculative topic: yes !! Indeed many !! Like the story is more for gays, and the movie more anti-gays in some ways !! Is that speculative ?

7)What else? Much, much, much more !!

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 07:38:35 pm »
1) Movie vs. short story

Yes, because people need to read.

2) Symbolism

What's your general take on symbolism discussions? Interested or not? It would be okay, I think  it has been well discussed.

3) Polls
Do you think I should include polls to the TOTW more often than done before? Okay.

4) Frequency
Do you think we should have a fresh TOTW every week? Or would you prefer a different span of time (which? biweekly, monthly, ....?) I would say every two weeks.

No preference

I think it is well discussed already

7)What else?

I would like to see expanded discussion of Annie Proulx's other works.

"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2008, 01:13:43 am »
First, I would like to say that I really enjoy the Topic of the Week discussions, even though I don't always post, mostly because I rarely feel like I have anything new to add.  Still, I enjoy revisiting these discussions.

1) Movie vs. short story

I think it might be a good idea to alternate the topics.  I came to BBM via the short story first, but I think most people probably had the movie experience first.  At any rate, they complement each other, IMO, and you wouldn't have the movie without the short story, so I like including both.

2) Symbolism

I enjoy these type of discussions!  :)

3) Polls

Polls are fun, especially when people respond with additional information in the thread.

4) Frequency

One to two weeks seems about right, and we can always revisit older threads when ideas occur!

I don't have a real preference here...the variety is interesting.

I don't seem to get as engaged with speculative topics, which you can entirely blame on my lack of imagination, but they can be fun.

7)What else?

I would like to see expanded discussion of Annie Proulx's other works.

I agree, but since I'm the person with the New Yorker containing Annie's latest story in her backpack unread, I can't really say anything.  I think it's great we're talking about THE DARK KNIGHT, tho, and I enjoyed discussing LUST, CAUTION back when it was new.  It might be good to expand the TOTW to include projects relating to BBM principals for future ideas.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline BlissC

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • There ain't never enough time...
    • NeonBlue Dreams
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2008, 06:18:06 am »
1) Movie vs. short story

So long as it's Brokeback, I don't mind.

I think there's a lot of scope still for symbolism discussions, but I don't necessarily think it needs to be separate from other TOTW topics - there's so much symbolism in BBM that it comes up anyhow within many discussions.

Polls can be a useful way to gauge opinion if it's a topic where there's a fairly simply yes/no option a/option b/option c etc. split, but often with polls there'll be a fair number of people who won't fall into any one category and will want an "other" option. I think it's probably a fun addition that could be added to a lot of discussions, but the real fun's always going to be in the discussions.

Definitely weekly. I think apart from the fact that one discussion that goes on and on for weeks can get a little tiresome (though obviously if people think of something else they naturally will "resurrect" an old TOTW) a weekly topic's one way to keep the forum busy and people interested in what's going on. Sunday's I always look forward to checking out what the week's topic's going to be, and I think for those who visit Bettermost on a more infrequent basis, having a TOTW that regularly changes is one way of drawing them back into discussions. If you've been away from the forum for a while you might feel a bit self-conscious about just jumping into discussions, but having a well "signposted" TOTW gives a focal point to the forum so people can quickly see what's new and join in.

With a large forum like Bettermost with a large volume of new posts and threads every day it can seem a little overwhelming at first knowing where to look and what's going on, and I think for new members especially the TOTW feature is very useful because it's a focal point and the regular contributors tend to show up on TOTW threads so it's one way of new residents getting to know the townsfolk.

On my own forum I introduced a weekly TOTW last year, and mostly (unless I'm busy and forget to change the topic or run out of ideas  :laugh:) we change the topic weekly. Occasionally if it's something the members really get stuck into and start arguing about debating heatedly we'll let it run for a couple of weeks, but usually after about a week or so the regular members tend to drift off naturally to other things and the topic slips from the radar.

As long as it's Brokeback, I don't mind.  ;D

Would you like to discuss speculative topics?

I think speculative topics are good topics, because while there must be a finite number of interpretations or explanations to something like "In the four year reunion scene, why did Alma ask Ennis to get her a pack of smokes?", a speculative topic has an infinite number of ways different people will interpret sometimes both the question and the scene or character or aspect of the film/story, and while there are a finite number of scenes in the film you can discuss, characters' motivations and feelings and "what if's" are where we're given the most material as inspiration.

My suggestion would be to have a board specifically for the TOTW discussions. On my forum I have a "Debating Room" (I was lacking inspiration that day for what to call it  :laugh:) and all our TOTWs are kept together in there.  Members like having them all in one place because they know each week that that's where they'll find the latest "hot topic" and also if they think of something they want to add to previous TOTWs they know where they'll find them without having to hunt through the entire forum trying to remember when the topic was started, who by etc. etc.

