Author Topic: What is your Favorite Cheese?  (Read 19107 times)

injest

What is your Favorite Cheese?
« on: August 01, 2008, 11:15:01 pm »
of course we all know mozzarella is the King of cheeses...

hmmm...maybe I should have named this What is your SECOND favorite cheese!

:laugh: :laugh:

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: What is your Favorite Cheese?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 11:41:07 pm »
Gosh. A cheese poll!! You never know what kinds of polls will pop up in here!  :laugh:

I'm not a big fan of cheese. I certainly don't like it plain. But if it's in something it's okay I guess. I never could understand how people can just cut off a big chunk of cheese and eat it. Yuck!  :P

Having said that, probably my favorite is mozzerella when it's on a pizza. Although my favorite pizza is just the crust and lots of tomato sauce! :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

injest

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 11:47:41 pm »
yep! I dont' like cheese that isnt' melted...except moz!!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 11:51:17 pm »

I voted for Swiss.  Because lately I've been in a Swiss mood.  But really, I love all the cheeses on the list except for blue cheese.

:)

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

injest

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 11:55:40 pm »

I voted for Swiss.  Because lately I've been in a Swiss mood.  But really, I love all the cheeses on the list except for blue cheese.

:)

I like Swiss on a chicken sandwich...with some honey mustard and lettuce and tomato!

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 11:57:18 pm »
Although my favorite pizza is just the crust and lots of tomato sauce

That's just not right.

:P 8) :D ;D
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 12:00:09 am »
I said mild cheddar. It's tasty on a Ritz.  ;)

But I like most of them. I've never had limburger.

Is feta the kind that's on a Greek salad? I like that, too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

injest

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 12:00:54 am »

That's just not right.

(I was trying to be polite...but really! no CHEESE??)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 12:04:04 am »

That's just not right.

It's good that way! I also like those bread sticks they serve, and I ALWAYS dip them in tomato sauce. God, I could take a BATH in that stuff! LOL

I said mild cheddar. It's tasty on a Ritz.  ;)

But I like most of them. I've never had limburger.

Is feta the kind that's on a Greek salad? I like that, too.

I've never tasted limburger before either Shasta, but I've smelled it! It smells like dirty feet. It smells AWFUL!

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 12:10:32 am »
It's good that way! I also like those bread sticks they serve, and I ALWAYS dip them in tomato sauce. God, I could take a BATH in that stuff! LOL

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:o  Kink-ee!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2008, 09:06:15 am »

looove cheese but cheese HATES me!  >:(

Alas, I'm lactose intolerant, so I have to stay away from cheese.  :'(

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2008, 09:54:58 am »
If it weren't for cheese, I'd be a lot thinner!  I love it all, but voted for sharp cheddar.  :)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2008, 12:42:18 pm »
Muenster and Brie, the guests scarf 'em up at my doo dahs! If I serve cheddar, or provolone, people just nibble a little.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2008, 01:01:07 pm »
Muenster and Brie, the guests scarf 'em up at my doo dahs! If I serve cheddar, or provolone, people just nibble a little.

I understand completely. Provolone is kinda bland.

That's something that is certainly missing in Italian cuisine, good cheese. Taleggio and Parmigiano are the one good Italian cheese we could get in the supermarket in Italy. I don't think of mozzarella as a kind of cheese I would serve for a meal. I like it in the classic 'caprese' salad with tomatoes and basil, but other than that, I think of it as a 'cooking' cheese.

Although I love Stilton, my preference goes to French or our own cheeses, like saint nectaire, camenbert, maroilles,.. hmmmm.

I have no idea what sharp cheddar is.  ???
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2008, 01:20:19 pm »
I couldn't possibly choose just one - I really like all those listed (with the exception of Limburger, which I've never tasted). It depends on what I'm eating or cooking or what mood I'm in.  I could live on chunks of cheese and a good crusty bread.

Having said that, probably my favorite is mozzerella when it's on a pizza. Although my favorite pizza is just the crust and lots of tomato sauce! :)

Ironically, David, even though I love cheese, I don't like too much cheese on my pizza, so I can understand this!   Although I love all kinds of pizza with all kinds of toppings, my favorite is probably Pizza Margherita, a very thin crust with a fresh tomato topping, and just a tiny bit of mozzarella.    I also like a thin pizza crust spread with a pesto topping.    And now I've made myself very hungry!  :laugh:

I have no idea what sharp cheddar is.  ???

