Author Topic: Favorite Kind of Tea?  (Read 13743 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Favorite Kind of Tea?
« on: August 13, 2008, 08:33:21 pm »
On our recent adventure in Wyoming, Sister-Mod Lee bought me a pretty little wooden box filled with Huckleberry Tea (we also had Huckleberry flavored ice cream in Ten Sleep!).  And, it's so delicious that it inspired me to start this new poll.  Also, having the box unwrapped from it's outer plastic wrap is making my whole kitchen smell fragrant.
:)

I'm also quite a tea lover.  I love coffee too, but I've always enjoyed a good cup of tea and my parents have given me some really interesting and exotic teas over the years.  So, I feel like I have a somewhat good understanding of tea at this point.  It seems like wine a little bit to me... it's sort of a specialty.  Also, my Mom collects teapots (she probably has over a hundred now) so, it's a very home-y association for me.

My favorite kind of black tea is hands-down Darjeeling.  And, I also quite enjoy Oolong.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
Re: Favorite Kind of Tea?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 09:12:25 pm »
I love tea too Amanda! :D

This is sooooooo 80s I know, but I make sun tea all the time. I have two large glass jars which I fill with water. Then I place about 15 tea bags in each jar and set them out on the back deck in the morning sun. By the end of the day, I bring them in and place them inside the refrigerator. Later that night they'll be ready to drink. Unsweetened ice tea in the summer is the best! I love it.

I'm not sure what kind of tea I use though. I just use those Lipton tea bags when I make my sun tea. :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 09:24:18 pm »
Hi David!

I love sun tea too.  It's a great way to brew iced tea.  But, sadly, in an apartment I really don't have any outdoor space where I can do that.  I often order iced tea (unsweetened) at restaurants during lunches out.

And, like I mentioned, my Mom is a big tea person... in fact she's way more of a tea person than me.  She doesn't drink coffee, so tea is her hot beverage of choice.  And, of all the fancy black teas she's tried, she often or even usually still gravitates back to Lipton's on a daily basis.  She refuses to drink herbal and decaf tea for the most part.

Lipton's basic black tea is made out of a Orange Pekoe and Pekoe tea blend, which are standard kinds of black tea.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 09:31:22 pm »
Another tea lover!  In the summer I like unsweetened iced tea, but in the cooler weather I usually have a cup of green tea every night.  I like to put some fresh mint in it. 

David, I used to love to make sun tea!  Maybe I'll make some this weekend now that you've reminded me. 

My mom collects teapots too, Amanda!  I just got her another one for her birthday in July.  It's fun to hunt through small gift and antique shops for unusual ones.

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 09:39:32 pm »
My mom collects teapots too, Amanda!  I just got her another one for her birthday in July.  It's fun to hunt through small gift and antique shops for unusual ones.

That's cool Marie!  It is fun to shop for them.  My Mom really likes the unusual ones too... teapots shaped like funny things, etc.  It's actually getting hard to find cool teapots of interest to her now because she already has so many.  My Dad built little bookshelves up the expanse of one wall in their kitchen and her teapots are displayed there.  It almost looks like 3-D wallpaper, it's pretty cool.  But, my Mom's one quirky thing is that there's only one teapot that my Mom will actually use to make and serve tea.  It's the one my Dad gave her the day I was born!  All her other teapots are just decorative.

One time I found a tea brick for my Mom as a gift and it's now one of her prized tea-possessions.  It's a compressed "brick" of dried tea leaves and in the process of compressing the leaves into a brick shape a mold was used so that there's a really pretty little design on top of the "brick."  Apparently, in the olden days they used to ship tea in brick form.

And, more on the Huckleberry tea from Lee... I should qualify this by saying it's black tea flavored with Huckleberry, which is ideal for me.  I like strong and caffeinated tea.  I'm not usually a fan of purely herbal teas.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 10:05:42 pm »
My Dad built little bookshelves up the expanse of one wall in their kitchen and her teapots are displayed there.  It almost looks like 3-D wallpaper, it's pretty cool.  But, my Mom's one quirky thing is that there's only one teapot that my Mom will actually use to make and serve tea.  It's the one my Dad gave her the day I was born!  All her other teapots are just decorative.

Oh, I love how you describe it as "3-D wallpaper."  That sounds awesome! My mom's teapots are all decorative, too - she doesn't have nearly as many as your mom, but she has them on shelves and in a little curio in her kitchen.   And what a sweet story about the day you were born.   :)   Thanks for the info about the "tea brick"  - a great gift idea!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 10:07:48 pm »
Hi David!

