Author Topic: HOARDING.....what kind of things do we keep  (Read 21429 times)

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
HOARDING.....what kind of things do we keep
« on: July 16, 2008, 08:10:44 pm »
I am not sure if this subject has been discussed on here before, but recently I have watched a couple of TV shows showing the extent to how people hoard things.  Some people definately have a phsycological problem with hoarding, and are so extreme that they cant even live in their homes, because it is over run with stuff they have collected. Others just keep things because of sentimental value, just like Jack did, with Ennis's shirt.

I think it would be interesting to find out here, just what people keep, what they would never throw out, and why they do.

Also, if anyone has ever discovered something that someone else has kept, and realize the signficance of why it was kept, again, like how Ennis felt when he found Jack's shirt.

I look forward to hearing your stories.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

injest

Re: HOARDING.....what kind of things do we keep
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 08:17:55 pm »
well.... My husband hoards string.

when we clean out the tool rooms and tack rooms I throw them away and he goes thru the trash sacks and gets them all back out. I mean, seriously, what can you do with an eight inch length of frayed thread??

Offline Katie77

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 08:19:13 pm »
I guess I should be the first to admit it..............

MY NAME IS SUE..........AND  I AM A HOARDER.......

Not in the extreme sense but I do have a box of things that have gone into every house removal that I have made over the years.

In that box, are photos, and cards........Cards I received when Bob and I got engaged (1968), wedding cards (1969), Baby cards (1971 and 1974), mothers day cards, anniversary cards, birthday cards, cards my hubby and I exchanged when he was away in the navy before we married.

I might not open that box for 12 months, but every time I do I take a trip down memory lane.

I often wonder what my kids will do with that box, when they find it after Im gone.

Offline Katie77

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 08:21:44 pm »
well.... My husband hoards string.

when we clean out the tool rooms and tack rooms I throw them away and he goes thru the trash sacks and gets them all back out. I mean, seriously, what can you do with an eight inch length of frayed thread??

Thats funny Jess....yeah, I think men are probably worse than us women.  God knows what they have hidden away in their sheds and tool rooms. Oh and men who live on the land, are worse than anyone.

Now I bet your hubby could give you at least ten good uses for that 8" of frayed thread.

injest

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 08:23:24 pm »
Thats funny Jess....yeah, I think men are probably worse than us women.  God knows what they have hidden away in their sheds and tool rooms. Oh and men who live on the land, are worse than anyone.

Now I bet your hubby could give you at least ten good uses for that 8" of frayed thread.

I think HIS idea of a 'good use' would not be the same as mine!

Offline Katie77

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 08:28:34 pm »
Hahahaaa.....I can see this is going to bring out some really funny stories......

Have you seen the shows on TV, Jess, about compulsive hoarders......i saw one the other day, where there was so much rubbish in the house that the husband had collected, that he and his wife bought a trailer to park beside the house to live in........NOW........the trailer is getting full of stuff and they are running out of room in that.

Talk about an understanding wife........she deserves a medal. (which no doubt her hubby has plenty of somewhere in his collection)

Oh, and just on a serious note, I am not laughing at the particular mental illness associated with these extreme cases, it is no laughing matter, and the "illness" is just as devastating as any other illness....but it is quite an eye opener and amazing just how it affects someone and to what extremes they get to.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 08:30:25 pm »
coupons, old radios, flower pots

injest

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 08:36:51 pm »
Hahahaaa.....I can see this is going to bring out some really funny stories......

Have you seen the shows on TV, Jess, about compulsive hoarders......i saw one the other day, where there was so much rubbish in the house that the husband had collected, that he and his wife bought a trailer to park beside the house to live in........NOW........the trailer is getting full of stuff and they are running out of room in that.