It's just a very strongly flavored cheddar, Fabienne.  I prefer it over mild cheddar, simply because I like that it has kind of a "bite" to it.  In fact, I prefer stronger flavored cheeses over the milder ones (such as a mild provolone, which can be bland).    Have you ever tried Pecorino Romano - that's an Italian cheese that I like.  It also has quite a "bite" to it, though!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2008, 01:35:04 pm »
I couldn't possibly choose just one - I really like all those listed (with the exception of Limburger, which I've never tasted). It depends on what I'm eating or cooking or what mood I'm in.  I could live on chunks of cheese and a good crusty bread.

Amen!

It's just a very strongly flavored cheddar, Fabienne.  I prefer it over mild cheddar, simply because I like that it has kind of a "bite" to it.  In fact, I prefer stronger flavored cheeses over the milder ones (such as a mild provolone, which can be bland).    Have you ever tried Pecorino Romano - that's an Italian cheese that I like.  It also has quite a "bite" to it, though!

Marie

We were in Pecorino country in Italy. We visited Pienza, which claimed to be the pecorino capital of the world (and thinking about the huge number of cheese shops selling nothing but pecorino, i think they were right LOL). I'm not a big fan of a sheep's cheese like pecorino. There seems to be 'depth' lacking in the taste, or maybe I haven't discovered the right pecorino for me.

And I've googled 'limburger cheese'. I didn't know what that was either. You know 'Limburg' is a province in Belgium, so I'm wondering about the connection?
According to wikipedia there's a Belgian limburger cheese too, Herve cheese. We refer to is as 'stinking cheese' LOL. I've never eaten it, maybe I should try it someday. I like strong cheeses.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2008, 02:00:31 pm »
Amen!

We were in Pecorino country in Italy. We visited Pienza, which claimed to be the pecorino capital of the world (and thinking about the huge number of cheese shops selling nothing but pecorino, i think they were right LOL).

Ah, well, if you were in the pecorino capital, I imagine you got a chance to taste the best - so, yeah, it's probably just not to your taste.  I actually don't know a lot of people who do like it - most prefer parmigiano-reggiano.

We refer to is as 'stinking cheese' LOL. I've never eaten it, maybe I should try it someday. I like strong cheeses.

LOL!  That's the only thing I've ever heard about Limburger, too.  But I should probably try it b/c I also like strong cheeses. 

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2008, 04:03:37 pm »
I checked "Swiss" but would have checked several more if there were options, including Chedder and Gouda. I like most cheeses other than the "blue" varieties like Stilton, Roquefort or Gorgonzola.  You'd have to hold a gun to my head to get me to eat anything with visible mold.

But you didn't have Velveeta on the list!   ;)

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2008, 04:06:56 pm »
Although I love Stilton, my preference goes to French or our own cheeses, like saint nectaire, camenbert, maroilles,.. hmmmm.

I just Googled nectaire at http://www.cheese-france.com/cheese/saint_nectaire.htm  and it sounds delicious!  Does it taste anything similar to gouda?

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2008, 04:35:11 pm »
I just Googled nectaire at http://www.cheese-france.com/cheese/saint_nectaire.htm  and it sounds delicious!  Does it taste anything similar to gouda?

Not really. It's a lot tastier, in fact. I think the richness of the taste has to do with the fact that this is a farm cheese, and the taste is influence by the food the cows are given.

It's not a strong taste, but really rich and nutty. The taste also varies during the season. It's delicious.

Offline optom3

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2008, 09:05:50 pm »
I can't think of a cheese I don't like but my favourite is  really creamy blue stilton,not the crumbly stuff.I like to be able to spread it on fresh crusty bread or crackers.
Actually there is one cheese even I can't stomach and that is a pericularly pungent one called,stinking bishop, and it really does stink.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2008, 10:09:27 pm »
I can't think of a cheese I don't like but my favourite is  really creamy blue stilton,not the crumbly stuff.I like to be able to spread it on fresh crusty bread or crackers.
Actually there is one cheese even I can't stomach and that is a pericularly pungent one called,stinking bishop, and it really does stink.

I remember you telling us about Stinking Bishop once before Fiona! That sounds very much like limburger, which I think is "off the  charts" stinky. WHEEW!!  :P

I don't know how people eat things like that. But I'm probably not a very good judge, because I really don't like cheese all that much.

Offline optom3

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2008, 12:21:41 am »

I remember you telling us about Stinking Bishop once before Fiona! That sounds very much like limburger, which I think is "off the  charts" stinky. WHEEW!!  :P

I don't know how people eat things like that. But I'm probably not a very good judge, because I really don't like cheese all that much.