I love sun tea too.  It's a great way to brew iced tea.  But, sadly, in an apartment I really don't have any outdoor space where I can do that.  I often order iced tea (unsweetened) at restaurants during lunches out.

And, like I mentioned, my Mom is a big tea person... in fact she's way more of a tea person than me.  She doesn't drink coffee, so tea is her hot beverage of choice.  And, of all the fancy black teas she's tried, she often or even usually still gravitates back to Lipton's on a daily basis.  She refuses to drink herbal and decaf tea for the most part.

Lipton's basic black tea is made out of a Orange Pekoe and Pekoe tea blend, which are standard kinds of black tea.

Amanda, I had that problem in an apartment I was living in, and I found that a window sill works just fine! Or you can set it in front of a glass door on a table too.

You know what? Somebody once told me the sun tea really doesn't need any sunlight at all. The sunshine will make the tea brew faster, but it will work even if you just set it on the kitchen counter. So you can still make it if you want to. :)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 10:09:49 pm »

Thanks for the tip David! :)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 11:19:49 pm »
Good topic, Amanda!  8)

I never liked tea much growing up til I had some Earl Grey, which I drank for years until I had some Assam tea from Taylor's of Harrowgate.  Now that's my tea of choice.  :)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 11:54:38 pm »
Tea is my choice of hot drink to wake me up and have after a meal. I just use extra strong tea bags, and have milk and sugar.

Often when I mention to someone from America that I am having a cup of tea, I get a "la de dah" reaction. I'm sure some of you think we still drink tea out of a little teaup and with our little finger poking out. Not the case at all, most people I know drink tea out of a large cup or a mug.

I also drink Camomille tea. It is a great relaxant and can also settle an upset stomach.

I collect teapots too. Look out for odd ones when I go to a market or second hand shop. Have them sitting all over the place, on widowsills, on top of the fridge and microwave.

I have a beatiful bone china tea set (cup, saucer and plate setting for 6) which my mother in law bought me for an engagement present over 40 years ago. It has been in many removals over those years, and has just one little chip out of one cup.  I have never used it, but have always had it on display whever i live.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 12:31:35 am »
Another tea lover!  In the summer I like unsweetened iced tea, but in the cooler weather I usually have a cup of green tea every night.  I like to put some fresh mint in it. 

David, I used to love to make sun tea!  Maybe I'll make some this weekend now that you've reminded me. 

Marie

If you decide to make it Marie, let me know how it turns out, okay? :)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 10:55:04 am »

I'm sitting here in my office drinking Darjeeling tea right now!  Yum!  Or as Ennis would say over a can of beans, "Mmmmmmmm".

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 01:50:03 pm »
I don't tea very often....more of a hot chocolate person.  ;D

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 10:53:35 pm »
I'm not much of a tea drinker, either, but Earl Grey is good. Beyond that I checked "Other" becuase I didn't know how else to categorize Twining's Irish Breakfast tea.

You could also say my favorite herbal tea combines two of the choices, fruit and spice, because it's Apple Cinnamon.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2008, 12:09:25 am »
Tea is my hot drink of choice. I don't drink cold tea. I'm not fond of the taste or smell of coffee.

My favourite teas weren't listed, so I ticked "Other." My favourites are:

* Twinings Ceylon Orange Pekoe Tea (the "orange" relates to its colour, not  the flavour)

* Twinings Irish Breakfast Tea

I'll make anything up to 4 pots of tea a day. I love my tea. It's a comfort drink for me.

I don't collect tea pots, but I do have a nice collection of pretty teacup/saucer/plate sets. The one I treasure the most is a beautiful Salisbury English bone china set, which my dear mother used for her breakfast tea and toast. It was given as a gift to my Mum by my brother (deceased) in the late 1950s and Mum used it every morning from then, right up to her death in 1991. I have it on a stand, in a display case in my living room. I can't bring myself to use it.

I also have a beautiful Shelley English bone china tea set, belonging to my maternal grandmother (1869-1960), which I also treasure.

The teacup I personally used every day is Queen's English bone china, with a Night Scented Flowers pattern. I love it. It's very pretty.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 04:14:38 am by Kerry »
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2008, 06:57:52 pm »
earl grey with milk. I get no end to derision from Dusty for my effete tea drinking habits.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2008, 11:15:09 pm »
I used to like very much Earl Grey, but what was in it to make it smell like perfume a bit?

