Author Topic: Importance of the Jimbo Scene  (Read 47867 times)

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
Re: Importance of the Jimbo Scene
« Reply #130 on: February 08, 2009, 09:17:46 pm »
"You say eether and I say eyether,
You say neether and I say nyther;
Eether, eyether, neether, nyther,
Let's call the whole thing off!
You like potato and I like potahto,
You like tomato and I like tomahto;
Potato, potahto, tomato, tomahto!
Let's call the whole thing off!
But oh! If we call the whole thing off,
Then we must part.
And oh! If we ever part,
Then that might break my heart!
So, if you like pajamas and I like pajahmas,
I'll wear pajamas and give up pajahmas.
For we know we need each other,
So we better call the calling off off.
Let's call the whole thing off!"

thanks George and Ira Gershwin for that bit of wisdom way back in 1937!  :laugh:

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #131 on: February 08, 2009, 09:24:23 pm »
Well said Katie!

You do bring some good points... and may I thank you for that by this last post of yours!
I think that others as well as I do too!! Why not consider other perspectives?

Of course, you can easily say that other points of view are absurd, but that is not researching a subject, it seems to me... may I say, in order to dwell on many issues and not only one issue!!!

One thing you make me think about, gladly, which I had not realized before (and do think about now thanks to you) is that the Jimbo scene is a [b]hinge[/b] one. May I add that it is, and also more than ONE hinges!!

The Jimbo scene is also INGERANCE French word; since I do not know the English word for that, maybe you do? Or someone here does? De tell please.

There are MANY, MANY horrible things that happens in the Jimbo scene; not that it is NOT only one bad happening; the dynamics are influencial, as the event, by extension, show possible murderers of JACK? IT COULD VERY WELL BE, THAT THAT WAS THE AIM OF LEE? AND/OR BY ALSO THE SCREEN WRITER(S) ??

It is easy to describe like you do, and am happy with that, but can not at all limit myself to that! Because, unfortunately, the Brokeback Mountain movie is a drama, it contains numerous dramas, and not ONLY the lack and/or love between Ennis and Jack, and other forms of love (as you outlines a bit)!!

There are UNDERLYING conflicts in this movie, you can think about?

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #132 on: February 08, 2009, 09:33:03 pm »
I think there's always that risk that we over interpret some scenes, in that we think that they mean more than they really do.
But this wouldn't exactly be the first time, I seem to recall discussions about bread and such.... ;D

But it's always interesting to just have fun with it and to throw different ideas out there and see what happens.

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #133 on: February 08, 2009, 09:36:53 pm »
Everybody is entitled to their opinions on here, and from what I can see, everyone does.

And.... there are many scenes in the movie and the story that have been discussed, just like this one, and people's opinions are different from others.

And....there have been replies to posts from people with different opinions, quite openly disputing how someone came to a certain opinion.

If we tagged everyone who did not agree with someone else's opinion as "attacking forum members", then half of this forum would be obliterated.

Bettermost is a group of people from all walks of life, all different personalities and beliefs, and most of the opinions that people put in here, are based on their own personal views and morality.

It is clearly shown in most posts, how people interpret things the broad spectrum of people on here.

It is not my intent to change peoples opinion, but it doesnt stop me from wondering how they came to that opinion.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Artiste

« Reply #134 on: February 08, 2009, 09:38:13 pm »
Buffy, isn't there also the risk to skate easily on such a scene? And miss many things about it?

Offline Artiste

« Reply #135 on: February 08, 2009, 09:49:10 pm »
Merci Katie!

Openness and courage of opinion are important!!

Thanks for your delightful post!

You say:
        It is not my intent to change peoples opinion, but it doesn't stop me from wondering how they came to that opinion.         

Indeed there is no need to change somebody else's opnion, like you have yours about this Jimbo scene! That is good! Surely you added to it too, as this thread evolved. I was not accepted when I mentioned maybe pederastic is that scene and/or worst anti-gay it is, and now I am happy that my opinion or proofs might help myself and maybe others too !!

I am glad that you add that you WONDER how opinions came about; that inquisitiveness always helps a person; and society gets better because of it, I say!

I aim still to dwell about that Jimbo scene and you and others have added to it, which I like and which I envisage much more from you and from others, as well as from  myself!

This way, maybe you would have added it or deleted this Jimbo scene had you been Lee? - may I ask you and all ??

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #136 on: February 08, 2009, 09:51:43 pm »
Buffy, isn't there also the risk to skate easily on such a scene? And miss many things about it?
Sure, that can be the case

Offline Artiste

« Reply #137 on: February 08, 2009, 09:58:52 pm »
Merci buffy!

I skated easily at first, that Jimbo scene... unfortunately!

And now I see more about it! Do you?

I would also relate it to other scenes?
(I am happy that Katie somehow suggested that in a way - related scenes to it!)

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #138 on: February 08, 2009, 10:21:34 pm »
To insinuate that in the middle of this movie, Ang would add unnessary and perverted metaphorical conversation, which would only be recognised by people with likewise thoughts, is absurd...absolutely absurd.

In my three-plus years as a Brokie here and at imdb, I have quite often seen people theorize that the bartender was suggesting Jack look for younger guys.

It's a bit implausible to me, because it would seem like an odd thing for a bartender to recommend. But not entirely out of the realm of possibility. Jack had trouble with bulls (the real bull, plus the figurative bull, Jimbo), and might do better with calves -- that is, younger bulls, younger guys. Also, since the bartender was a pretty close witness to Jack's flirtation with Jimbo, he would likely be clued into Jack's interest in males in general.

I think Jack gets angry about the rejection but also feels threatens by the guys around the pool table, and bolts from the room so as to avoid any potential trouble. He's angry at the bartender either simply because he's embarrassed the bartender witnessed his strike out with Jimbo, or because he interprets the bartender to be referring to young guys and resents it because he's not interested in pedophilia.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #139 on: February 08, 2009, 10:33:27 pm »
Merci beacoup serious!

Your post is indeed revealing much.

Of course about pedophilia, no one wants to talk about that!

And there seems to be absolutely no interest in Jack to like much younger guys than he is (or pedophilia even),
and maybe that is why that JUMBO scene exist (among other reasons);
so Lee and/or the screen writer(s) wanted to show that homosexuals are NOT pedophiles!
Could that be ONE reason for the JIMBO scene?

(Considering that many cultures or persons still consider homosexuals (gay men) as ONLY being perverts or pedophiles??)