Author Topic: I had a life, once  (Read 37065 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: I had a life, once
« Reply #80 on: June 02, 2006, 04:58:10 pm »
In my old life, I used to listen to NPR. I used to watch the news. Somehow or another, I totally missed that there was an earthquake in Indonesia...

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #81 on: June 02, 2006, 06:22:24 pm »
In my old life, I used to listen to NPR. I used to watch the news. Somehow or another, I totally missed that there was an earthquake in Indonesia...

I hear you Leslie.  I still listen to NPR during my commute, but no nightly news for me too.  I almost never missed an episode of The Sopranos, but I lost track of this season's episodes (partly because the season is not that good) since I can not pull myself away from the computer when the show is on.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #82 on: June 02, 2006, 07:58:20 pm »
Dinner consists of meals in a can

Oh, see, now that's where you and I differ, Ruby.  I'm nore of a mocrowaved frozie sort of person.  Sometimes I can get in a couple of threads or PMs while waiting for it to cook.  And then I can sit at the table with my laptop in front of me while I eat.  It doesn't get much better than that.  Multi-tasking!  :laugh:

Offline PatSinnott

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Tell you what.......the truth is........
« Reply #83 on: June 03, 2006, 08:03:29 pm »
You 'n Alma.

That's a life?

« Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 02:30:07 pm by PatSinnott »
..yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #84 on: June 04, 2006, 09:04:49 am »
You shut up about Alma.  This ain't her fault.

(It's Jack's and Ennis' fault.  'Cause o' them I'm like this...)
No more beans!

Offline opinionista

« Reply #85 on: June 04, 2006, 11:16:06 am »
I have managed to still have a life outside the realms of the Internet quite successfully I think. Maybe it's because most of the time I'm working on my dissertation in my computer, so it's not a real effort to be online and read the posting from time to time, as well as, snoop around and visit other sites.  I still cook (I love cooking, that's one thing I have in common with Jake), I still go out with my friends, I still go to the movies,I read books before going to bed (although lately I've been reading Leslie's stories and others from fanfiction) but I watch less TV than I did before seeing Brokeback Mountain, to tell you the truth, but that it's good. Too much BS on TV anyway.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #86 on: June 04, 2006, 07:04:26 pm »
I have managed to still have a life outside the realms of the Internet quite successfully I think. Maybe it's because most of the time I'm working on my dissertation in my computer, so it's not a real effort to be online and read the posting from time to time, as well as, snoop around and visit other sites.  I still cook (I love cooking, that's one thing I have in common with Jake), I still go out with my friends, I still go to the movies,I read books before going to bed (although lately I've been reading Leslie's stories and others from fanfiction) but I watch less TV than I did before seeing Brokeback Mountain, to tell you the truth, but that it's good. Too much BS on TV anyway.

Sounds like you have found a really good balance, Natali. I am at the computer all day supposedly working, too, but that is only more temptation to hang out here instead.

I think a big factor for me is that I recently moved from one city to another, and I work out of my home, so now outside of my family members -- who often drive me crazy -- I have no good friends close by (a couple of very casual friends/acquaintances). So now you guys are the friends I see most often!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #87 on: June 04, 2006, 07:29:02 pm »

It's disheartening that the headlines are coming closer and closer to BBM territory with all of this talk lately about an amendment to the constitution to ban same-sex marriages.
 >:( :(

Anyway.... back on topic... I can't believe how much time I spend having to read to catch up with all the amazing posts here at BetterMost these days-- in all kinds of threads.  I was away for two days and now I come back to hours worth of reading.  Very cool.
 8)
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline opinionista

« Reply #88 on: June 04, 2006, 07:50:43 pm »
Sounds like you have found a really good balance, Natali. I am at the computer all day supposedly working, too, but that is only more temptation to hang out here instead.

I think a big factor for me is that I recently moved from one city to another, and I work out of my home, so now outside of my family members -- who often drive me crazy -- I have no good friends close by (a couple of very casual friends/acquaintances). So now you guys are the friends I see most often!

I know that feeling Katherine! The solitude you feel when you move to someplace new. But it'll pass as time go by and as you get to know more people and all.

It's disheartening that the headlines are coming closer and closer to BBM territory with all of this talk lately about an amendment to the constitution to ban same-sex marriages.

Amanda (right?) where are you at? In Spain same sex married is allowed (I'm sure you all know that) which is unbelievable in a country so profoundly catholic as this one. Gays and lesbians can even adopt kids. That's how it should be everywhere else, shouldn't it? 
« Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 07:55:24 pm by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #89 on: June 04, 2006, 08:11:48 pm »
I know that feeling Katherine! The solitude you feel when you move to someplace new. But it'll pass as time go by and as you get to know more people and all.

Amanda (right?) where are you at? In Spain same sex married is allowed (I'm sure you all know that) which is unbelievable in a country so profoundly catholic as this one. Gays and lesbians can even adopt kids. That's how it should be everywhere else, shouldn't it? 

Heya opinionista,
Thanks for the post!  Yup, I'm Amanda.  I'm in the U.S. (Pennsylvania).  There was just a thing on the national news (NBC) about Bush's new big push for an amendment to ban gay marriage.  The analysis on the news tended to say that Bush is trying to use the issue to bolster his really poor approval ratings right now... and to appeal to his deeply conservative base.  It's extremely upsetting to me (it's upsetting on a general level, but on a personal level too.  I'm a lesbian myself, so these issues tend to become really emotional).
 >:( :(

The news about stuff like this juxtaposed simultaneously with all the awards and respect and acclaim for BBM is just so wierd.  I mean here I am celebrating the big win for Heath and Jake on the MTV awards for their hot and romantic gay kiss... and then this depressing political news comes up on TV.  This country truly has a split personality right now.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie