Author Topic: Anne Anne Anne!  (Read 328998 times)

Offline MilAn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Anne Anne Anne!
« Reply #530 on: January 22, 2009, 04:44:04 pm »
Congrats on the Oscar nod Anne! :)

Offline Love

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Jack,I Swear...
    • Brokeback Mountain
« Reply #531 on: January 26, 2009, 02:34:50 pm »
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 11:38:03 am by Love »
Sometimes I miss you so much,I can hardly stand it

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #532 on: January 26, 2009, 10:01:40 pm »

That's such a beautiful picture of Anne! I thought her dress last night was gorgeous.  It wasn't my absolute favorite hairstyle on her... but this particular pic is really great!

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Love

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Jack,I Swear...
    • Brokeback Mountain
« Reply #533 on: January 29, 2009, 11:37:11 am »

Magnifique

fan art

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #534 on: February 03, 2009, 12:14:11 pm »

http://www.slate.com/id/2210164/

SLATE/HOME/the oscars: All about the Academy Awards.

The Canniest Starlet
in Hollywood

It Girl(s)
The three sides of Anne Hathaway.

By Dana Stevens
Posted Friday, Jan. 30, 2009, at 6:46 PM ET

If Anne Hathaway wins the best actress Oscar next month for her role as a recovering drug addict in Rachel Getting Married,  it will be a big upset: Popular wisdom is divided between Meryl Streep for Doubt  and Kate Winslet for The Reader,  and it's heavily weighted toward Winslet (though Hathaway did recently tie with Streep for a Critic's Choice award). But Hathaway has already bested her fellow nominees in at least one category: She is the canniest image-manager currently working in Hollywood.

The recent news that Hathaway will voice a character on a two-part Simpsons episode cinched my theory that the woman is the Itzhak Perlman of popular opinion. She will play Krusty the Clown's girlfriend, who testifies on his behalf after the corrupt clown is accused of a crime. The role, of course, is designed to mock Hathaway's much-publicized breakup with Italian financier Raffaello Follieri, who was arrested in June on 14 counts of fraud, conspiracy, and money laundering. When she hosted Saturday Night Live  in October, Hathaway opened the show by poking fun at her own naivete, boasting that her new boyfriend was a Nigerian prince who'd sent her an unsolicited e-mail requesting her Social Security number: "How sweet is that?" Both the Simpsons role and the SNL monologue share a sly, have-it-both-ways approach to Hathaway's image burnishing: She makes fun of her own gullibility while reminding audiences that she's clever enough to know her ex played her for a fool.

In the half-year since the Follieri scandal, Hathaway has managed to become a staple of tabloid news without ever seeming lowered by it. In July, W  praised Hathaway for getting her "chic revenge." In August, she began appearing as the spokesmodel for a new Lancôme fragrance, Magnifique (Lancôme being the endorsement gig for high-class actresses; past spokesfaces have included Isabella Rossellini, Uma Thurman, Juliette Binoche, and Kate Winslet). And the three major Hathaway films that have come out since mid-2008—Get Smart, Rachel Getting Married,  and Bride Wars—have each highlighted a different part of her public persona.

There's a) the naive, adorable princess in need of protection; b) the sophisticated fashion plate, a post-transformation Eliza Doolittle; and c) the fun-loving tomboy who's just one of the guys. Hathaway's best roles combine two or more of these types: In The Devil Wears Prada  and The Princess Diaries,  she morphs from insecure but lovable A into elegant and self-confident B. Get Smart  is a combination of types B and C, with Hathaway outspying and outshooting everyone in sight and looking like Diana Rigg all the while. The unfortunate Bride Wars   combines the worst aspects of the B and C personae: Hathaway's stylishness becomes a shallow obsession with clothes, and her tomboyish feistiness descends into mean-girl bitchery. (Amazingly, Hathaway has risen above the awful press accorded to this widely loathed movie, currently ranked at 14 percent on RottenTomatoes.com.) And Rachel Getting Married,  her most challenging role to date, brings together all three Annes in the person of Kym, a vulnerable, foul-mouthed, chain-smoking ex-junkie who, even on break from hard-core rehab, manages to look and dress like Edie Sedgwick.

Hathaway's public appearances seem carefully orchestrated to alternate among these three roles. Type A, the damsel in distress, was much in evidence at the Critics' Choice awards early this month, where Hathaway thanked her father, saying "he protects me and has shown me that there are good men in this world and lets me know every day that I am worthy of the love of good people." On the one hand: Aww. On the other: Nicely done. In one sentence, she discreetly reminded us of the past year's woes, implied that she's moved on to better things (suck it, Raffaello!), and looked very sweet and filial in the bargain. The very next night, Hathaway C—just-one-of-the-guys Annie—was flinging double entendres on the Jimmy Kimmel show. (Naughty Annie also had a memorable exchange with Frank Langella on a recent Newsweek  Oscar panel.) And Hathaway B, the impeccably turned-out clotheshorse, rears her head every time another fashion column praises her tasteful-yet-whimsical choices on the red carpet. (There are exceptions: The ever-honest Fug Girls, who generally admire Hathaway's style, compared one recent getup to "a series of high-end bathmats sewn together.")

