Author Topic: Finally Added To My Score Collection!  (Read 2011 times)

Offline Anya_Angie

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Figure skating is not figure jumping! - Ilia Kulik
    • Balletic Tzar
Finally Added To My Score Collection!
« on: May 28, 2006, 04:04:48 pm »
After a rather long standstill lasting about a year, I've finally added to my film score collection!

I just picked up the "Memoirs of a Geisha" score this week. I have to say, I'm really surprised. It doesn't seem as original as I thought it would sound. I think the emotion really comes out best in the last 4 tracks only, that's where it got really breathtaking. All in all, it sounds like a ripoff of Tan Dun's Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Similar instruments, similar pace. Also, it sounds like Williams copied himself a little, when during the latter part of the score I heard familliar notes that I knew from somewhere in the Star Wars saga, somewhere in the last two prequels. That's the type of thing I would expect from Horner, but not necessarily Williams.

I still haven't seen the film, so I can't say how well it was used, but on album it doesn't sound like anything particularly special or innovative.

I will say though, Williams' score for Munich definitely gives Brokeback Mountain a run for its money. I saw the film last night and it's not nearly as great as Schindler's List, but Munich's score is one of Williams' best. It still doesn't rival the power of Brokeback Mountain, but it gets extremely close.

I want to get that score sometime soon, along with The New World (if you've seen the movie, chances are you have not heard the score, because very little of it was actually used in the film, for some insane reason, go figure directors!).
You can tell the sun in his jealous sky when we walked in fields of gold...