Author Topic: TOTW 23/08: Jack, his mother and The Shirts  (Read 23370 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
TOTW 23/08: Jack, his mother and The Shirts
« on: August 25, 2008, 12:49:57 pm »
Happy Monday, BetterMostians :)
(ok, ok, who do I want to kid? There is no such thing like a happy Monday. But we'll try to make the best of it, don't we?)

This week's topic was inspired by our resident Katie77 (Sue). I'll let her make the introduction of the topic by quoting a post of her:

"No......I dont think they would have
[kept each others postcards], because men dont usually save things like that. Even with the shirts, as wonderful as that was, it was quite a bit out of the ordinary for a man to be so sentimental as to keep those shirts.  In fact, I dont think this has ever been discussed, but I wonder when Jack went back to his folks place after sheepherding on Brokeback, did his mother get his clothes out to wash and  ask about the blood on the shirt, and Jack maybe told her about Ennis, and it was her who hung the shirts in the closet........(maybe thats another thing that could be discussed here)."
Source: http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,22182.msg396677.html#msg396677

What do you think? Did Jack talk to his mother about The Shirts? If so, what might he have said? Maybe he simply asked her not to wash them, without delivering any explanation? Maybe he didn't say anything at all, but hid The Shirts before she could get hold of his laundry?

Over the years, it has somehow become common assumption that Mrs. Twist knew about The Shirts at the point Ennis visits the Twist farm. Even more so, that she connected Ennis with The Shirts and knew pretty precise what went on.
If you agree with that assumption, when do you think she gained knowledge of The Shirts? Early on, directly from Jack (see above paragraph), some time along the years, after Jack's death, or something entirely different?

The Shirts were hidden in Jack's closet, but it was her house, she lived there, without much distraction in her life. And she kept his room like it was when he was a boy, she made a point of that.

Share your POV about

Jack, his mother and The Shirts

retropian

Re: TOTW 23/08: Jack, his mother and The Shirts
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 07:22:01 pm »
I think Jack hid the shirts without telling his Mom, or anybody. He certainly never told Ennis. No doubt his Mom discovered them and came to understand their significance at some point. Presumably, Jack would visit his parents after his time with Ennis, his "Fishing Buddy" once or twice a year. We know he mentioned Ennis to them over the years and I think she connected the dots. She was probably puzzled as to why her son would layer two bloodied shirts in that way and tuck them away discreetly in the back of his closet. She would know they have a special meaning to him, but what? I don't think it would have taken her too long to figure it out. A mother knows.

Also, it is clear during Ennis's visit that she knows who Ennis is and what he meant to Jack. She loves him because her son loved him. She loves him because he was the One who loved her son. I think they acknowledge each other as they put the shirts in the paper bag. Ennis came out to her.

injest

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 11:04:50 pm »
I think Jack hid the shirts without telling his Mom, or anybody. He certainly never told Ennis. No doubt his Mom discovered them and came to understand their significance at some point. Presumably, Jack would visit his parents after his time with Ennis, his "Fishing Buddy" once or twice a year. We know he mentioned Ennis to them over the years and I think she connected the dots. She was probably puzzled as to why her son would layer two bloodied shirts in that way and tuck them away discreetly in the back of his closet. She would know they have a special meaning to him, but what? I don't think it would have taken her too long to figure it out. A mother knows.

Also, it is clear during Ennis's visit that she knows who Ennis is and what he meant to Jack. She loves him because her son loved him. She loves him because he was the One who loved her son. I think they acknowledge each other as they put the shirts in the paper bag. Ennis came out to her.

I am sure she did. I know I have found things in my son's room that are obviously private....you have to respect that privacy. Denial is a form of protection sometimes. Covers for things you can't/shouldn't talk about.

But she would have put two and two together..the shirts appeared after that summer. Ennis also appeared, in her son's conversation. I can't imagine Jack would have ever said a word bad about Ennis...so "like the horse thief that can't help flashing a glimpse of the bridle" his tone, his demeanor would have given him away to his mother.

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 11:52:58 pm »
I think she found them,after all there was not much else in his room.I suspect that Jack talked about Ennis and she would have known one shirt was her sons and probably put 2 and 2 together and worked out who the other shirt belonged to.
When Ennis comes down with them she shows no surprise at all,quite the opposite she goes to get him a bag to put them in.
I do wonder what she thought about the blood stains.Did she ever worry  initially that her son had made an advance to someone and received a bloodied nose.
As a mom myself I would not have worried about the shirts,I would have been concerned about the blood.
Maybe on one of Jacks visits home she asked about the shirts and that is why when Ennis came down, she knew exactly what he had in his hands and what he wanted to do.