What does all this image-management savvy have to do with Hathaway's skill as an actress? That's the thing: Hathaway is so smart about choosing roles, promoting them, and winning our sympathy off-screen that it's sort of hard to tell how gifted an actor she really is. Rachel Getting Married  is certainly the furthest she's stretched yet, and she's very winning in a role that could easily have been overplayed. But I'd argue that the movie's power derives mainly from its ensemble cast and Jonathan Demme's nimble, roving hand-held camera. Next year, Hathaway will play an ambivalent bride-to-be in The Fiance  (sounds like a princessy A role) and the White Queen in Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland.  (With that director, it's bound to be an elaborately costumed B.) I'd love to see her take on something, anything, completely outside the Hathaway canon: a schlumpily dressed, unprincesslike, unfeisty schmo. (Wait, she could play me!)

As OK!  magazine clucked approvingly in an item on Hathaway's recent double date with new boyfriend Adam Shulman and John Krasinski and Emily Blunt, Hathaway's Devil Wears Prada  co-star, a good time on the town is "something the brunette beauty definitely deserves after her recent heartbreak over ex Raffaello Follieri." I couldn't agree more: another round of tapas for all! But I'm not sure Hathaway's lousy romantic luck in 2008, or her admirable gift for earning our goodwill, should be enough to earn her an Oscar.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 07:16:04 pm by jmmgallagher »
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #535 on: February 03, 2009, 02:41:06 pm »
That's a great article, thanks John.  8)

I was curious and googled the Newsweek Oscar panel.  Here's the link:

http://www.newsweek.com/id/180867

It's a series of nine 6-7 minute videos of a roundtable discussion with Anne, Frank Langella, Mickey Rourke, Robert Downey, Jr., Brad Pitt and Sally Hawkins.  I think the exchange with Anne and Frank that they're talking about is in the one titled "I've been trustworty almost 1500 days."  You'll see why.  ;)

The whole series is well worth watching!  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #536 on: February 03, 2009, 08:40:51 pm »

That's a great article, thanks John.  8)
I was curious and googled the Newsweek Oscar panel.  Here's the link:
http://www.newsweek.com/id/180867

It's a series of nine 6-7 minute videos of a roundtable discussion with Anne, Frank Langella, Mickey Rourke, Robert Downey, Jr., Brad Pitt and Sally Hawkins.  I think the exchange with Anne and Frank that they're talking about is in the one titled "I've been trustworty almost 1500 days."  You'll see why.  ;)
The whole series is well worth watching!  8)

Meryl, it's amazing,  thank you!

The full roundtable is about an hour, and it is so worthwhile. (The actors' comments about Obama and the election, and Anne's anecdote in particular, well--just go.)

The internet is a wonderful, wonderful thing.

"Camping Out"

Offline Love

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Jack,I Swear...
    • Brokeback Mountain
« Reply #537 on: February 05, 2009, 04:27:48 pm »

Offline Love

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Jack,I Swear...
    • Brokeback Mountain
« Reply #538 on: February 08, 2009, 08:40:54 pm »

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #539 on: February 12, 2009, 06:34:20 pm »

Also posted in the BetterMost 'Culture Tent' thread http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,32102.msg477053.html#msg477053

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/02/12/anne-hathaway-to-star-in-shakespeare-in-the-parks-twelfth-night/?ref=theater?8dpc

February 12, 2009, 11:22 am
Anne Hathaway to Star in Shakespeare in the Park’s
‘Twelfth Night’

By Dave Itzkoff

This Anne Hathaway — not the one who was married to the playwright — will star in Shakespeare in the Park’s production of
“Twelfth Night.”

She’s not the first Anne Hathaway linked to Shakespeare — when you last saw this one in Central Park she was most likely racing to complete an errand for the tyrannical Miranda Priestly in “The Devil Wears Prada.”  But this summer, you’ll be able to see Ms. Hathaway in the Shakespeare in the Park production of “Twelfth Night,”  in which she will play Viola, the Public Theater said in a news release. The play, directed by Daniel Sullivan, will run from June 9 through July 12 at the Delacorte Theater. The season’s second production will be Euripides’ “The Bacchae,”  directed by JoAnne Akalaitis and featuring music by Philip Glass.

"Camping Out"