Author Topic: Top 25 Things Disappearing From America  (Read 11263 times)

Offline McNell

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Top 25 Things Disappearing From America
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2008, 07:24:35 pm »
Ponderosa restaurants....when I was a kid that was the place to go...don't see them anymore...;D

JudgeHolden

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2008, 08:09:29 pm »
Horny toads. They were everywhere when I was a kid, we called 'em dragon babies.They secreted some substance from their eyes that looked like blood, which freaked girls out, so right there was guaranteed entertainment value, put one in your sisters jewelery box and wait for the scream.

I dont know when I last saw one. Its not down to global warming or development, as they like hot weather and theres still plenty of empty remote areas of the SW. Whatever happened to those horny toads.

Also old-fashioned storm cellars, just a dugout in the bottom of the yard with two doors and a ladder or steps. They were dark, scary holes (and usually home to centipededs, scorpions and horny toads) so I guess thats why they fell out of fashion, but in tornado country, where else do you go, If you go in the basement, your liable to have the house fall in on you if you get hit, yet about the only place I see those storm cellars is on older properties. I recall when we lived in base housing, each neighborhood had a concrete bunker to go to and ours had battery powered lights in it and no bugs.

injest

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2008, 08:14:36 pm »
Horny toads. They were everywhere when I was a kid, we called 'em dragon babies.They secreted some substance from their eyes that looked like blood, which freaked girls out, so right there was guaranteed entertainment value, put one in your sisters jewelery box and wait for the scream.

I dont know when I last saw one. Its not down to global warming or development, as they like hot weather and theres still plenty of empty remote areas of the SW. Whatever happened to those horny toads.

Also old-fashioned storm cellars, just a dugout in the bottom of the yard with two doors and a ladder or steps. They were dark, scary holes (and usually home to centipededs, scorpions and horny toads) so I guess thats why they fell out of fashion, but in tornado country, where else do you go, If you go in the basement, your liable to have the house fall in on you if you get hit, yet about the only place I see those storm cellars is on older properties. I recall when we lived in base housing, each neighborhood had a concrete bunker to go to and ours had battery powered lights in it and no bugs.

what IS it with men and liking to hear girls squeal? it is my husbands favorite sound, apparently.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2008, 08:17:37 pm »

Old fashiioned highway signs....BURMA SHAVE............

Beautiful mind

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2008, 11:40:03 pm »
You would think that drive in movie theatres would make a come back with so many other retro type things around. I don't know if there are any left around here. There was one still open in Waynesville, but I doubt it is still there. When I was growing up there were at least 4 in Asheville. They are all gone now. The last one was a flea market for a long time and the screen remained but they quit showing movies years ago. About 5 years ago the stie became a giant Lowe's store. I remember going with my parents when I was little to them and it seems I remember we would take food with us to eat. They also had a concession stand and I do remember one having a playground in front of the screen. It was fun. I remember when I was in high school they were still around, but they were going downhill by then. I remember one opened and showed x rated movies. That one is now a gated community. Another thing I remember from growing up is going to drive in restaurants with my parents. All the high school teenagers and even adults would drive around and around cruising, but I remember the cheeseburgers being so good. Buck's was the most poplular one. By the time I was in high school the drive in restaurants were pretty much gone too. Now we have Sonic, but it is not the same. It always made me mad that I seemed to always be too young for a lot of those things and now I wish I had of even been younger  :laugh:

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2008, 12:08:39 am »
Any pics of such drive-ins cinemas from many of you ?

Offline Artiste

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2008, 05:31:54 pm »
Was the American auto-industry mentioned?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2008, 04:25:45 pm »
Real Milk
Real Cream
Sexy Movies
Happy Endings
Kisses
Phones with no answering machine
Dads
Moms
Aprons
Philips Head Screwdrivers
Sitcoms with a plot
Natural hot springs
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2008, 05:05:37 pm »
Real Milk
Real Cream
Sexy Movies
Happy Endings
Kisses
Phones with no answering machine
Dads
Moms
Aprons
Philips Head Screwdrivers
Sitcoms with a plot
Natural hot springs

I will not miss phillips head screws!
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2008, 05:52:39 pm »

What the--?

Not as important as honey bees and newspapers, but I'm really stunned to hear about this--
http://www.walletpop.com/specials/departures-2008

DHL in the U.S.
DHL, the German global shipping giant, will stop shipping within the United States on the ground and in the air, effective Jan. 30, 2009. All of DHL's 18 U.S. hubs will close.

Wow.
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"