Author Topic: Now It's Too Darned Hot...  (Read 13377 times)

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
Now It's Too Darned Hot...
« on: May 31, 2006, 04:27:37 pm »
Four days with temps well into the 90s... in May... in western NY.  I'm dying here.  Of course, this coming a week or two after my ranting about how cold and dark it was is illustrative of the wonderful world of weather around here.

Air conditioners went back in the windows yesterday when it reached 93 in my living room.  I cannot function in that. 
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
Re: Now It's Too Darned Hot...
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 04:28:37 pm »
And I am not even going to ask what the hell is a balloominator which keeps popping up on the adverts today....

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 04:30:25 pm »
Darn it. It's freezing cold in Germany right now. In the higher regions it was snowing today!!! Care for a switch?  ;)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 05:24:09 pm »
see.. I was thinking this would be a whole different kind of topic..  ;D

dang it!!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 05:25:43 pm »
see.. I was thinking this would be a whole different kind of topic..  ;D

dang it!!

I am already skating on thin ice with some of the pics in here.  I gotta find a pic module that lets us host pics where I don't have to worry about the advertising people getting upset, and also presents them in a slideshow/thumbnail format.  Then people can have albums to go through.

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 05:36:24 pm »
Four days with temps well into the 90s... in May... in western NY.  I'm dying here.  Of course, this coming a week or two after my ranting about how cold and dark it was is illustrative of the wonderful world of weather around here.

Air conditioners went back in the windows yesterday when it reached 93 in my living room.  I cannot function in that. 
Just north of you here in Toronto - Heat advisory, Pollution advisory, and my central air conditionner went on the blink.  Gonna have to spend $2,300 to have a new one installed - just in time for much cooler weather (predicted for tomorrow) - Oh by the way - that was him on the phone, says he'll be right over, now that the storm advisory has passed! At least things will be fine for the summer.
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 05:41:55 pm »
Just north of you here in Toronto - Heat advisory, Pollution advisory, and my central air conditionner went on the blink.  Gonna have to spend $2,300 to have a new one installed - just in time for much cooler weather (predicted for tomorrow) - Oh by the way - that was him on the phone, says he'll be right over, now that the storm advisory has passed! At least things will be fine for the summer.

Yeah I heard the weather radio go off about that earlier... like even breathing the air will kill you.  It's just muggy.  Toronto is usually cooler in the summer than we are down here.  You could have come visiting on the Rochester Fast Ferry until the whole thing became a money piggie and the mayor of the city of Rochester killed it.  Now the whole thing is headed for England.  Oh well.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 07:20:33 pm »
You just can't please some people.

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2006, 11:04:40 am »
That's why I hang out here all the time...it's always just right at BetterMost.net 

(Phillip - please feel free to use this cheesy line in advertising this site.  You don't even have to pay or credit me to use it!).
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2006, 11:26:11 am »
That's why I hang out here all the time...it's always just right at BetterMost.net 

(Phillip - please feel free to use this cheesy line in advertising this site.  You don't even have to pay or credit me to use it!).

ROFL....*rolls eyes*

It was 93 degrees here yesterday...

vkm91941

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2006, 02:30:28 pm »
It was a blistering 98 here yesterday and it's already 93 this morning!  If this is any indication of the summer...LOOK OUT

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2006, 05:40:39 pm »
Thanks for reminding me why I live at 7300 ft in the Rocky Mountains...don't even own an air conditioner!! If you want to cool off, check out the pic I took last week of skiiers on the Continental Divide at my blog "Front-Ranger's Questions" in Our Daily Thoughts.

I'd mention the Wyoming get-together we're planning later this month but it gets pretty hot in that part of Wyoming...
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2006, 06:42:22 pm »
You just can't please some people.

"That's just what Jesus said!"

(and both quotes are from... c'mon, which film?!)

And Phillip, the weather is as dreadfully cold here as in Germany, but the countryside is nicer here (sorry Anke), so wanna switch with ME?
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2006, 07:49:16 pm »
Heh.  93 degrees F is lovely summer weather for Texas.  Wish it would stay that at that temp instead of jacking up to 98 degrees and higher and staying there until November.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2006, 08:00:12 pm »
93 degrees yesterday and today in SB CA-pretty unheard of in June. A week ago everyone was complaining about the gloom, this week everyone is complaining about the heat. Mom nature just cain't win fer losin'.
And I chose today to WALK downtown-about 21 blocks each way.