I thought I remembered mentioning it before.We were served it at a dinner party once, and myself and husband thought it was a joke.When the lid came of the container the smell was so bad it made our eyes run.We left the table utterly convinced as I say that it was an after dinner party joke.
To our chagrin, it wasn't and despite trying to laugh it off we offended our hosts!

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2008, 06:02:59 am »
I haven't chosen any because I really love cheese and want them all.  ;D One thing I remember from my first visit to the US is that you colored your cheese orange!! :o ::) :P The pale yellow that I was used to from Europe was hard to find.....

In Denmark they make wonderful cheese, and Italy, and Germany and don't forget France and even we in Sweden know how to make cheese......the Swiss and UK....well, many countries make tasty cheese..... :laugh:

Try it even if it smells, the taste can be worth it!

Berit
Ennis.....always Ennis.....

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2008, 06:06:42 am »
I thought I remembered mentioning it before.We were served it at a dinner party once, and myself and husband thought it was a joke.When the lid came of the container the smell was so bad it made our eyes run.We left the table utterly convinced as I say that it was an after dinner party joke.
To our chagrin, it wasn't and despite trying to laugh it off we offended our hosts!

OUCH!!

:laugh:  :laugh:

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2008, 06:06:55 am »
I forgot the Dutch!! Don't ever forget the Dutch when it comes to cheese! Gouda, and of course Edam..... ;D

Berit
Ennis.....always Ennis.....

injest

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2008, 10:31:09 am »
ok I added Velveeta (and Cheez Whiz  :laugh: :laugh: ) and you can now make up to five choices!

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2008, 11:23:43 am »
Not really. It's a lot tastier, in fact. I think the richness of the taste has to do with the fact that this is a farm cheese, and the taste is influence by the food the cows are given.

It's not a strong taste, but really rich and nutty. The taste also varies during the season. It's delicious.

I Googled nectaire cheese again and found at least one Internet source where you can buy it, at http://idealcheese.com/search.aspx?find=nectaire 

A lot of the wines produced in my state (Missouri) are made from regional varietals like Seyval, Vidal and Norton (a/k/a Cynthiana) grapes and now I'm curious to see what kind of local wine I could pair with that kind of cheese.  A tough research project, but someone's gotta do it.

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2008, 11:38:21 am »
I love cheese, all kinds, but not the real smelly ones.

When I was on a diet, one time, the only cheese I was allowed to eat was Gouda, which I like.

Do you have creamed cheese over there, it comes in a jar and is a creamy cheese spread. Thats nice on toast and crumpets, and when heated in the microwave can substitute for a white cheese sauce for cauliflower or brocolli.

And I did have  a lovely cheese one time, which was part of a platter, it had walnuts in it and was delicious.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2008, 10:55:58 am »

Have you tasted it htough Fiona - mmmmmm - so nice! Also smelly (more so than stinking bishop but more yummier) is Epoisses - you need to keep it outta the fridge and in the warmth so its soft - mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I assume sharp cheddar is mature cheddar as we brits would call it so i voted for that along with feta swiss brie and mozzarella

I also love hulumni which is another greek cheese - its great on vegetable kebabs as it doesnt melt (its a rubbery texture)
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2008, 03:20:54 pm »
Kelda, you told me about the haloumi cheese. I'll try to find some. It sound interesting. I was saw Nigella Lawson on tv make something with it, but I had no idea what the cheese was.

And I love Epoisse cheese. Have you ever tried it in the oven? You make little holes in it with a fork and pour a bit of white wine in them. Then you put in in a low heat oven for a few minutes, so the cheese starts to melt a bit. Put it on crusty french bread, hmmmm, delicious.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2008, 05:16:30 pm »
I've never met any cheese I don't like, though I haven't tried Limburger.  ::)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline optom3

« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2008, 10:23:44 pm »
Kelda, you told me about the haloumi cheese. I'll try to find some. It sound interesting. I was saw Nigella Lawson on tv make something with it, but I had no idea what the cheese was.

And I love Epoisse cheese. Have you ever tried it in the oven? You make little holes in it with a fork and pour a bit of white wine in them. Then you put in in a low heat oven for a few minutes, so the cheese starts to melt a bit. Put it on crusty french bread, hmmmm, delicious.

I am going to make that tomorrow.I am salivating justb thinking of it.I love baked brie but this sounds  a whole heap better.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2008, 10:46:15 pm »
The Epoisse cheese with wine sounds delicious and I wondered why I'd never heard of it, so I googled it and found out it's banned in the U.S.  :-\  The description of the aroma in this article is pretty amusing, though:  "like your 15-year-old son's socks after a baseball game, but in a nice way."   :laugh:

http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/popups/banned_products/frameset.2.exclude.html

But I'll try to find the haloumi!