For TOTWs I'd suggest staying away from topics that are only relevant to a specific area, for example the TOTW a few weeks ago on Bravo's screening of BBM. It's obviously an important topic that needs discussing, but maybe not entirely suitable for a TOTW. For those of us on the other side of the pond, it's not particularly relevant, not having seen that particular screening and not necessarily knowing about all the ins and outs of the politics of US TV and broadcasting etc. Though I think I probably posted a couple of times on that particular thread, it wasn't something that I felt I could particularly contribute to.

"No matter how hard you try, You're still in prison, If ya born with wings and you never fly."

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2008, 12:26:14 pm »
I want to thank everybody who replied so far! You're great, and your FB is very useful. I've already read interesting things and gotten some ideas from it. I really appreciate it :).

I'll work my way carefully through all replies after the survey will be closed and will let you know the outcome. Please allow me a few weeks for that.

And don't forget that the questionnaire runs for two weeks (till July, 28th). So everybody still can chime in :).

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2008, 03:22:47 am »

And don't forget that the questionnaire runs for two weeks (till July, 28th). So everybody still can chime in :).

Chrissi, whyntcha put it on the banner with a link?  :)  Get a few more respondents.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2008, 05:14:49 am »

Chrissi, whyntcha put it on the banner with a link?  :)  Get a few more respondents.

It was on the banner for almost a week. People tend to get "banner blind" is there's the same stuff up all the time. I'll put it up again towards the end of the week and will leave it till Monday evening (your time zone).

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2008, 12:20:15 pm »
Hey folks, the fact that I've already gotten some ideas from people's FB doesn't mean I couldn't use more of it! ;D

So here's a *bump* for this thread in the hope more BetterMostians will chime in :).

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2008, 09:06:31 pm »
1) Movie vs. short story

Do you want the TOTW to focus more often on the short story? I like for them both to be mixed together, because that's the way it is in my head!
2) Symbolism

What's your general take on symbolism discussions? Interested or not? Very interested! In fact, when Amanda visited me last week, she pointed out some symbolism in the movie that I had not noticed before! I am particularly interested in symbols in the story that are also used in the movie, but perhaps in a different way.
3) Polls
Do you think I should include polls to the TOTW more often than done before? Polls are good as a change of pace.
4) Frequency
Do you think we should have a fresh TOTW every week? Or would you prefer a different span of time (which? biweekly, monthly, ....?)Yes, I would love to see a new one every week, sorry if this is making more work for the moderators!
In general: do you prefer more scene-driven topics or more character driven topics? Examples: „What do you make of the Maybe Texas scene?“ for a scene-driven topic.  „Was ;Mr. Twist homophobic?“ for a character-driven topic. Do you have any preference at all? I like them all! No preference!
Like Lynne, I am less interested in these, probably because my imagination only goes so far!
7)What else? See my answer to question 2!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2008, 12:06:09 pm »

1) Movie vs. short story

I personally tend to gravitate towards the film when I think about BBM related questions, when it's left open-ended about whether or not the question relates to the film or story.  But, I do think it would be nice to focus on questions exclusively about the story from time to time, because analysis of writing can really be so different from visual/film analysis.  And, it might be nice simply for the sake of variety.

2) Symbolism

You know I love the symbolism!! 8)

3) Polls

I like the idea of changing the format of TOTW sometimes, again, mainly because variety keeps things fresh and interesting.

4) Frequency

I think weekly works really well.  I feel like TOTW keeps Open Forum really lively, active and fresh.  Maybe for really complicated topics or topics that really catch people's attention and become popular, bi-weekly could work.

I like the variety in questions.  It seems like a good idea to change the type of topic from week to week.  For instance, one week have a question about scene anaylsis from the film, the next week have a question about a specific passage or even sentence from the story and the next week have a question about film production, etc.  Switching things up I think generates curiosity.  I also think variety in the tone of questioning is important.  For instance if one week there's a really sad/serious question about the death of a character, etc. then it seems nice to have a more lighthearted question the next week.  I say all this about variety, but I should also note that this seems to be how TOTW has been functioning anyway.  So, I think it works very well.

I like the speculative questions because they actually seem to reveal a lot about the BetterMostian who's speculating... and how that BetterMostian relates to BBM.  It should always be understood, though, that speculative questions are really, really subjective and can't possibly lead to any singular "correct" answer.

7)What else?

Chirssi I think the TOTW concept is so, so good.  You know I've complimented you and Open Forum for this feature for a long time.  As I've mentioned in these answers, I think it does such a good job at keeping Open Forum fresh.  One thing that I really like too is that you often find your questions and topics from BetterMostians who suggest them to you.  I think that's a great idea to continue since it leads to even more participation.

Great job in generaly.  And, Yeehaw for TOTW!
:D

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Artiste

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2008, 12:09:56 pm »
Interesting, yes very interesting posts !

May there be more... may I ask !