Author Topic: Ten Best Planets in Science Fiction  (Read 5885 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Ten Best Planets in Science Fiction
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 08:00:07 pm »
what was that movie that had the cast of a sci fi show get kidnapped to defend some aliens? Galaxyquest? there was an African American in a red shirt and he was so upset because "Are you kidding? I am Black, I have on a red shirt, there is NO WAY I am gonna survive this!!!"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

only a Trekkie would snort their Coke outta their nose at that one...

That must have been a Saturday Night Live skit.   :laugh:

No, a white actor Sam Rockwell named "Guy" was in GalaxyQuest.  He was a redshirt and Guy spent the entire movie terrified he was going to get killed at any minute.  If that wasn't funny enough, the rest of the characters expected him to as well.   :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Guy Fleegman: I'm not even supposed to be here. I'm just "Crewman Number Six." I'm expendable. I'm the guy in the episode who dies to prove how serious the situation is. I've gotta get outta here.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008, 03:45:54 pm »
I see Kolob didn't make the list.  ;D  ::)

From Wikipedia:

Kolob in popular culture

Some of the elements of the two Battlestar Galactica science-fiction television shows seem to be derived from the Mormon beliefs of its creator and chief producer, Glen A. Larson. In both the original series from 1978, and the 2003 new series, the planet Kobol is the ancient and distant mother world of the entire human race and the planet where life began, and the "Lords of Kobol" are sacred figures to the human race. They are treated as elders or patriarchs in the old series, and versions of the Twelve Olympians in the new series. According to Jana Reiss, author of What Would Buffy Do? [5] "Kobol" as an anagram of "Kolob" is only one of many plot points Larson has borrowed from Mormonism.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2008, 03:50:41 pm »
That's interesting to know, Jeff.  I had no idea BSG had Mormon roots.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2008, 03:57:12 pm »
Is Commander Adama Brigham Young leading a group of followers to a find a new Eden?   I knew there is some Scientology influence in Hollywood, less aware of Mormon influences.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2008, 04:27:10 pm »
That's interesting to know, Jeff.  I had no idea BSG had Mormon roots.  8)

I didn't, either, until I looked up "Kolob."

I was just trying to make a questionably tasteful joke and it turned out to be sort-of germane to the discussion anyway!  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.