Marie

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2008, 10:47:33 pm »
The Epoisse cheese with wine sounds delicious and I wondered why I'd never heard of it, so I googled it and found out it's banned in the U.S.  :-\  The description of the aroma in this article is pretty amusing, though:  "like your 15-year-old son's socks after a baseball game, but in a nice way."   :laugh:

Marie

They need to ban that awful limburger crap too! It smells like a dirty feet cassarole. :laugh:

PEEEE-EEEEWWWWW! :P

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2008, 04:29:25 am »
Cambozola, Jarlsberg, extra sharp cheddar, cheese good

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2008, 05:04:21 am »

OMG that sounds amazing.. I'm drolling at the thoguht of ot.. its pretty hard to get epoisses here and s fairly expensive so I think I'll save that for a speical treat....! Also Callum hates the pong!!

Oh and the cheese - I can never spell it right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloumi

http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline optom3

« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2008, 06:12:47 pm »

Marie

That's why Wholefoods don't have it. I was so annoyed they didn't ,I bought several mini cheese cakes, stilton and some brie. So that was a cheap trip, not.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2008, 02:27:34 pm »
So, Leslie and I went to Leuven yesterday and a visit to the cheese shop was imperative.

We had a lovely meal with very nice cheese, bread, beer and wine (white and red).

The cheeses we had were: Saint Nectaire, Reblochon, Brie de meaux, Stilton, and a goat's cheese from Rocamadour. Except for the Stilton, all were from France. Good cheese, good wine, good company, what more do you need?

:)  :)

injest

« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2008, 10:24:01 pm »
So, Leslie and I went to Leuven yesterday and a visit to the cheese shop was imperative.

We had a lovely meal with very nice cheese, bread, beer and wine (white and red).

The cheeses we had were: Saint Nectaire, Reblochon, Brie de meaux, Stilton, and a goat's cheese from Rocamadour. Except for the Stilton, all were from France. Good cheese, good wine, good company, what more do you need?

Jack and Ennis as dining partners?

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2008, 10:34:59 pm »
That sounds really nice, Fabienne and Leslie!  Color me a bit envious! :)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2008, 10:22:08 am »

Oh that sounds like my idea of a perfect evening! I'm envious, too.   :)  Have fun, both of you!

Marie

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2008, 09:12:01 pm »
I picked Mozzarella, Muenster, mild cheddar, bleu cheese, and provolone.

Although one that I love that isn't on the list is havarti.  A nice, creamy type of cheese.  very tasty.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2008, 07:23:22 pm »
I didn't like blue cheese for the longest time but for some reason, I am very much into it now.

Another favorite: aged white cheddar cheese.

injest

« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2008, 07:33:05 pm »
I didn't like blue cheese for the longest time but for some reason, I am very much into it now.

Another favorite: aged white cheddar cheese.

I always thought blue cheese was disgusting...but I had it in a salad with fruit? wunnnerful!!

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2008, 07:40:05 pm »
I always thought blue cheese was disgusting...but I had it in a salad with fruit? wunnnerful!!

Never tried it with fruit before.. I'll keep it in mind.

We were in Rockport, MA weeks back and went to this awesome little restaurant that served the most amazing salads.
I ordered a Caesar salad with roasted salmon and blue cheese sprinkled on top.
Man, it was delicious.
I think that was the beginning of my blue cheese phase...  :)

injest

« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2008, 07:44:58 pm »
Never tried it with fruit before.. I'll keep it in mind.

We were in Rockport, MA weeks back and went to this awesome little restaurant that served the most amazing salads.
I ordered a Caesar salad with roasted salmon and blue cheese sprinkled on top.
Man, it was delicious.
I think that was the beginning of my blue cheese phase...  :)

salads with fruit in them has gotten to be big around here. and I know it is a fast food place but Jack in the Box had a apple walnut salad that was the BOMB....I love them...so of course they stopped carrying them... :P

good to see you Milli

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2008, 01:39:03 am »

A cheese meal is ofter served with fruit here. Blue cheeses are especially good with pear.

I also like grapes and nuts with my cheese. Fresh figs are nice too, but I'm not a big fan of them. 

I feel another trip to the cheese shop coming up.  :)

injest

« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2008, 08:18:55 am »
lort, I bought some mozzerella made with real milk, not the skim milk we usually get...but oh man there is a difference!

YUM!