Offline horo04

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2008, 11:28:05 pm »
I like my tea cold and my coffee hot! Not the other way around like with these people that drink iced coffees' at Tim Hortons. yargh!
"The mountains are calling and I must go"

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2008, 12:00:45 am »

I'm also very fond of Twining's Russian Caravan Tea. Yum!  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2008, 12:03:09 am »
I used to like very much Earl Grey, but what was in it to make it smell like perfume a bit?

It's bergamot that gives Earl Grey and Lady Grey teas their distinctive, perfume-like aroma.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2008, 01:45:28 am »

I once had a candle that was scented with bergamot and it was fantastic!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2008, 02:01:46 am »

Huh?  ???

It smells like perfume? Oy vay!

It's bergamot that gives Earl Grey and Lady Grey teas their distinctive, perfume-like aroma.

What is bergamot? Is it perfume? Perhaps I should google it and find out. I'm not too keen on the idea of drinking toilet water.  :P

I've drank Earl Grey before and I don't remember it smelling of perfume!  :-\

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2008, 02:32:35 am »
Huh?  ???

It smells like perfume? Oy vay!

What is bergamot? Is it perfume? Perhaps I should google it and find out. I'm not too keen on the idea of drinking toilet water.  :P

I've drank Earl Grey before and I don't remember it smelling of perfume!  :-\

I once had a vial of bergamot essential oil and would add a few drops to water, along with other essential oils such as Patchouli and Sandalwood and burn them in an evaporating oil lamp. It fills the room with a beautifully exotic, incense-like perfume, without the smoky residue of incense sticks. Earl Grey and Lady Grey teas do have a distinctive, perfume-like, bergamot aroma. I'm personally not fond of drinking bergamot in my tea.  :P
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2008, 02:40:46 am »
I once had a vial of bergamot essential oil and would add a few drops to water, along with other essential oils such as Patchouli and Sandalwood and burn them in an evaporating oil lamp. It fills the room with a beautifully exotic, incense-like perfume, without the smoky residue of incense sticks. Earl Grey and Lady Grey teas do have a distinctive, perfume-like, bergamot aroma. I'm personally not fond of drinking bergamot in my tea.  :P

Oh now, I LOVE Patchouli and Sandalwood. I burn them as an incense all the time. I love the smell, and they are also very effective aphrodisiacs. lol

But I've never heard of putting them in tea! Have you Kerry?

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2008, 02:51:11 am »
Oh now, I LOVE Patchouli and Sandalwood. I burn them as an incense all the time. I love the smell, and they are also very effective aphrodisiacs. lol

But I've never heard of putting them in tea! Have you Kerry?

Haha, I suspect it's an acquired taste, David, lol.  ;)   :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2008, 02:18:45 pm »

Well, I think a lot of teas are a little bit perfume-y.  Earl Grey for one, but also Jasmine tea is very fragrant.  I think the fragrance is a big part of the appeal of a lot of teas.  One of my favorite kinds of specialty teas is black tea with dried rose petals in it (often called things like Victorian Rose Petal tea).  It's really yummy!  Rose petal tea is different from rose hip tea, which has a very hearty flavor.

Also, have you ever had lavendar ice cream or lavendar cake?  It's definitely an acquired taste but I think it's really good.  And, then some old fashioned candies are made out of violets. 

In the grocery store you can also often find packages of edible flowers in the produce area meant to go in salads or to be used as garnish on cakes.

It interesting how many foods really are made with ingredients associated with perfumes.  It's like a variation on the whole idea of herbs.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2008, 05:56:55 pm »
Good old fashoned tetly for me or Scottish blend - I guess these are what you'd call an english tea.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2008, 06:37:08 pm »
Wow! All this talk of tea is making me thirsty! I'm going to get my ass up and pour a glass of refreshing ice tea! I think there's still some in the refrigerator. If not, I'll make some more. :)

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2008, 07:59:17 pm »
I think it is the bergamot.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2008, 08:26:54 pm »
Merci brokeplex!

I think that you are right, as I remember now that it has that ?

But that tea if first class?

Grand-maman used to complained often about tea having sand ! Maybe your grand-mother did too ? You heard the results?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline KristinDaBomb

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
    • My Blog
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2008, 08:28:59 pm »
I love Nestea, and there is a kind I get, I can't remember the name, but it is raspberry flavored. It is so good. :)
xoxo

~Kristin~

<3

Offline Artiste

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2008, 08:44:19 pm »
Oh !