Talk about an understanding wife........she deserves a medal. (which no doubt her hubby has plenty of somewhere in his collection)

Oh, and just on a serious note, I am not laughing at the particular mental illness associated with these extreme cases, it is no laughing matter, and the "illness" is just as devastating as any other illness....but it is quite an eye opener and amazing just how it affects someone and to what extremes they get to.

no, mental illness is nothing to laugh at but people's little idiosyncries are! My husband is not mentally ill....just string addicted!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Katie77

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 08:53:42 pm »
We may laugh, I guess at these hubbys who save string, but I wonder what those hubbys would think if they saw all the stuff us girls have stashed away, just about things to do with our beloved Brokeback Mountain......(now tell the truth, we all have them) ::) ::)

I have fan fic stories I have printed out and bound with covers, an enormous collection of printed fan art, curtesy of Lucise's thread, not to mention the postcards that Brokies have sent me and little trinkets like cowboy hats on chains and little tents hanging on string. Not to mention 3 copies of the short story, and 2 copies of the dvd.

Now those things I will never throw out.....

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 08:56:42 pm »
My hoarding is so sad. I keep all the slippers you get at hotels.I never wear them and must have about 50 plus pairs.They fill a whole drawer in a big chest.

I also keep those paper umbrellas you get in cocktail drinks.
I have several hundred plus free match packets from round the world.
The rest I think is common, first lock of hair, first tooth,ultrasound scan photos,from when I was pregnant,I have even kept the one from the baby I miscarried.
First everything from the kids.
One of the saddest things when we moved here, was the only carton that went missing from shipping was all the kids homemade Xmas tree decorations.I cried for ages our 1st xmas here when I realised they had gone.

injest

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 09:06:15 pm »
We may laugh, I guess at these hubbys who save string, but I wonder what those hubbys would think if they saw all the stuff us girls have stashed away, just about things to do with our beloved Brokeback Mountain......(now tell the truth, we all have them) ::) ::)

I have fan fic stories I have printed out and bound with covers, an enormous collection of printed fan art, curtesy of Lucise's thread, not to mention the postcards that Brokies have sent me and little trinkets like cowboy hats on chains and little tents hanging on string. Not to mention 3 copies of the short story, and 2 copies of the dvd.

Now those things I will never throw out.....

I dont' hoard anything! I only keep very important things.

;D ;D ;)

injest

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 07:51:50 am »
I dont' know if this is hoarding exactly but I know a woman that has a thing about paper towels, if they go on sale she buys by the cart load. I have no idea where she stores them all!

it is hilarious because if you are with her for any length of time the subject will come up, she just has to tell you where they are on sale and for how much and how many she got...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 08:38:28 am »
Rubber bands and cardboard boxes.  ::)

You never know when you're going to need a rubber band or a good, strong cardboard box. ...  8)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

injest

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 08:57:25 am »
Rubber bands and cardboard boxes.  ::)

You never know when you're going to need a rubber band or a good, strong cardboard box. ...  8)

I was JUST thinking I needed a rubber band and a box!

:laugh: ;)

I cant' have rubber bands around the house, the cats go insane over them....they want to eat them but are scared they are gonna get snapped so they will slap at them, flinch and blink their eyes real hard until they have it "killed" then eat it...

Offline Artiste

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008, 08:57:51 am »
Rubbers, may I dare mention that ? !!

Offline Katie77

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2008, 03:06:08 am »
Rubbers, may I dare mention that ? !!

What kind of rubbers?

I know that is the term you use for condoms, but here in Australia, we call an eraser a "rubber"....so when we send our kids off to school we send them with pencils, pencil sharpener and rubbers.

And there are all different shapes, sizes and colours of rubbers so a lot of kids collect them too.

injest

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2008, 07:08:29 am »
What kind of rubbers?

I know that is the term you use for condoms, but here in Australia, we call an eraser a "rubber"....so when we send our kids off to school we send them with pencils, pencil sharpener and rubbers.

And there are all different shapes, sizes and colours of rubbers so a lot of kids collect them too.

we have rubber boots we wear when it is wet and muddy out. we call them rubbers...

Offline Katie77

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2008, 08:00:21 am »
we have rubber boots we wear when it is wet and muddy out. we call them rubbers...

We call them "gum boots"........dont ask me why...dont know where the gum part came from....

injest

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2008, 08:07:58 am »
We call them "gum boots"........dont ask me why...dont know where the gum part came from....

well we all know you Aussies are rebellous bunch that just do things your way anyhoo!  ;) ;)

MY favorite thing that we have different names for is a 'crush'....we call them 'stocks' over here, so the first time I heard someone say they were gonna build a crush for their horses, I was appalled...Why would you crush your horses!!??

(for those that dont' know what either of those are: They are a metal cage resembling the gates race horses get into to start a race except they have metal panels around the bottom you can open to get to different parts of the horse. You use them when you need to restrain the horse for medical procedures usually)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2008, 09:32:14 am »

Here in Pennsylvania we call rubber boots ... boots.

The low-cut things that just cover up a pair of low shoes we call rubbers.

Folks from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, call rubber bands gum bands.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Katie77

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2008, 09:56:38 am »
Well looks like "rubber" and "gum" have the same meanings all over the place.

Now I came in to tell you about the hoarding habits of my mum.

When she buys a new appliance, such as an iron, toaster, electric frypan, she finds it difficult to throw the old one away. So, what she does is take the new one out of the box, and uses it, and puts the old one IN that same box, and then stores it away in the garage or in a cupboard.

injest

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2008, 10:04:05 am »
Well looks like "rubber" and "gum" have the same meanings all over the place.

Now I came in to tell you about the hoarding habits of my mum.

When she buys a new appliance, such as an iron, toaster, electric frypan, she finds it difficult to throw the old one away. So, what she does is take the new one out of the box, and uses it, and puts the old one IN that same box, and then stores it away in the garage or in a cupboard.

LOL!!

that reminds me of one of MY hoarding things....I can't bring myself to throw away the user manuals on anything I buy. I have the owners manual from every car I ever had, I have user manuals for VCRs I dont' own anymore, stereos, cameras....

what am I saving them for??!!

why do I need the 'seasoning' instructions for four iron skillets? You season every one the same so you would think ONE would suffice...

Offline Artiste

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2008, 11:18:16 am »
Injest you say:
       I have the owners manual from every car I ever had, I have user manuals for VCRs I dont' own anymore, stereos, cameras....

Sell them at auctions or one auction that will accept them ? Or on the internet ?

Some car manuals are needed, especially for old cars !

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Katie77

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2008, 11:29:04 am »
There you go Jess, you might have something useful in those old car manuals after all.

Another thing I've noticed that I have quite a collection of now, and that is computer discs.

I have them from my first computer, printer, mouse, keyboards, scanners, and any subsequent updates I have owned. They just seem too important to throw out.

injest

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2008, 12:00:08 pm »
There you go Jess, you might have something useful in those old car manuals after all.

Another thing I've noticed that I have quite a collection of now, and that is computer discs.

I have them from my first computer, printer, mouse, keyboards, scanners, and any subsequent updates I have owned. They just seem too important to throw out.

LOL!! magazines I am gonna read someday...I swear!

injest

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2008, 10:14:53 pm »
all this talk of hoarding got me motivated and I went thru my files and threw away a whole garbage bag full of papers (and that was just the FIRST cut!!) I need to got thru it all better but I wanted to cull things I KNEW I didn't need anymore.  :P

I didn't throw away a paper I found where D had wrote "I luv yu vere lot" when he was a kindergartener though...I saved that!

*Jess's heart melting*

injest

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2008, 10:15:44 pm »
Injest you say:
       I have the owners manual from every car I ever had, I have user manuals for VCRs I dont' own anymore, stereos, cameras....

Sell them at auctions or one auction that will accept them ? Or on the internet ?

Some car manuals are needed, especially for old cars !

Au revoir,
hugs!

hmmmm....might be an idea!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2008, 10:51:29 pm »
all this talk of hoarding got me motivated and I went thru my files and threw away a whole garbage bag full of papers (and that was just the FIRST cut!!) I need to got thru it all better but I wanted to cull things I KNEW I didn't need anymore.  :P

I didn't throw away a paper I found where D had wrote "I luv yu vere lot" when he was a kindergartener though...I saved that!

*Jess's heart melting*

Aww! That's so cute. I don't blame you at all for saving that. You can't throw things like that away. :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

injest

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2008, 11:43:56 pm »
I have one of his masterpieces from when he first started drawing...He was VERY controlled no wild scribbling for him..he would get a sheet of paper, pick out a crayon and intently lean over the table, make a TINY little mark in the middle of the paper (sometimes a circle if he was feeling really uninhibited) and call it finished!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2008, 12:07:48 am »
I have one of his masterpieces from when he first started drawing...He was VERY controlled no wild scribbling for him..he would get a sheet of paper, pick out a crayon and intently lean over the table, make a TINY little mark in the middle of the paper (sometimes a circle if he was feeling really uninhibited) and call it finished!

Little kids are so cute! :D

Offline Katie77

« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2008, 12:08:45 am »

And that precisely Jess, is why we hoard things. Because when we look at those drawings our kids did way back then, we have them back, just for a moment, as they were then.

injest

« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2008, 12:20:23 am »
And that precisely Jess, is why we hoard things. Because when we look at those drawings our kids did way back then, we have them back, just for a moment, as they were then.

just for a minute, I can still feel his little head and his soft hair that smelled distinctly like MY baby against my cheek.

Offline Katie77

« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2008, 12:37:33 am »
just for a minute, I can still feel his little head and his soft hair that smelled distinctly like MY baby against my cheek.

Only a mother knows Jess......... ;)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2008, 10:15:33 am »

By nature, I'm not a hoarder. I hate clutter. It makes for very adverse feng shui. I like things to be neat and in their place. I'm not a minimalist, however. I like a room to be decorated, not barren. I like my cupboards to be neat and ordered, but I find that's sometimes very difficult to maintain. Out of sight, out of mind!  ;)   ;D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

injest

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2008, 06:18:03 pm »
By nature, I'm not a hoarder. I hate clutter. It makes for very adverse feng shui. I like things to be neat and in their place. I'm not a minimalist, however. I like a room to be decorated, not barren. I like my cupboards to be neat and ordered, but I find that's sometimes very difficult to maintain. Out of sight, out of mind!  ;)   ;D

maybe that is what is wrong with THIS place!  >:( >:(

too much clutter!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2008, 12:40:29 am »
I hoard Cody's toys. I can't get rid of them. I buy him new toys and keep all the old ones he no longer plays with. He has his own toy box, with the new toys on the top and the old ones down at the bottom.

That dog. He has about 100 toys and he only plays with a dozen of them. And my cat packs an old dish rag around with him. He has toys too but he prefers that nasty old dish rag. I don't understand it. ::)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2008, 12:43:21 am »
I also hoard old VCR tapes. I have hundreds of them. Boxes of them. Many of them are tapes of movies from HBO and Showtime I taped way back in the 1980's. Some of them are from local channels I taped and they still have the old commercials on them.

"You deserve a break today. So get up and get away.... to McDonalds!"

Remember that one?

injest

« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2008, 01:19:03 am »
I also hoard old VCR tapes. I have hundreds of them. Boxes of them. Many of them are tapes of movies from HBO and Showtime I taped way back in the 1980's. Some of them are from local channels I taped and they still have the old commercials on them.

"You deserve a break today. So get up and get away.... to McDonalds!"

Remember that one?

yep!! sometimes the commercial are the coolest thing ON those tapes!

I kinda feel sorry for people today that skip the commercials...some of them were/are pretty neat!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2008, 01:29:28 am »
yep!! sometimes the commercial are the coolest thing ON those tapes!

I kinda feel sorry for people today that skip the commercials...some of them were/are pretty neat!

Remember the cougar that climbed all over the top of the Mercury Cougar? I have that one on tape too! The cougar growls real loud at the end of the commercial! lol

It's fun sometimes to watch all those old commercials again. Brings back memories. :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2008, 01:30:38 am »
Oh, and remember the gorrilla that jumps on top of the Samsonite luggage? I have that commercial on tape too!

injest

« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2008, 01:31:51 am »
Oh, and remember the gorrilla that jumps on top of the Samsonite luggage? I have that commercial on tape too!

:laugh: :laugh:

oh yeah!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2008, 01:32:28 am »
What the HELL this conversation has to do with hoarding, I'll never know! ::)

Sorry about that everyone! It's just another example of one of those threads gone OT. :(

injest

« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2008, 02:04:01 am »
What the HELL this conversation has to do with hoarding, I'll never know! ::)

Sorry about that everyone! It's just another example of one of those threads gone OT. :(

we are talking about hoarding ol commercials!!

;D ;D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2008, 02:10:11 am »
we are talking about hoarding ol commercials!!

;D ;D

Haha! Yup! :D

That's what we're doing! Remember Clara from the Wendy's commercials?

"WHERE'S THE BEEF? WHEEEEEERE'S THE BEEF? I don't think there's anyone back there."

I have that one on tape too Jess! :laugh:

injest

« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2008, 02:24:54 am »
Haha! Yup! :D

That's what we're doing! Remember Clara from the Wendy's commercials?

"WHERE'S THE BEEF? WHEEEEEERE'S THE BEEF? I don't think there's anyone back there."

I have that one on tape too Jess! :laugh:

that was a good one....and I always liked the Dr Pepper guy "I'm a pepper, she's a pepper, wouldn't you like to be a pepper too??"

:laugh: :laugh:

injest

« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2008, 12:50:32 am »
I hoard pms and emails from my friends.  ;D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2008, 12:55:52 am »
I hoard pms and emails from my friends.  ;D

So do I! Just after I read this post from you I looked up at the top and I have 1419 messages in there! Phillip isn't probably too happy about that! >:(

Oh I just thought of another commercial I have on tape Jess. It's a Coke commercial from the early 1980's. It's the Christmas commercial where everyone is standing with a candle, and they form a Christmas tree and they are singing "I'd Like to Teach The Wolrd to Sing". I LOVE that commercial! :)

injest

« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2008, 01:22:16 am »
So do I! Just after I read this post from you I looked up at the top and I have 1419 messages in there! Phillip isn't probably too happy about that! >:(

Oh I just thought of another commercial I have on tape Jess. It's a Coke commercial from the early 1980's. It's the Christmas commercial where everyone is standing with a candle, and they form a Christmas tree and they are singing "I'd Like to Teach The Wolrd to Sing". I LOVE that commercial! :)

Coke always had them tearjerker commercials! I LOVED them!

Offline Katie77

« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2008, 04:23:31 am »

Gee......Ive got 208 messages there, and Ive been waiting for the "clear them or u lose your membership letter".......

You two have been having a wonderful time reminiscing about those old commercials.....Ive had a good giggle reading your posts here.

injest

« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2008, 06:31:10 am »
Gee......Ive got 208 messages there, and Ive been waiting for the "clear them or u lose your membership letter".......

You two have been having a wonderful time reminiscing about those old commercials.....Ive had a good giggle reading your posts here.

I ain't gonna tell you how many I got but I think I am taking up half the storage space of the whole durn forum....

Offline ZK

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2008, 08:32:17 am »
Okay I know I am off track but speaking of old commercials..well kind of. My second favourite restaurant is called the Fish n Chip Shop, its like a step back to the 70's, its got formica tables (trust ya know what I mean), patterned orange wall paper, ducks on the wall (please tell me you've seen Hilda Ogden's house from Coronation Street), all the decor from 60's and 70's basically. But what really adds to the "ambience" is the huge old brown box type tv's running black and white commercials from the 60's and 70's. Oh the memories... ;D

injest

« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2008, 08:48:26 am »
Okay I know I am off track but speaking of old commercials..well kind of. My second favourite restaurant is called the Fish n Chip Shop, its like a step back to the 70's, its got formica tables (trust ya know what I mean), patterned orange wall paper, ducks on the wall (please tell me you've seen Hilda Ogden's house from Coronation Street), all the decor from 60's and 70's basically. But what really adds to the "ambience" is the huge old brown box type tv's running black and white commercials from the 60's and 70's. Oh the memories... ;D

oh man! that sounds like a cool place! the TV would be worth a trip!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2008, 10:23:00 am »
At times, I have rare books !

Do you too ?

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2008, 02:12:39 pm »
My fam has never hoarded much of anything.  We do keep family heirlooms, genealogy charts, and such, but not just "stuff."
Okay, I realize that for me, what is stuff might be treasure to another.    A friend of mine is a compulsive hoarder, much like the ones you've seen on Oprah or Dr. Phil.  She has been doing it for years and it's gotten so bad I won't even go into her house anymore.  Stuff she can't get rid of:  newspapers, empty bottles, bags, plastic containers, rubber bands, twist ties, corks, plastic utensils, magazines, hotel toiletries, and more. 

