Author Topic: I had a life, once  (Read 37451 times)

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: I had a life, once
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2006, 12:06:38 am »
"Sure enough"   ;D

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2006, 06:24:21 am »
Me too! And I get a secret little thrill whenever I say something in ordinary conversation like "I swear" or "Tell you what" or "hunh" or "high-altitude f*ck" (OK, so I've never actually said that last one).  ::)
Me too! Me too!

Love the "brain-liquifying levels of dreaminess" too!!

Sorry, my comments are not adding much to this thread, but I always think that sadly, soon I'll be over BBM, but it isn't so! It goes on and on.. It's little things, but they are there!! Just yesterday there was a funny BBM-happening, but I'll disclose that in a seperate thread..  ;D

ABSOLUTELY LOVE this thread! 100%..

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

tiawahcowboy

« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2006, 09:48:45 am »
Oh, I still have the same life I had before I ever heard of the words "Brokeback Mountain."

Many of the expressions which Annie Proulx used in her short story, I had been using or had heard other people using them.

I do say that if a person has become so obsessed with a fiction story in movie form, where not even one historical fact that can be documented is mentioned, said person needs to see a licensed and certified mental health professional, such as a psychiatrist, psychologist, social worker or some other person with a therapy title.

Yes, I do say the obsessed with Brokeback Mountain persons do have a psychological problem. Oh, I am not an expert on psychology; but, since I took so many psychology related courses in university for both of my degrees, I was state-certified to teach a high school course in the subject. 

All I have done since I read the book and later saw the movie has been to give examples from the movie and/or the book in internet discussions of the type that I have been involved in since the summer of 1998 when I first got on the internet.

Almost every issue raised or life situation in the movie can be discussed in one or more of the 10 Yahoo Groups which I created and are currently active.

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2006, 10:13:08 am »
Tiawahcowboy, I think you are in reversed denial!

;D

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2006, 10:17:16 am »

;D

~ j U d E

That's telling him!
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

tiawahcowboy

« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2006, 12:05:17 pm »

;D

~ j U d E

Could you explain what "in reversed denial" means, JudeW?

tiawahcowboy

« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2006, 12:13:20 pm »
I have had some off-the-board BetterMost Forums member discussions about how some of the members of this forum have let a fictional story take over their lives almost like they were possessed by a non-existent spirit.

Maybe since Jack's mother believed in the Pentecost and it has been documented with those involved in the movie production that she was a Pentecostal, maybe the special Holy Spirit gift of casting out unwanted spirits should be exercised.

Pentecostals don't practice the catholic rituals of exorcism; they just believe in laying hands on the possessed person and tell the unwanted spirit to leave in the Name of Jesus.

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2006, 12:15:27 pm »
I do say that if a person has become so obsessed with a fiction story in movie form, where not even one historical fact that can be documented is mentioned, said person needs to see a licensed and certified mental health professional, such as a psychiatrist, psychologist, social worker or some other person with a therapy title.

I think you just described my Lord of the Rings obsession. ;D

In all seriousness, I think discussing movies/books on the internet, or writing and reading fan fiction, or laughing at jokes that nobody else gets, are no worse as hobbies than, say, watching American Idol or the NBA play-offs. They're better activities, I think -- they work our emotions and our brains. They aren't passive activities.

And it's possible to eventually balance life and obsessions. (I'm still holding down a job, raising a kid, training to run a high-altitude marathon... I don't clean my house much, but I was never very good about that.)
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

tiawahcowboy

« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2006, 12:30:43 pm »
Not judging anyone, I just don't watch American Idol nor do I watch team sports programs.

One's hobbies, aka favorite leisure time activities or occupations, should give one an uplift in life, which some of us local people call recharging one's batteries; they should not bring one down.

One is not supposed to let what was once a hobby become an obsession.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2006, 03:53:46 pm »
To get this back to being funny....

someone?
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!