Author Topic: Are You Planning to Watch the Olympics?  (Read 77712 times)

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Are You Planning to Watch the Olympics?
« Reply #200 on: August 25, 2008, 03:52:17 pm »
Can someone tell me why the best athlete in the Olympics who is American,Mr. Phelps esq. was in London for the closing ceremony ???

But for a Led Zep fan, Jimmy Page playing whole lotta love was just the business for me.

I wouldn't say BEST ATHLETE, all he did was swim!  ;D  He is an amazing swimmer, there's no doubt about that but I'm still not convinced that he should have won that seventh medal.  In the overhead slomo replay, the guy to his left seemed to be touching the wall way before Phelps had his arm extended, even the announcer (CBC) said that the other guy should have gotten it.  Was there ever an explanation for this?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #201 on: August 25, 2008, 03:54:27 pm »
Can someone tell me why the best athlete in the Olympics who is American,Mr. Phelps esq. was in London for the closing ceremony ???

But for a Led Zep fan, Jimmy Page playing whole lotta love was just the business for me.

I found that a bit weird too Fiona. He didn't waste any time getting over there, did he?

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #202 on: August 25, 2008, 04:09:28 pm »
I wouldn't say BEST ATHLETE, all he did was swim!  ;D  He is an amazing swimmer, there's no doubt about that but I'm still not convinced that he should have won that seventh medal.  In the overhead slomo replay, the guy to his left seemed to be touching the wall way before Phelps had his arm extended, even the announcer (CBC) said that the other guy should have gotten it.  Was there ever an explanation for this?

I wouldn't say "best athlete" either. Whatever happened to the days when the winner of the decathlon was considered the "best athlete"?  ???  >:(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #203 on: August 25, 2008, 04:13:05 pm »
Here are the top nine comments made by NBC sports commentators so far

during the Summer Olympics that they would like to take back:

1. Weightlifting commentator: 'This is Gregoriava from Bulgaria. I saw
her snatch this morning during her warm up and it was amazing.'

2. Dressage commentator: 'This is really a lovely horse and I speak from
personal experience since I once mounted her mother.'

3. Paul Hamm, Gymnast: 'I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother
and father.'

4. Boxing Analyst: 'Sure there have been injuries, and even some deaths
in boxing, but none of them really that serious.'

5. Softball announcer: 'If history repeats itself, I should think we can
expect the same thing again.'

6. Basketball analyst: 'He dribbles a lot and the opposition doesn't
like it. In fact you can see it all over their faces.'

7. At the rowing medal ceremony: 'Ah, isn't that nice, the wife of the
IOC president is hugging the cox of the British crew.'

8. Soccer commentator: 'Julian Dicks is everywhere. It's like they've
got eleven Dicks on the field.'

9. Tennis commentator: 'One of the reasons Andy is playing so well is
that, before the final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses
them... Oh my God, what have I just said?'

Are those for real?!  They are hilarious!  I remember one comment from a CBC announcer that made us crack up.  I think it was during one of the early Beach Volleyball matches  (an Olympic sport I don't approve of, but that's another story, lol!), it started to rain and the announcer said: "I'm looking up at the stands and it's a sea of yellow."   He was referring to all the raincoats of course,  but man, it was funny.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #204 on: August 25, 2008, 04:13:58 pm »
I'm in love.  Matt Mitchum, an Aussie kept his cool, his good looks and his lovely form and robbed China of their men's platform dive gold sweep.

But he did get the opportunity because the Chinese leader choked on his last dive and Mitchum did not.

Good on ya, Aussies!  ;D ;D ;D

I wanna be the filling in a Thomas Finchum--David Boudia sandwich. ...  ;)  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #205 on: August 25, 2008, 04:20:20 pm »

Are those for real?!  They are hilarious!

Very funny, though #9 is suspiciously similar to something the wife of Arnold Palmer, the golfer, is supposed to have said to Johnny Carson once on the Tonight show. Carson's response was, "I bet that makes his putter stand up!"  :laugh:

Offline iorhael

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #206 on: August 25, 2008, 04:58:40 pm »
I'm in love.  Matt Mitchum, an Aussie kept his cool, his good looks and his lovely form and robbed China of their men's platform dive gold sweep.

But he did get the opportunity because the Chinese leader choked on his last dive and Mitchum did not.

Good on ya, Aussies!  ;D ;D ;D

Hi, I feel can only post a message like this here, but I am absolutely nuts over Matthew Mitcham as well...which makes no sense at all because I am married, and he is gay...not to mention that he is 30-plus years younger than me ;o! But somehow I feel I'm okay in talking about this here...He absolutely won my heart on Saturday night when he upset the almighty Chinese divers and won the gold...I loved him already for his open emotions (which were so refreshing to after seeing all the athletes who stifled them on the podium, including our gal gymnasts) and the fact that he won the gold after going through personal struggles in 2006. I didn't even know at that point that he was gay.

When I found out that out after doing some googling, I admired him all the more. I was extremely miffed at NBC for not showing the medal ceremonies but found it on their site at least. After watching that video, I loved him even more...he was just so wonderful on the podium and especially jumping up on the railing to see his mom and partner, and other Aussies. You gotta love him! He is so adorable...sexy in a cute sort of way...and definitely lovable. I will be following him closely from now on.

Here is the link for the medal ceremonies:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/share.html?videoid=0823_SD_DVM_ME_L1291R7

There are also some interviews of him on You Tube...mostly Aussie stations...very little from the US  >:( What I am wondering is whether NBC not mentioning his accomplishment at all after the meet was because he was not a US athlete or because he was gay...

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #207 on: August 25, 2008, 05:04:25 pm »
welcome iorhael!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline iorhael

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #208 on: August 25, 2008, 06:41:16 pm »
welcome iorhael!

Thanks! I've actually been here since March (after seeing Brokeback Mountain for the first time) ;o but just haven't posted yet due to busy-ness....I had a long intro written out, and then lost all of it somehow, and never had the chance to repost. But Matt Mitcham's story has compelled me to post now.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #209 on: August 25, 2008, 06:50:15 pm »

The French swimmer coasted in and Phelps took that last 1/2 stroke.  It was extremely close - the commentators later said it was like the distance of a fingernail - but Phelps did touch first.  They don't depend on the eyesight of the guy over the lane.  They have some sort of touch-sensor in the wall which will indicate who touched first.

Phelps did win.  That's why you didn't see or hear about a protest from the French.  It's an electronic device that decides who touches when.