Author Topic: aromas and emotional connections in s.s and life.  (Read 2122 times)

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
aromas and emotional connections in s.s and life.
« on: August 28, 2008, 11:04:16 am »
I was posting elsewhere the other day and two things occurred to me.Proulx in the s.s. uses descriptions of aromas, to great effect, by the association with very powerful physical and emotional situations, particularly with regard to Ennis and Jack.

One example being the odour of Jack, which by its presence or absence for Ennis reveals the emotional turmoil which so tortures him.The reunion scene, describes the "intensely familiar odor of cigarettes, musky sweat and a faint sweetness like grass, and with it the rushing cold of the mountain"

At this point Ennis has discovered that even after an absence of four years, the scent of Jack is completely evocative, transporting him back to BBM.A man who on the surface gives every indication of being emotionally repressed is very much attuned to his senses.At this stage the smells described, momentarily lull the reader into the belief that there may be some future for the two.We are also reminded of the idyll that was the summer of BBM and wonder will it be recaptured.We still have hope.

This is in direct contrast to the scene where Ennis discovers the shirts.He is described as "hoping for the faintest smoke and mountain sage and salty sweet stink of Jack but there was no real scent only the memory of it,the imagined power of Brokeback mountain of which nothing was left but what he held in his hands"

There are many similarities in the scents described in both sections,but just enough differences to highlight the tragic change in circumstance.In the first instance Ennis has not yet really accepted his emotional attachment to Jack, yet we the reader know, despite his inability to articulate it.
The final description is heartbreaking in so many ways.Yet again there is a reminder of BBM and the aroma of Jack', which has now gone completely.
So we have a direct but desperately sad correlation.While the aroma is still present,Ennis is unable to accept his emotions,when even the aroma has gone we finally see acceptance.This to me makes the scene where he discovers the shirts, even more of a body blow.The first thing Ennis does with the shirts is, to inhale hoping to find some remaining essence of Jack.Instead he is left with nothing.

We are transported back to a time when Ennis was intensely aware of the smell of Jack on him, yet unable to admit the accompanying love, and then brought back to the present, by the complete absence of Jack and his aroma, but the realisation and accepting of Ennis's love.

Realising how effectively Proulx uses aromas to connect with emotions,reminded me how true that holds for me in real life. I can catch the faintest whiff on a breeze, of a particular aftershave, perfume, etc and it will always remind me of someone.Some associations are so strong, that it  feels like a personal affront, a slap in the face when my eyes search around looking for that person, only to find it is someone else.

There is one aftershave in particular that can only ever be associated with one person for me.One perfume from childhood, of my mother tucking me in at night.

I thought this might make an interesting topic,where both the description of aromas in the s.s , peoples own personal associations, and their emotional connections could be discussed.

Offline Gabreya

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: aromas and emotional connections in s.s and life.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 11:58:30 pm »
Wow. That's a beautiful connection and signs that you've found, optom.

Yeah, Ennis(and if you don't mind me saying, the audience as well) was trying to find that scent of our beloved Jack. I mean, it's touching and heartbreaking every time I see it. Him smelling the shirts were just a sign of the desperation of searching for his loved one and trying to find the memory...

Damn it, now I'm actually crying about it. Lol! No kidding.

I don't know why but whenever I got see the pictures of Heath on this site, I keep trying to find 'him'. My mind keeps thinking he's not really gone. I just want see him to make sure if he's STILL here.