Author Topic: What would you honestly do for $10 million  (Read 11370 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
What would you honestly do for $10 million
« on: August 25, 2008, 08:42:39 am »
This is a poll taken from the book, "The Day America Told The Truth" by James Patterson & Peter Kim, published in 1991.

It was featured on an episode of "The Oprah Winfrey Show", and after watching it, I went out and got the book.

Very intersting read at the time.  I'm sure by now the figures are out of date.

Vote for your answers, post about  your answers, and if it goes well, I'll do some of the other surveys from the book!  Since it's possible for people to be willing to do all 10 options, you are free to vote for all the options.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: What would you honestly do for $10 million
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 08:45:20 am »
as you can see, I'm the first voter.

:laugh:

I have no strong ties to a church, so abandoning my church would not be a problem.  Besides, it says abandon your CHURCH, not your RELIGION, so you an always find another church in the religion of your choice.

as for prostitution, this may sound strange, but I don't see anything wrong with it.  I mean, why is it ok to have sex for free, but wrong to charge money for it?

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 09:20:57 am »
I would become a prostitute for a green card never mind 10 million, give up church,never started with that.I wouldn't have a problem with a race change either. I would not kill or abandon my family for any sum, or put my kids up for adoption.
It reminds me of the age old which would you rather lose, sight or hearing. For me it would be sight, could not cope without my music.
I would leave my spouse, get the 10 million, buy myself an American husband, get green card, then go back to husband, after having given new husband most of  the 10 million.
Would divorce new husband, get green cards for my kids and then when the oldest could, would get him to sponsor his father's green card. Just in case of any suspicion I would keep some of the money to buy a second house where I would allegedly live incase of suspicion.Meanwhile I would of course be back with husband.
If you think that's complicated you should hear some of my other schemes for a green card.

Offline dejavu

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 10:02:51 am »
That scheme for a green card does sound complicated.    :laugh:

I wouldn't have a problem with abandoning my church either.  Likewise for changing my race.  I'd consider changing my gender, if it was a painless and instantaneous process.

I can't disagree with the logic that sex for money isn't wrong, but I wouldn't be comfortable with sex with strangers, so I couldn't become a prostitute for a week. 

I'm not married and don't have children, but if I were and if I did, I wouldn't abandon my spouse or my children or my whole family because people are more important to me than any amount of money.  Likewise, my American citizenship makes me feel safe, so I wouldn't give that up.  And no, I wouldn't kill a stranger for money.

It would be tempting and fairly painless to withhold testimony, but letting a murderer go free could cause such bad consequences to someone else that I'd have to resist that temptation.  Of all the choices here, that may be the decision that requires the most thought about ethics and morals, because the murderer's next victim would probably be someone unknown to me.

Jack's from Texas.
Texans don't drink coffee?

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 02:24:27 pm »
I would do four outta ten..

my american citizenship since I have none, race, church (Like Fiona not an issue for me) and probably even prostitution for a week... hell with even a little of that $10million I could get a lot of vulnerable people outta that trade.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Dobie1018

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 03:10:47 pm »
Since I don't really have a church right now, I find that's something I could abandon.  Also I could change my race.  I am very fair-skinned and I burn and freckle easily.  I always wished I had a little bit darker skin.   I don't have kids so that one doesn't apply to me, but if I had them, I would never be able to give them up.   I don't think I could do any of the other things. 

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 03:39:23 pm »
I don't think I would do any of them. Sooner or later the money would either be gone, or assuming I had invested it wisely, grow tired of it. And yet, I would still be stuck with the bad decisions I had made in order to get the money.  :-\

I have read some real horror stories about people suddenly becoming rich. Many of them say they are LESS happy now than they were before becoming wealthy. Money often brings along some unexpected problems that many are not prepared to deal with.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 04:03:17 pm »
Create jobs: as many as possible, honestly!

But can that be added too?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 12:27:19 am »
There are some things I'd do for 10 million dollars for sure, but none on that list.  And I really need some money!  :P
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 08:30:31 am »
There are some things I'd do for 10 million dollars for sure, but none on that list.  And I really need some money!  :P
I'm withyou Shasta!
I REALLY need the money but none of those things on the list I would do for any amount.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"