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 01:18:38 am »

Also, it is clear during Ennis's visit that she knows who Ennis is and what he meant to Jack. She loves him because her son loved him. She loves him because he was the One who loved her son. I think they acknowledge each other as they put the shirts in the paper bag ]Ennis came out to her.

Yes, the little nod to Jack's mum as he she gave him the paper bag, was the first time in Ennis's life that he was acknowledging his love for Jack, to someone else. He knew she knew, and I think he was glad she did.

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 09:43:02 am »
I was always fascinated by the stark difference between Jack's folks.  Here is maybe the first time Ennis drives so far to go visit someone, and what he is greeted by is a warm, patient, understanding, seemingly all-knowing and kind woman, and a cold-as-ice, angry, spiteful, inconsiderate shell of a man.  I cannot imagine how shocked he would have been when he sat down at that table.  Those two actors were spectacular in their brief performances. 

To get back to topic, I think Jack left those shirts there like that, in the back of his closet, wanting his mother to find them.  We never hear him say one harsh word about his mother, although we all know what he thought of his dad -- "never taught me a thing, never once came to see me ride", "can't please my old man no way", etc.  So we know that he loves his mom and appreciates her all his life.  But I wouldn't presume that a western, out-in-the-middle-of-nowhere farm wife during the 60's and 70's would have heard a whole lot about homosexuality, though.  Which makes me question if she really, truly knew that Ennis was Jack's lover, or if she just thought that he was just his great, close friend all those years?
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline optom3

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 10:27:19 am »
I was always fascinated by the stark difference between Jack's folks.  Here is maybe the first time Ennis drives so far to go visit someone, and what he is greeted by is a warm, patient, understanding, seemingly all-knowing and kind woman, and a cold-as-ice, angry, spiteful, inconsiderate shell of a man.  I cannot imagine how shocked he would have been when he sat down at that table.  Those two actors were spectacular in their brief performances. 

To get back to topic, I think Jack left those shirts there like that, in the back of his closet, wanting his mother to find them.  We never hear him say one harsh word about his mother, although we all know what he thought of his dad -- "never taught me a thing, never once came to see me ride", "can't please my old man no way", etc.  So we know that he loves his mom and appreciates her all his life.  But I wouldn't presume that a western, out-in-the-middle-of-nowhere farm wife during the 60's and 70's would have heard a whole lot about homosexuality, though.  Which makes me question if she really, truly knew that Ennis was Jack's lover, or if she just thought that he was just his great, close friend all those years?

I think mothers always know, deep down.She may not have understood it, in fact her only reference point may have been the bible, with the much quoted, and man shall not lie down with man.I used to get so fed up of hearing that, by the radical religious groups around the time of BBM.In fact the best reply I ever heard was, that's O.K I have sex standing up !!
I digress, I know it's a more modern age,for some people, but I still think a mother knows.I remember I used to say to my patients,if the mother is worried then so am I. If mum was not worried then usually things were just fine.
I knew all the time my oldest had big problems, everyone else just laughed at me,or told me how intelligent he was.Well yes he is, but he is also deeply disturbed.It has taken me from age 2 to nearly 15 to finally get a diagnosis and treatment.
My son was floored that I knew the very time he first had sex.My husband thought I was an idiot.But turns out I was right.Sorry that sounds arrogant,I just feel for a mother who has a deep love for her child, they know pretty well everything.

The love Jacks mother has for him is so plain to see, it is almost too painful to watch.She instantly knows what Ennis has in his hands.No words necessary, just a look and the bag.

How ironic that we first see Ennis with a bag in hand containing pretty much all he has in the world.He has it all before him.Closed and as yet not experienced in love.Then full circle, Ennis with a bag, but this time it contains all that was important to him, all that is left of Jack and his life.
From one brown bag to another, but OMG what a journey between the two.The first bag symbolically is a reference to the lack of worldly goods, Ennis has.The second bag, still has no worldly goods, but it is now filled with love. Very sad.He clutches both of them tightly.
The first, not that he knows it, is a portent of all that is before him,the second, all that is behind him.
Well that's me completely in bits again.

