Author Topic: Ang Ang Ang  (Read 74659 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Ang Ang Ang - Taking Woodstock
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 05:23:51 pm »
06 August 2008

Ang Lee Is Taking Woodstock
Oscar-winner tackling music festival

Source: Variety

If you see a whole bunch of naked people being politely shouted at by a Taiwanese man later this year, you may well stumbled across production on Ang Lee's Taking Woodstock.

The Oscar-winning Brokeback Mountain director is set to shoot a film chronicling the birth of the legendary music festival beloved of clothing-averse types who like to paint flowers on any yielding surface. Written by James Schamus, a regular Lee Collaborator, the film will be based on a memoir by Elliott Tiber, a man who helped start the event on his neighbour's farm.

Demetri Martin, nerdish cast member of The Daily Show, is already on board to play Tiber, an aspiring interior designer who has his ambitions curbed when he's called upon to run his family's Catskills motel. Volunteering the motel for use as the Woodstock organisers' base of operation brought him into one of the defining events of the hippie era.

Imelda Staunton and Henry Goodman will play Tiber's parents; Emile Hirsch will take on the role of a vietnam vet; Eugene Levy will play Max Yasgur, the owner of the farm where the concert happened; Liev Schreiber is in talks to play a transvestite called Vilma; Jeffrey Dean Morgan is a closeted married man having an affair with Tiber; Paul Dano and Zoe Kazan will play a hippie couple. Mamie Gummer, Dan Fogler and Jonathan Groff also have roles.

Well, that's all very intriguing, but the only way this could sound less like an Ang Lee project would be if you threw in a big, green, giant man...oh, hang on.

Olly Richards

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=23038

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 06:12:15 pm »
 :D

Wow. That will be interesting.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline cmr107

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Call me Courtney
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 02:21:25 am »
If you see a whole bunch of naked people being politely shouted at by a Taiwanese man later this year, you may well stumbled across production on Ang Lee's Taking Woodstock.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2008, 04:11:59 am »
Well, that's all very intriguing, but the only way this could sound less like an Ang Lee project would be if you threw in a big, green, giant man...oh, hang on.

Ang likes green giants ;D ;D ;D

And since he's looking for hippies ....
... fat chance Ang would hire those two flower-power birds if they auditioned  :laugh:

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2008, 02:12:39 pm »
James Schamus named 9th annual Woodstock Film Festival Trailblazer Award winner

By Germain Lussier
Times Herald-Record
August 06, 2008
A green lit movie and a Trailblazer award. Not a bad day for James Schamus.

Schamus, who wrote Ang Lee’s upcoming locally set “Taking Woodstock” (which was officially announced today) is set to receive the 9th annual Trailblazer Award at the upcoming Woodstock Film Festival in early October.

Currently the CEO of Focus Features, Schamus has been nominated for multiple Academy Awards for his screenwriting and songwriting (“Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon”) and producing (“Brokeback Mountain”) in addition to several other accolades.

In a news release, Schamus said “I’m touched to be receiving this honor from one of my very favorite film festivals – one that carries on the spirit of adventure and discovery that characterizes its hometown.”

Meira Blaustein, Co-Founder and Executive Director of the festival said, “The award was created with the intention of honoring those who have taken an innovative and transforming approach in the film industry. Mr. Schamus surpasses those objectives.”

It’ll be presented to him on October 4 . The 9th annual Woodstock Film Festival takes place October 1-5.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2009, 01:41:07 pm »
Saw the following on Facebook's Ang Lee page:

Focus Features' upcoming film Taking Woodstock's Academy-Award winning director Ang Lee and producer/screenwriter James Schamus are coming to The University of California, Berkeley campus on Monday, March 16th at 8:00 PM. Tickets are available at the link below.

http://www.calperfs.berkeley.edu/presents/season/2008/speaking/al_js.php

Taking Woodstock is scheduled to hit theatres this August.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2009, 03:18:20 pm »
Taking Woodstock has entered the official competition at the Cannes Filmfestival.  :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8014606.stm
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2009, 02:42:59 am »
Coming to the Cannes Film Festival

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Iq8z2WDbKo[/youtube]

Offline optom3

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2009, 01:26:58 pm »
I really want to see this film.
 It will take me back to my youth, when I used to sneak off to Glastonbury with my brother.Oh happy days, when anything seemed possible and we had the world at our feet.

Or maybe that was just the weed talking !!!

I continued to go until I was 30 plus,in between marriages and dating an Adonis 19 year old who played the guitar like, Jimmy Paige, and looked like Jon Bon Jovi. !!!

His biggest claim to fame, was playing as warm up for the all female rock band, Girls school. !!! My parents were apoplectic when we got engaged.They need not have been.Once the initial novelty wore off, after about a year, we simply did not have anything to talk about and it all fizzled out.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2009, 01:39:26 pm »
Coming to the Cannes Film Festival

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Iq8z2WDbKo[/youtube]

Woo hoo!  This looks great!  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...