Heathen

gattaca

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2006, 09:13:37 am »
Come to Tucson Arizona! Where men are men and the sheep fear them! (or something like that) -

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2006, 12:38:14 pm »
Looks like moving to Mt. Lemmon might be a good idea.  I dunno about "dry heat" either.  I can tolerate hot weather if the wind is blowing.  There are some places where the wind can make all the difference. 

Summers here in western NY are often not too different from the south during the day.  Hot and humid.  But things usually cool down more at night, and the number of 90+ degree days are also usually far less.

Offline Andrew

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2006, 09:54:48 pm »
There's almost nothing you can depend on about the weather in Boston - temperatures and moisture usually the opposite one year from the last.  But if you have a hot summer day, you can count on those cooler sea breezes getting sucked in over the land starting around noon.  I'll even delay an errand or a walk around then if they haven't started up yet, I know they won't be long.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2006, 11:48:34 pm »
There's almost nothing you can depend on about the weather in Boston - temperatures and moisture usually the opposite one year from the last.  But if you have a hot summer day, you can count on those cooler sea breezes getting sucked in over the land starting around noon.  I'll even delay an errand or a walk around then if they haven't started up yet, I know they won't be long.

Andrew -

You remember what they use to say about the weather in Indiana don't you?

"If you don't like the weather here, wait a minute".

We were enjoying nice cool temperatures from the North this past week, but it is coming to an end. They are forecasting temperatures well into the 90's later this week with full humidity. "The air that you wear" as they say.

It was even worse in Evansville. It was hard to breathe down there in the summertime. A lot of people don't realize how hot it gets here in Indiana until they come here.... and then they can't believe it. I remember a friend of mine tried to fry and egg on the hood of her car one summer. It didn't actually fry, but it actually began to solidify and turned a little crisp around the edges. I always wondered if she had just let it sizzle on the car a few minutes longer, perhaps it might have actually fried.

Now that's HOT!! ;)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2006, 11:34:12 pm »
HEAT WAVE!  In the mid 90s today.  I did my power walk at 10 at night tonight.  I notice it was 98 in Riverton a little while ago, with all of 8% humidity.  I don't think that's ever possible here in western NY.  Childress was in the triple digits.  Tomorrow is supposed to be worse.

Rochester got nearly 4 inches of rain in a matter of hours on Wednesday which flooded out several roadways and caused some sinkholes.  That amount of rain here is unheard of in such a short amount of time.  We also have a denser soil here, so it doesn't soak in so fast....

vkm91941

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2006, 11:45:52 pm »
105 and 43% humidity on my patio today.  7th day in a row where we had temps climbing close or into the triple digits.  It never use to get that hot here and certainly never that humid.   It's almost 9 pm PDT and it's stil 84 and humidity is up at 48%

Offline GG

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2006, 12:17:26 pm »
two words:  Global warming
meow!

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2006, 02:32:27 pm »
My husband and I are energy nazis, so no air conditioning, just fans.  Some consequences: I spend extra time at air-conditioned work -- a good thing; we keep the chocolate in the fridge -- a neutral thing; we ice the cats' necks -- a fun thing; our sex life is, uh, less frisky -- a bad thing.

As energy nazis we're happy in the summer because:
- no hot water needed for showers
- de-humidifier bucket fills twice a day in the basement but is recycled into the happy tomato plants
- we eat lots of salad because of its cool crispness and voila, no cooking

Giancarlo

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2006, 02:50:14 pm »
90F is mild. LOL. It was like 110-115F here in the San Fernando Valley during the weekend.

Not to fear, I hear there is a front coming in from Canada through the central US that ought to bring some relief.

Global warming? Not really. There hasn't been a hurricane or tropical storm yet in the gulf.. which is kinda odd..