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 12:52:46 pm »
First of all I had never thought about Ennis with the paper bag at the beginning with all of his possessions and the paper bag towards the end with the shirts. Good observation Optom!!! I also agree with you Optom that mothers do know. My mother certainly did way before I would have even been able to express it or even know what it was. She told me that she did so I know for sure. It came as no surprise to her at all. I asked her how and she said just that the mothers just know these kinds of things.

I definitely think that Jack was responsible for everything to do with the shirts. He would have to be. After all he is the one who found it so important to take Ennis' from the mountain. I would not be surprised at all if he talked to his mother about Ennis. I think they had a very close relationship and I think his mother knew of Jack's intense love for Ennis. I believe his father knew too although he didn't accept it at all. After all he knew who Ennis Del Mar was and I thought it was apparent that he knew that Ennis was much more than a friend to Jack.

Jack was a romantic and very sensitive. I don't think he had that much difficulty in expressing his feelings and I think he had expressed them to his mother. Jack was not confused about his feelings. It was Ennis who was confused. Jack would have dropped everything in his life for Ennis and would have never looked back. He was not worried about what people would think of two men living together. I think his mother knew about the shirts and I think she meant for Ennis to find them. That is one reason she asked Ennis if he wanted to go up to Jack's room. She was happy that Ennis did find and bring the shirts down. That was apparent by the look she gave Ennis. That somehow sealed the love she knew Jack always had for Ennis.

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 02:41:43 pm »
The love Jacks mother has for him is so plain to see, it is almost too painful to watch.She instantly knows what Ennis has in his hands.No words necessary, just a look and the bag.

How ironic that we first see Ennis with a bag in hand containing pretty much all he has in the world.He has it all before him.Closed and as yet not experienced in love.Then full circle, Ennis with a bag, but this time it contains all that was important to him, all that is left of Jack and his life.
From one brown bag to another, but OMG what a journey between the two.The first bag symbolically is a reference to the lack of worldly goods, Ennis has.The second bag, still has no worldly goods, but it is now filled with love. Very sad.He clutches both of them tightly.
The first, not that he knows it, is a portent of all that is before him,the second, all that is behind him.
Well that's me completely in bits again.

Fiona, once again, you've given me goosebumps with your words and perceptions.  How do you do that to me so easily???  You really ought to write a book or something; I'd be first in line to buy it  ;)

There are some parts of BBM that no one could possibly sway my opinion on, and then there are parts like the scene with the shirts, where I've always waffled and wondered what it really meant.  I think it was huge that that was the first scene where the camera pans to the perspective of the object Ennis is about to find, looking out at Ennis, rather than honing in on the actors/action.  I knew right then that there was going to be a gigantic revelation.  And the more I read yours and other's words on this thread, I'm more convinced that that revelation came of how much Ennis was loved, and Jack was loved in return, comes full-circle, finally after 20 years, in the span of about two minutes.  Next time I watch it this week, I'll think of that scene from your eyes, thank you.

On a sidebar, I've read a lot of stuff about mother's intuitions and their innate protectiveness of their children.  Not being a mom, I wouldn't know.  Watching my poor mom being shuttled between the nursing home and the hospital lately, dying of 6 kinds of cancer -- I wish I could ask her what she knew about me that I never spoke out loud.  But maybe it's best I don't know, cause I haven't exactly been the least naughty of girls in my life.  Perhaps I should just let her rest, never knowing for sure....
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 03:13:38 pm »
Yes, there are many great "bookends" in the story, and the paper bags are probably my favorite!  I'm not convinced one way or another if Jack and his mom actually spoke about his relationship with Ennis, but I agree that it's clear Mrs. Twist knew about the shirts; and, therefore, what Jack and Ennis meant to each other, and that she wanted Ennis to find and keep them.

For me, one of the cornerstones of the story is the idea that Jack not only took Ennis's shirt but that he himself put one inside the other and hid them in the closet:  stolen by Jack and hidden here inside Jack’s own shirt, the pair like two skins, one inside the other, two in one.  I don't think he could ever have expected that Ennis would find them one day, but yet what a tragic irony that, after Jack's death, those shirts he hid would  finally lead to Ennis's true understanding of their love.  And, of course, Heath's own touch of reversing the shirts adds to the impact of their symbolism.   IMO, Ennis finding the shirts is one of the greatest moments in literary and film history.

Marie

The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain