Author Topic: Importance of the Jimbo Scene  (Read 47871 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Importance of the Jimbo Scene
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2008, 03:30:21 pm »
Was this excellent post deleted?

Our Brokeback Mountain: The Story, Movie, Author, Actors and Its Impact / Brokeback Mountain: Open Forum / Re: Importance of the Jimbo Scene  on: Today at 09:49:44 AM 
Quote from: atz75 on August 21, 2008, 08:30:43 PM
I think there's so much suggestiveness and tension in the way that Jack looks at Jimbo, and even the way that Jimbo looks back that there's serious flirting going on, at least from Jack's side.

Jack's going through all the classic motions of picking someone up... finding an entree or pick-up line and then the cliche of buying a drink.  As a scene in the film, I personally really do think it's meant to demonstrate the frustrations Jack encounters when trying to find a male partner prior to the reunion.

This scene kind of flashed by when I first saw the movie, but in multiple viewings I'm impressed with how subtle Jake's performance is there.  It's so believable for the situation: a gay man in a Texas cowboy bar in the mid-1960s trying to scope out another guy without putting himself in danger.  On the surface, there's nothing Jack says or does that's even ambiguous.  But after his remark that Jimbo is the best rodeo clown he's worked with, he pauses, his smile widens just a little and his eyes narrow just a little. 

Jack might very well leave right afterward not only out of embarrassment but also out of a sense of danger when Jimbo goes over to the pool table and starts talking with the other guys.  However, the fact that Jack hasn't done or said anything specific might very well be the reason that he's able to leave safely -- Jimbo might suspect that this guy at the bar was trying to pick him up but Jack doesn't give him any more ammunition than that.

Interesting, the disconnect between that scene and what's in the screenplay -- Jimbo doesn't sit down at any table; he goes over and talks to a group of men playing pool.

It was by: Marge_Innavera !

Marge's post is still here.  It's only one post prior to one of your last posts Artiste.  It's reply #57 to this thread.  Here's a link to the specific post http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,22186.msg398002.html#msg398002.  And, I'll quote it here for you.

This scene kind of flashed by when I first saw the movie, but in multiple viewings I'm impressed with how subtle Jake's performance is there.  It's so believable for the situation: a gay man in a Texas cowboy bar in the mid-1960s trying to scope out another guy without putting himself in danger.  On the surface, there's nothing Jack says or does that's even ambiguous.  But after his remark that Jimbo is the best rodeo clown he's worked with, he pauses, his smile widens just a little and his eyes narrow just a little. 

Jack might very well leave right afterward not only out of embarrassment but also out of a sense of danger when Jimbo goes over to the pool table and starts talking with the other guys.  However, the fact that Jack hasn't done or said anything specific might very well be the reason that he's able to leave safely -- Jimbo might suspect that this guy at the bar was trying to pick him up but Jack doesn't give him any more ammunition than that.

Interesting, the disconnect between that scene and what's in the screenplay -- Jimbo doesn't sit down at any table; he goes over and talks to a group of men playing pool.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Artiste

« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2008, 10:07:14 pm »
Atz, Marge_Innavera's post  was not showing up, nor now, why ?

It does only when I added it and when you did too as 2 posts!!

Do you know?

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2008, 01:39:43 pm »
Atz, Marge_Innavera's post  was not showing up, nor now, why ?

It does only when I added it and when you did too as 2 posts!!

Do you know?

Like Amanda(atz75) already said: it has never been deleated, not at any given time. It is still there and has been there all the time. When it didn't show up for you, you either had problems with your computer, or you simply overlooked it. This should clarify the situation about Marge_Innavera's post and we don't need to discuss it any longer.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2008, 04:26:11 pm »
It is still not on here !

Does anyone else does not see it?

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2008, 05:20:32 pm »
It is still not on here !

Does anyone else does not see it?

Artiste it is still there. It is post number 57. I have just double checked and seen it with my own eyes.
You must have a glitch somewhere.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2008, 08:36:35 pm »
Merci optom, I am glad that you can see it, and maybe likely others too, while I remain not seeing it!

It is good to get your communications and those of others too!!

Au revoir,
hugs!                          P.S. Am glad too that the next Olympics will be in London in 2012 ! Did you know?
Maybe you will bring some copies of the postcards that Ennis and Jack had to there, considering how important they can bring World Peace and Love among Men and Ladies !! ?

Offline Artiste

« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2008, 11:46:52 am »
As said:
           Jack might very well leave right afterward not only out of embarrassment but also out of a sense of danger when Jimbo goes over to the pool table and starts talking with the other guys.                 

Doesn't that indicate that Jimbo is dangerous ?

I still ask myself that question!

What do you think?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2008, 03:34:20 pm »
The bottom line in this scene is that no bad thing happened to Jack other than him being slighted and that may have been his imagination. In the movie, the camera follows Jimbo as he goes over to his buddies, and they do not even look over in Jack's direction. All fears and threats are imperceptible and under the surface. We never really know if Jack was in danger after he left that roadhouse or not.

As for the bartender's question, "Ever tried calf-roping?" it may have been just a suggestion to help Jack get in with the in-crowd, or it may have been an allusion to him to stick with pursuing the females of the species. We never really know.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2008, 03:56:42 pm »
Merci Front-Ranger !

May I disagree with your two points in your post!

To me, that ( Jimbo scene) starts the fear within Jack !

Plus much more.

Danger of one's reputation started by Jimbo about Jack being gay, doesn't count?

Plus, the bartendar wants Jack to be a pedophile... is that it ?

There are many dangers in the Brokeback movie... enumerated to show that gay men are or can be in danger often, and that is what I see in this film !

Au revoir,
hugs!  I still talk to gay guys who have seen the film disliking it greatly refusing to see it twice, or refuse to watch it a first time, since they fear somehow that underline stories about it that gays are to be hurt or killed as one local politician said lately in a school and elsewhere, did you hear! Keep care !

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2008, 07:31:34 pm »
Yes, I agree with you about the presence of fear and the need for fear and caution due to the lingering prevalence of hatred and homophobia in our society. And I do not doubt that Jack inevitably met his end due to prejudice and irrational hatred. Although there is even ambiguity about this...was the killing of Jack just a figment of Ennis' imagination? We do not know. It never says for sure. We are left to make our own conclusions based on our prejudices, beliefs and outlook of the world and people's natures.

Getting back to Jimbo however, there is another reason for the rodeo clown scene. In classic stories of all kinds, the figure of the clown often appears. On one level, the clown is seen as an escape from the serious side of life, but on another level, the clown is a symbol of randomness and chaos. The clown can even be menacing, because through one misstep, your life can be taken away and life goes on without you, uncaring, unknowing. The fool or the clown is a fixture of Greek tragedies, Fellini movies, as well as Batman movies. There is a double dose of clowns in The Dark Knight, since the movie begins with the Joker in a clown mask leading a bank heist. The director, Chistopher Nolan, is one of the most existential auteurs directing today, so this movie is revealing of our culture.

Another representation of the clown is the Devil, who appears in a couple of Annie Proulx's latest stories in her collection Fine Just the Way it Is.
"chewing gum and duct tape"