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2008, 08:52:07 pm »
Merci brokeplex!

Grand-maman used to complained often about tea having sand ! Maybe your grand-mother did too ? You heard the results?

Au revoir,
hugs!

sand? sand mixed into the tea leaves? never heard of it.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2008, 12:36:51 am »
Merci brokeplex!

Au revoir,
hugs!

I've never heard of anyone putting sand in their tea before! Eww yuck. But that reminds me of something that happened several years back. LOL

This has NOTHING to do with tea, but with coffee instead. When I was living in Evansville, my roommate's mother moved in with us for a while. Her name was Alice and she was in her late 80s at the time. I used to make coffee for her every morning. She had a health care service come each day to give her her baths and take her vital signs, etc. Anyway, one day Alice told the heath care worker that the coffee I made for her had drugs in them. This obviously alarmed the nurse, and later that day they sent the supervisor down to the house to find out what was going on. I told him I have NEVER put drugs in her coffee! I mean, the old lady could be very demanding and hateful sometimes, but I certainly didn't want to drug her. Come to find out, she was saying "dregs" or "drags", not drugs. In other words, sometimes my coffee had drags in them - coffee grounds. But the way she was pronouncing it, it sounded like "drugs" to the nurse. And she was right. Sometimes that automatic coffee maker would "flip" the filter, and fold it over when the water started pouring in it. If this happened, some of the coffee grounds would enter the pot and the coffee would have drags in it.  :P

Drugs in her coffee. Good lord.  ::)

injest

« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2008, 08:20:13 am »
I've never heard of anyone putting sand in their tea before! Eww yuck. But that reminds me of something that happened several years back. LOL

This has NOTHING to do with tea, but with coffee instead. When I was living in Evansville, my roommate's mother moved in with us for a while. Her name was Alice and she was in her late 80s at the time. I used to make coffee for her every morning. She had a health care service come each day to give her her baths and take her vital signs, etc. Anyway, one day Alice told the heath care worker that the coffee I made for her had drugs in them. This obviously alarmed the nurse, and later that day they sent the supervisor down to the house to find out what was going on. I told him I have NEVER put drugs in her coffee! I mean, the old lady could be very demanding and hateful sometimes, but I certainly didn't want to drug her. Come to find out, she was saying "dregs" or "drags", not drugs. In other words, sometimes my coffee had drags in them - coffee grounds. But the way she was pronouncing it, it sounded like "drugs" to the nurse. And she was right. Sometimes that automatic coffee maker would "flip" the filter, and fold it over when the water started pouring in it. If this happened, some of the coffee grounds would enter the pot and the coffee would have drags in it.  :P

Drugs in her coffee. Good lord.  ::)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

slipping the ol lady some ruffies! You BAD, David...

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• Love is a force of nature
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2008, 09:04:48 am »
I drink Celestial Seasoning mint tea to calm my stomach in the early eveings usually. I like Earl Grey tea too, but it doesnt have a perfume smell or taste to me.... Later when its getting towards bedtime I drink Sleepy Time tea with extra Valerian Root to help me sleep.  It really works to!  I like my hot tea with honey.   I usually order "sweet" tea when we go out.   Its ice tea with sugar already made and lots of ice.  Yum. oops I mean mmmmm.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2008, 06:48:11 pm »
If you decide to make it Marie, let me know how it turns out, okay? :)

I did make it David - luckily we had lots of sun this weekend. I added some mint leaves and it turned out great!    :)

Marie

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2008, 04:38:13 am »
I am unfamiliar with the lah de dah or effete vibe from drinking tea.  Now high tea where the cream scones are brought on a silver plate are another matter.

I love Early Grey, and I love the smell of bergamot (which is a flower, BTW).  I tend to drink that, or one of a few Traditional Medicinals brand.  Our neighbor next door had a new shed built this week, and invited Mini-Meno and me over for a tiny tea party in the shed, before she starts filling it with lawn mower, etc.  I wanted to make iced mint tea, but found I'd run out, so made "Breathe Easy" tea instead.  It got lots of compliments.  :)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2009, 09:27:31 pm »
Bumping for bump-fest!!  And because tea is a hot topic at the moment here in Polling Place.

If you've voted here before, you're free to change your vote if you feel like it.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2009, 10:37:04 pm »
Same as before, my favourite teas are still Twining's Irish Breakfast Tea and Ceylon Orange Pekoe Tea. I've added a new one since then. I am now very fond of Twining's Traditional Afternoon Tea.  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν