Author Topic: TOTW 22/08: Do you think they kept each others postcards?  (Read 18816 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Re: TOTW 22/08: Do you think they kept each others postcards?
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2008, 06:18:07 pm »
I voted "no" for both.

Ennis is way too paranoid to risk saving even innocent-sounding postcards from Jack.

Jack saved the shirts, long before any postcards were written.  What more did he need?

In drawing from the story, Annie suggests there are no saved postcards:

He pressed his face into the fabric and breathed in slowly through his mouth and nose, hoping for the faintest smoke and mountain sage and salty sweet stink of Jack but there was no real scent, only the memory of it, the imagined power of Brokeback Mountain of which nothing was left but what he held in his hands.

Plus, Jack had his memory of the dozy embrace; and Ennis, "suffused with a sense of pleasure", had his dreams.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2008, 07:29:49 am »
I voted "no" for both.

Ennis is way too paranoid to risk saving even innocent-sounding postcards from Jack.

Jack saved the shirts, long before any postcards were written.  What more did he need?

He pressed his face into the fabric and breathed in slowly through his mouth and nose, hoping for the faintest smoke and mountain sage and salty sweet stink of Jack but there was no real scent, only the memory of it, the imagined power of Brokeback Mountain of which nothing was left but what he held in his hands.

Plus, Jack had his memory of the dozy embrace; and Ennis, "suffused with a sense of pleasure", had his dreams.

:'(
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2008, 08:48:50 am »

Very intersting, that is a good point. Usually the answer is right there in the source material.  :)
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2008, 10:48:48 am »
Merci, loneleeb3

You say:

Loneleeb3,
may I disagree to a certain point? Ennis at least, is protective, and therefore, I do NOT consider him too paranoid ! A lot or a bit, yes, yes!! He does cope with life... may we note, and to the best of his abilities ?

More later... if you like, may I ask ?

Au revoir,
hugs!