She knows she has a problem and says she will get help, but there's the rub:  she hoards her money too.  She makes quite a good salary and has no dependents, but you'd think she was a pauper.  She won't spend for a therapist, or for 1 800 Got Junk to pick up stuff, or even to fix anything in the house until the situation is desperate. 
It's a sad thing.
"This is the most uncomfortable coffin I've ever been in!"

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2008, 02:21:50 pm »
I have a piece of used wrapping paper that my Granny saved to re use in the 1950s, I also have her kitchen sink.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Artiste

« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2008, 02:50:41 pm »
That sounds wonderful shakestheground ! I admire you for that !

Offline Artiste

« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2008, 02:51:25 pm »
My father has past away, so I keep his hammer !

Offline Artiste

« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2008, 08:08:32 pm »
And what about elastic bands, did someone mentioned them ?

But when it comes to using them, they break easily being now old!

Ha! Ha!  Any tricks to conserve them better maybe ?

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2008, 06:52:06 pm »
Now, mainly books.
And emails (I need to clean out some of my email inboxes).

I find that as I get older, I care less for clutter.. so I have forced myself to get rid of a whole lot of stuff.
That said, there are items in my basement right now that I could do without.  :)

Offline Katie77

« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2008, 07:02:36 pm »
Now, mainly books.
And emails (I need to clean out some of my email inboxes).

I find that as I get older, I care less for clutter.. so I have forced myself to get rid of a whole lot of stuff.
That said, there are items in my basement right now that I could do without.  :)

Oh yes.....my email......I dont think to clean out the inbox until I get a message from my server that my mailbox is nearly full....and then, all I do, is delete them, and they end up in my "deleted email box"....I always think, I might need that email for something....what?...I dont know....Maybe thats why my computer runs so slow, all the stuff I have collected and dont want to throw out........I have created my own cyber box of, "cant throw that out" stuff.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2008, 07:35:48 pm »

Oh yes.....my email......I dont think to clean out the inbox until I get a message from my server that my mailbox is nearly full....and then, all I do, is delete them, and they end up in my "deleted email box"....I always think, I might need that email for something....what?...I dont know....Maybe thats why my computer runs so slow, all the stuff I have collected and dont want to throw out........I have created my own cyber box of, "cant throw that out" stuff.

The thing with email accounts, I find,  is that you get so much storage these days.

Because I am in no danger of running out of space, I never get around to cleaning out old messages...
that and the thought that I may need to go back to an old email for one reason or other (even though that happens very infrequently)..  :)

Offline Katie77

« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2008, 07:44:03 pm »

The thing with email accounts, I find,  is that you get so much storage these days.

Because I am in no danger of running out of space, I never get around to cleaning out old messages...
that and the thought that I may need to go back to an old email for one reason or other (even though that happens very infrequently)..  :)

THAT is EXACTLY what I mean.......sure as eggs, as soon as I delete it, I will need it....... ::)

injest

« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2008, 07:56:38 pm »
THAT is EXACTLY what I mean.......sure as eggs, as soon as I delete it, I will need it....... ::)

well lets say I DO need one of the 20,000 emails I have saved...

how the heck would I find it?

Offline Artiste

« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2008, 08:08:47 pm »
Anyone has a clothes pin collection ?

Offline Katie77

« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2008, 08:18:30 pm »

That Jess, is a hoarders nightmare........knowing you have something saved and tucked away safely, and you cant find the bloody place you put it.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 16, 2008, 08:36:33 pm »

Do what I did, Sue, and open yourself a Yahoo account. It's free and has unlimited  storage. I have thousands of emails in my Yahoo account.  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 16, 2008, 08:46:24 pm »

The solution to your dilemma, Jess, is to open sub-directories in your email account. As well as having the standard settings such as Inbox, Drafts, Sent, Spam and Trash, my Yahoo email account has an addition setting called My Folders. I have a series of sub-folders in My Folders and shift emails that I want to keep into them, once I've opened them. Anything else is trashed.  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Katie77

« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2008, 08:49:49 pm »
Do what I did, Sue, and open yourself a Yahoo account. It's free and has unlimited  storage. I have thousands of emails in my Yahoo account.  :D

Done that....have my bigpond main account, plus an account with Yahoo, AOL and hotmail...... all with hundreds of emails I might need one day... ::)