Author Topic: I had a life, once  (Read 37068 times)

Offline DeeDee

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: I had a life, once
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2006, 04:18:43 pm »
Not judging anyone, I just don't watch American Idol nor do I watch team sports programs.

One's hobbies, aka favorite leisure time activities or occupations, should give one an uplift in life, which some of us local people call recharging one's batteries; they should not bring one down.

One is not supposed to let what was once a hobby become an obsession.

Maybe, just maybe, one wants his or her said hobby to become an obsession.
Maybe one doesn't have much else in life.
Maybe one doesn't need their batteries recharged.
Maybe one wants to buy new ones..

Idol Rocks!!        Go Yankees!!

Les: ;)
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2006, 04:29:04 pm »

One is not supposed to let what was once a hobby become an obsession.

I didn't get that memo so...

My house is covered in fur balls
My cats hate me cuz I'm always at the computer
Dinner consists of meals in a can
I am up waayyyy too late-Fan fiction is going to be the death of me-when it stops being the life for me!

O0

Heathen

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2006, 05:42:04 pm »
I didn't get that memo so...

LOL neither did I

I also didn't get the memo that says Jack and Ennis are fictional characters with no connection to real life, whatsoever.

To me, they are as real as any of my friends--they talk to me, I hear their voices, and now I have started receiving email from them. Seriously!

L
xo
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2006, 06:18:59 pm »
To me, they are as real as any of my friends--they talk to me, I hear their voices, and now I have started receiving email from them. Seriously!

Leslie,

Would you pass my e-mail address to Ennis and Jack too?

You guys are funny, and this thread is too funny. 

I identify myself with a lot of what you have shared .  I still have the BBM Fever article saved on my laptop.  :)

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2006, 07:29:20 pm »
I still have the BBM Fever article saved on my laptop.  :)

JennyC, what is the Brokeback Mountain Fever article?  Can you tell me where I can view it?

tks,

J
Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2006, 07:38:31 pm »
JennyC, what is the Brokeback Mountain Fever article?  Can you tell me where I can view it?

tks,

J

Brokeback Fever: A New Clinical Entity

I wrote it before I stared on my story. It is posted over in the Brokeback Fan Fiction section...last one on the list, I think.

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=492.0

Leslie
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 07:41:02 pm by lnicoll »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2006, 07:46:27 pm »
And if Ennis and Jack are not real, why the hell are they always talkin' to me?!

O0

Heathen

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2006, 09:02:22 pm »
My cats hate me cuz I'm always at the computer

I KNOW!!  My kitten feels the same way about me!  She's also mad that I've decided to call her a "fuzzy" much in the same manner as Aguirre calls the sheep "woolies."  One of my new favorite vocab words.

Dinner consists of meals in a can

By any chance do those meals in a can consist of beans?  Hmmmm?   I've truly been eating more beans lately than ever before. 
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

tiawahcowboy

« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2006, 09:09:25 pm »
I KNOW and have known real life people who have/had lives and personalities similar to those of the fictional Jack Twist and Ennis Del Mar.

Annie Proulx's Brokeback Mountain short story is like the stories, aka parables, Jesus told. His parables were not true stories but stories with a moral lesson to them.

Offline wolf

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2006, 10:10:54 pm »
I KNOW and have known real life people who have/had lives and personalities similar to those of the fictional Jack Twist and Ennis Del Mar.

Annie Proulx's Brokeback Mountain short story is like the stories, aka parables, Jesus told. His parables were not true stories but stories with a moral lesson to them.

With the greatest respect, tiawahcowboy, some of us (who shall ..... ahem .... remain nameless) have backgrounds in the real thing, ie, psychiatry.  They might say that a hobby or interest is only problematic when it impacts negatively on relationships and ability to function long term.  They might also, in a completely off the record, casual sort of way, diagnose the vast majority of Brokies with a galloping case of sanity.  It's blazingly apparent to me that (I'll use the quantifier again) the vast majority have clearly demonstrated significant POSITIVE change in their lives as a result of being touched by Brokeback Mountain.

Now, I'd like to ask you if you'd have us sit at home and wait to die, American Idol notwithstanding.    Whether it's the hand of God at work, or simply a unique piece of art released into an unsuspecting world, I can't say, but either way it's all GOOD.  Who gives a flying f*#ck about our Brokespeak, and our collectables, and our repeated viewings, and our foruming late into the night.  None of those things, alone or together, amount to anything remotely approaching psychosis or even mild dysfunction. 

Tell you what, the truth is, it could be like this, just like this, always.  It'd be a sweet life, for what it's worth.  For how long?  Long as we can ride it.  I'm posting four hours a day (don't want no game and fish catching me on no forum) and I'm gettin' tired of this dumbass missing.  We can get together, way the hell out in the middle of the thread, but seeing eye to eye on this, no way.

W