Author Topic: Google Doodles  (Read 247461 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Re: Google Doodles
« Reply #400 on: September 05, 2011, 10:27:37 am »
In the US, we get a tiny flag for Labor Day.  To get the Queen doodle, you have to use google.ca.

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #401 on: September 05, 2011, 11:28:04 am »
To get the Queen doodle, you have to use google.ca.

Here you go:
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe0gIFxYhrk[/youtube]

Offline Fran

« Reply #402 on: September 16, 2011, 12:25:47 am »

Albert Szent-Györgyi's 118th Birthday

From IBN Live:

New Delhi: A pair of oranges find a place of pride on the Google home page in commemoration of the 118th birthday of Albert Szent-Györgyi. The Hungarian physiologist credited with discovering vitamin C and also the components and reactions of the citric acid cycle was honoured with the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine in 1937.

Born in Budapest, Austro-Hungary on September 16, 1893, Szent-Györgyi's family included three generations of scientists. Prior to the First World War Szent-Györgyi studied at the Semmelweis University, but showed more interest in his uncle's anatomy lab. During the war he served as an army medic but managed to take leave from military service on medical grounds. On his return from the war, Szent-Györgyi finished his medical degree.

During his research career Szent-Györgyi worked in a number of universities. He was awarded with the Nobel Prize in 1937 for "For his discoveries in connection with the biological combustion process with special reference to vitamin C and the catalysis of fumaric acid"

With communism taking control of Hungary after the Second World War, Szent-Györgyi emigrated to the United States in 1947. He died in Woods Hole, Massachusetts, on October 22, 1986.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #403 on: September 16, 2011, 12:36:51 am »

Albert Szent-Györgyi's 118th Birthday

I had another Hunh? moment with today's Google doodle. Looks like the logo of a fruit company to me. :laugh:
I like how they make me look up stuff. :)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #404 on: September 16, 2011, 06:06:10 am »

I had another Hunh? moment with today's Google doodle. Looks like the logo of a fruit company to me. :laugh:
I like how they make me look up stuff. :)

I thought it looked like a retro fuit company logo too!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Fran

« Reply #405 on: September 23, 2011, 11:22:11 pm »

From PCMag.com:

Google Doodle Honors 75th Birthday of Muppets Creator Jim Henson

By Chloe Albanesius
September 23, 2011 08:11pm EST

Google is celebrating the 75th birthday of Muppets creator Jim Henson with an interactive homepage doodle that turns the average Web user into a puppeteer.

"Become a digital puppeteer today and tomorrow with our homepage tribute to Jim Henson!" Google tweeted.

Henson's birthday is on Saturday, September 24, but Google got the party started early Friday night. The doodle features six original characters crafted by the Jim Henson Digital Puppetry Studio and brought to life on the Web by Google engineers. Each colorful creature sits atop a small button; press it and the character will follow your mouse's movements. Clicking on the character, meanwhile, will make it "talk."

"It's so fitting since Jim was such a prolific doodler," Mel Horan, art director at the Jim Henson Company, said in a video (below) about the doodle project. "His creative process began with a single doodle and evolved into these amazing characters he brought to life. We tried to capture that and merge it with Google's logo."

The characters were designed at the Henson Company and modeled into a digital puppet in Jim Henson's Creature Shop before being handed over to Google.
Jim Henson doodle

"There are also special animations to discover as you play with the doodle," teased Kris Hom, a software engineer at Google.

Henson's son Brian wrote a guest post for the Google blog, in which he remembered his father as "one of those rare parents who was always ready to play again."

"Although he loved family, his work was almost never about 'traditional' families," Brian continued. "The Muppets were a family—a very diverse one. One of his life philosophies was that we should love people not for their similarities, but for their differences."

Jim Henson "loved gadgets and technology," Brian wrote, and his company "continues to develop cutting-edge technology for animatronics and digital animation, like this cool Google doodle celebrating Jim's 75th birthday. But I think even he would have found it hilarious the way today some people feel that when they've got their smartphone, they no longer need their brain."

Tomorrow, meanwhile, YouTube will launch The Jim Henson Company's featured playlist, which includes a retrospective of Jim's performing career and rare behind the scenes clips. It will be introduced by puppets Bobby Vegan and Samson Knight, voiced Bill Barretta and Brian Henson, respectively.

From Sam and Friends to The Muppet Show

Henson was born in Mississippi in 1936 and later relocated to the Washington, DC area, where he got his start in 1954 performing puppets on a Saturday morning TV show. The following year, while studying at the University of Maryland, Henson earned his own own five-minute, twice daily TV show on a local NBC affiliate, Sam and Friends. The show, which Henson produced with his future wife Jane Nebel, featured an early version of Kermit the Frog.

Henson's first nationally known character, according to his company, was Rowlf the Dog, who was a regular on The Jimmy Dean Show in the early 60s. When public TV producer Joan Ganz Cooney was developing Sesame Street several years later, she asked Henson to create a cast of characters for the show, which resulted in such iconic creatures as Bert and Ernie, Big Bird, Oscar the Grouch, Grover, and Cookie Monster.

It was not until 1975, however, that Henson's Muppets got a show of their own, and the world was introduced to Kermit, Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, Animal, Gonzo, Scooter, Lew Zealand, and Rizzo the Rat. The show attracted a slew of celebrity stars, and produced a number of feature films, the next installment of which is scheduled to be released later this year.

Henson also brought his creations to the big screen with The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth. The staff who worked on those movies were the beginnings of the Henson Creature Shop. He did not leave TV behind, though, also working on Fraggle Rock, Jim Henson's Muppet Babies, Jim Henson's The Storyteller, and Jim Henson's Greek Myths.

Henson died in 1990 in New York City after a brief illness.

"Jim was clearly a great visionary. But he also wanted everyone around him fully committed creatively. If you asked him how a movie would turn out, he'd say, 'It'll be what this group can make, and if you changed any one of them, it would be a different movie,'" his son Brian wrote. "Every day for him was joyously filled with the surprises of other people's ideas. I often think that if we all lived like that, not only would life be more interesting, we'd all be a lot happier."

Offline Fran

« Reply #406 on: September 23, 2011, 11:37:55 pm »
It's fun:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qtFeF6o82o[/youtube]

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #407 on: September 26, 2011, 03:37:10 pm »

From PCMag.com:

Google Doodle Honors 75th Birthday of Muppets Creator Jim Henson

Henson's birthday is on Saturday, September 24, but Google got the party started early Friday night. The doodle features six original characters crafted by the Jim Henson Digital Puppetry Studio and brought to life on the Web by Google engineers. Each colorful creature sits atop a small button; press it and the character will follow your mouse's movements. Clicking on the character, meanwhile, will make it "talk."

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

OMG, I'm laughing out loud in my cube now.

I'm just realizing that they're "puppets" and don't talk unless you provide the voice.  I sat at my computer at home for 30 minutes the day this appeared, trying to figure out why there was no noise and playing with the volume on my speakers.

It wasn't until I just read the "talk" in quotes in the bolded part above did I get it!!!!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Fran

« Reply #408 on: September 27, 2011, 12:28:52 am »

Google's 13th Birthday!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #409 on: September 27, 2011, 01:19:24 am »

It wasn't until I just read the "talk" in quotes in the bolded part above did I get it!!!!

Me neither. ::)
I also fiddled with volume, even tried another computer, lol.
I only heard the sounds in the vid Fran posted, so thanks Fran!

What I did see though, was how the red monster to the right ate up Beeker (name?) next to him, which wasn't in the video.