Author Topic: OT - What/'who' made you non-homophobic?  (Read 9988 times)

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: OT - What/'who' made you non-homophobic?
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2006, 09:30:59 am »
They were my boyfriends, without the sex, y'know? We'd "date", go to movies, dinner, clubbing, watch vids at home with popcorn and snuggle under the blankets together. We'd hug, we'd groom each other, point out blokes with a suggestive eyebrow raise, nudge nudge etc. They were also like girlfriends with far more money and far better fashion sense.

That the kind of relationship I usually have with my male gay friends. In fact, there's one whom I wish he wasn't gay. He's so perfect! I'm also good friends with several lesbians.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline FuzzyChanny

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "Youth is wasted on the young..."
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2006, 11:33:16 am »
Fuzzy?!
~ j U d E

Sorry Jude, I was feeling a little bit bitter at the time about it. It's a long story, but basically my best friend, who came out a few months ago, accussed me and my other best friend of being homophobic (and multiple other things)... reason why unclear. I am incredibly upset about it, because as someone who hates discrimination of all kinds, I take HUGE offence to being called that and he's my best friend, not even a random person I just spoke to.

That kind of answered why I'm not homophobic. I hate discrimination, I hate judging people, who am I to be against what they want to be. And I'm also a bit like hungry_hungryhippos in that I seem to be drawn (not in a sexual way) to gay people, particularly gay men.
I've learnt that you cannot make someone love you. All you can do is stalk them and hope they panic and give in!

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2006, 08:45:45 am »
FUZZY, maybe he is upset, because you are leaving the country and moving to a new continent..

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2006, 09:00:37 am »
Sorry Jude, I was feeling a little bit bitter at the time about it. It's a long story, but basically my best friend, who came out a few months ago, accussed me and my other best friend of being homophobic (and multiple other things)... reason why unclear. I am incredibly upset about it, because as someone who hates discrimination of all kinds, I take HUGE offence to being called that and he's my best friend, not even a random person I just spoke to.

also, if he's just announced to the world hes gay, and its a big deal for him, his brain and emotions are probably frazzled and hes venting against those he loves most.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2006, 09:49:35 am »
also, if he's just announced to the world hes gay, and its a big deal for him, his brain and emotions are probably frazzled and hes venting against those he loves most.

Good call, Kelda.  I think you're onto something, there.

It's just never occurred to me to think that people are "weird" or "different" or whatever if they happen to be attracted to members of their own sex or members of both sexes.  I guess I've just always figured you can't help who you're attracted to.  It'd be like, I dunno, trying to will your irises to be a different color.  Just the same, we can't help the color of the skin and the other physical attributes we're born with.  It's always made me sick to my stomach when I've seen other people making fun of anyone for looking different.  I can relate to it to a small extent personally in that I was always much taller than everyone else growing up.  They didn't start to catch up and surpass me until high school.  I was 5'7" when I was 9 years old.  I just ended up staying there.  So I'd get "What's the weather like up there?" and stupid shit like that a lot.  And when I was in the first and second grades, they called me "The Fang" (lovely, eh?) because I'd lost my four front baby teeth and the adult ones hadn't come in yet, but those canines were more than happy to come in early and prominently.

Maybe it's a combination of things - not being wired from the beginning to fear anything or anyone that isn't just like me, growing up too fast and too early because my home life sort of necessitated it, and being the object of ridicule early in life myself - that makes me just plain not get discrimination.  It's completely foreign to me.  And so it never ceases to amaze and shock me whenever I see it.  Which made my childhood all the more interesting in that my mother and brothers, I'm very sorry to say, were (and still are)  insufferable bigots.
No more beans!

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2006, 03:39:13 pm »
I am just bumping some old threads for the new members here.  Hope you enjoy reading it.

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2006, 11:26:13 am »
Thank you for saving this.