Author Topic: If Heath get a posthumous Oscar, would that redeem the Academy?  (Read 17014 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: If Heath get a posthumous Oscar, would that redeem the Academy?
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2008, 10:02:22 pm »
And this time, I actually paid close attention to the Joker's perspective. He actually did prove a point.

Indeed.  The point being that we have no control over the evil that goes on in the world, and to think that we do is utterly foolish.

I just re-watched 'Batman Begins' a few days ago.  It's interesting to watch that one again with that added perspective.  There is a scene at the end in which Rachel Dawes touches Bruce's face, right after he refers to someday hoping to be able to remove the mask forever, and says "No.  This is your mask."  That *really* resonated with me.  Much moreso than it had before.  It also speaks to my view that Bruce Wayne is made of stone - he only comes to life when he wears the suit.  On yet another level, I see actors - the greatest of actors - as only coming to life when they play a role.  It's just being themselves that's hard.
No more beans!

Offline Gabreya

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2008, 11:49:31 pm »
You said it, ednbarby.

Offline rlh03

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2008, 01:45:29 pm »
Absolutely not!  The Academy cannot go back and redo what they didn't do for Heath's role in Brokeback Mountain.  They can only recognize his role in the current award year as the Joker in TDK.  And that is only if they break their own rule regarding posthumous awards.  They could possibly give him a special Oscar, or a lifetime achievement award.  But making up for the way they treated Heath Ledger, Jake Gyllenhaal and BBM, never, never, never can they do that.

Offline Gabreya

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2008, 05:29:02 pm »
Absolutely not!  The Academy cannot go back and redo what they didn't do for Heath's role in Brokeback Mountain.  They can only recognize his role in the current award year as the Joker in TDK.  And that is only if they break their own rule regarding posthumous awards.  They could possibly give him a special Oscar, or a lifetime achievement award.  But making up for the way they treated Heath Ledger, Jake Gyllenhaal and BBM, never, never, never can they do that.

You took the words out of my mouth. They should've gave Heath, Jake, Michelle, AND this movie the award when they had the chance! Not give it to some dramatic movie that nobody really likes because it give everyone a bad name! You know, I heard that it was supposed to boost the Oscar ratings when they made the surprising upset. HUGE mistake!
But, ever since then, the Oscars have been having a lower percentage of viewers. Tsk tsk. The Oscars are so homophobic, racist, picky, and too full of themselves. It's a shame, too. It seems like today, other award shows are being more recognizable and more dependable. Oscars, it's gonna be history within a few years.

Offline rlh03

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2008, 07:52:48 pm »
Does anyone know if a video exists, and accessible online, of Dustin Hoffman speaking at that Academy Awards program.  I'd give my eye-teeth (if I still had them) to see it.  Anyone?

Offline KristinDaBomb

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
    • My Blog
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2008, 05:25:37 am »
No, it can't be redeemed. He should have won the first time. Phillip S. Hoffman is a great actor, and did a good job in Capote. But it wasn't amazing like Ledger. It is much more harder to create a character, then to imitate someone like PSH did.

I never watch the Oscars, so I probably won't. If Heath is nominated, I will watch that part on Youtube or something. If he doesn't win though, I won't be surprised. He definitely deserves it, but the academy awards are such a joke.
xoxo

~Kristin~

<3

Offline BlissC

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • There ain't never enough time...
    • NeonBlue Dreams
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2008, 10:10:10 am »
To be honest (and this might not be popular), but having seen TDK on Saturday in Brussels, I have to say that though I thought Heath was good in TDK, overall the film wasn't spectacular, and though I think Heath probably played the best part in the film (and there were some nice little touches from Heath and a couple of almost Ennis-esque facial expressions, and I think on some level he had some fun playing that part), I don't think it was a particularly Oscar-worthy performance. Interesting certainly, and thought-provoking in parts, but not on the same level as Ennis.

I think Heath's role raised to the film from mere "popcorn" to "popcorn with some style", and certainly none of the other characters stood out, but I don't think that the part he played was spectacular, and certainly not on a par with his performance as Ennis.

Heath, Jake, Michelle, and BBM should have got the award when they had the opportunity, but Oscars for TDK? If they award Oscars for TDK it will prove (which we know anyway) that the whole thing's driven by money and the whole Hollywood commodification and commercialization, and it really would be a travesty to reward commercial success over talent and truly inspiring performances.

"No matter how hard you try, You're still in prison, If ya born with wings and you never fly."

Offline Gabreya

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2008, 05:44:33 pm »
To be honest (and this might not be popular), but having seen TDK on Saturday in Brussels, I have to say that though I thought Heath was good in TDK, overall the film wasn't spectacular, and though I think Heath probably played the best part in the film (and there were some nice little touches from Heath and a couple of almost Ennis-esque facial expressions, and I think on some level he had some fun playing that part), I don't think it was a particularly Oscar-worthy performance. Interesting certainly, and thought-provoking in parts, but not on the same level as Ennis.

I think Heath's role raised to the film from mere "popcorn" to "popcorn with some style", and certainly none of the other characters stood out, but I don't think that the part he played was spectacular, and certainly not on a par with his performance as Ennis.

Heath, Jake, Michelle, and BBM should have got the award when they had the opportunity, but Oscars for TDK? If they award Oscars for TDK it will prove (which we know anyway) that the whole thing's driven by money and the whole Hollywood commodification and commercialization, and it really would be a travesty to reward commercial success over talent and truly inspiring performances.

You're right. I thought that he was the BEST part out of the WHOLE FILM. Don't get me wrong. I'm a Batman fan but it's just TDK is too complex and too DARK that I feel like I'm watching 'a horror movie disguised as a superhero movie'! I don't know why people think it's the GREATEST MOVIE EVER MADE! They're crazy as heck! This movie had so many flaws and mistakes, even though it's a great movie.

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2008, 06:17:18 pm »

I completely agree with this!

Offline Wayne

« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2008, 06:20:33 pm »
Nope. The Academy still requires gay men to pretend they are straight.

It is one of the most homophobic institutions in America.

There is nothing in the Academy worth redeeming.
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don