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2006, 03:28:15 pm »
We love the summer!!! ;D

« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 03:32:17 pm by Pipedream »

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2006, 03:54:05 pm »
Americans try to cope with oppressive heat By NAHAL TOOSI, Associated Press Writer

Temperatures in the 90s gripped parts of the country on Monday, prompting heat advisories, altered routines and calls for electricity conservation.

On the streets of New York, where the National Weather Service issued a heat advisory for the day, a spot in the shade competed with a parking slot as the most valuable commodity. Men and women made their way under narrow awnings, lounged under trees and took breaks under the large umbrellas of hot dog stands.

But the heat was on.

"It feels oppressive and sticky," said Laura Shaffer, a 30-year-old from Manhattan.

She wasn't walking in the shade. But then again, she was sipping a Diet Coke on her way to work.

In Cleveland, 22 outdoor pools that are normally closed on Mondays and Tuesdays were being opened as Monday marked the second 90-degree day of the year. Temperatures throughout Ohio are expected to hover around 90 the rest of the week.

Tony Godel, working on a remodeling project at a hotel in downtown Cleveland, was already sweating through his brown Corona Extra T-shirt by 10 a.m. He planned to drink a lot of water to cope.

"You get used to it after a while," Godel said. "You know what you're getting into. You're paid to deal with it."

With the hot weather expected to continue, calls also went out for electricity conservation.

Record or not, people were making adjustments: Sunglasses, T-shirts, miniskirts and sunscreen. Iced coffee instead of the heated brew. At least one man carried a towel to wipe his brow.

Shaffer, who studies how corporations deal with environmental issues, decided to buy her lunch at a fast-food restaurant before heading into work so she didn't have to come back outside.

"I think that it's a precursor of what we could be experiencing on a daily basis if we don't do something about global warming," she said near Pennsylvania Station.

But she didn't skimp on the spices for her rice and tomato burrito.

"They actually help keep you cool," she said.

___

Associated Press Writer JoAnn Loviglio in Philadelphia contributed to this report.

Copyright © 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The information contained in the AP News report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 03:55:44 pm by YaadPyar »
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2006, 04:03:42 pm »
Thanks for posting that Celeste!

Yes, the humidity is really bad too.

Here in Indiana, people are sticking their tongues in the air to quench their thirst.

Oh God, that was really bad.   ::)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2006, 04:05:28 pm »
We love the summer!!! ;D

Oh. Those two little children are so cute.

They remind me of a Hummel figurine!   :)

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2006, 06:34:41 pm »
It is over 35°C here, probably the mid 90's Farenheit, or closer to 100, and I am loving it. It is rare in Brittany, known to be the French equivalent of Scotland for the UK !  I just hope it lasts. Even as I am writing (0.30 a.m), it is still 28°C outside (80's?). Would sleep outside if we didn't have the frogs (haha) jumping around.
" - I'm vegan now."

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2006, 06:37:32 pm »
It is over 35°C here, probably the mid 90's Farenheit, or closer to 100, and I am loving it. It is rare in Brittany, known to be the French equivalent of Scotland for the UK !  I just hope it lasts. Even as I am writing (0.30 a.m), it is still 28°C outside (80's?). Would sleep outside if we didn't have the frogs (haha) jumping around.

I'll be more than happy to  send you some of this hot Indiana weather if you want some.   ;)

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2006, 06:53:40 pm »
I'll be more than happy to  send you some of this hot Indiana weather if you want some.   ;)

Well actually YES please  :). I'd have a good excuse too for not doing so much housework because, well, it is too darned hot for housework now, isn't it?  :D Do you get such hot weather in Indiana all year round?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 10:33:43 am by isabelle »
" - I'm vegan now."

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2006, 08:35:18 pm »
Well actually YES please  :). I'd have a good excuse too for not doing so much housework because, well, it is too darn hot for housework now, isn't it?  :D Do you get such hot weather in Indiana all year round?

Only six months out of the year. During the other 6 months we are buried up to our necks in snow and ice.  :)

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2006, 10:25:45 pm »
HOLY CRAP, IT'S HOT!

I came over to this board to start a thread and there's already one goin. I don't have an air conditioner, and in my little NYC apt it's like, 95 degrees, with the window fan on full blast. I just cracked open an ice cold beer I'd been saving for this kind of circumstance, so at least I got that goin for me.

You just can't do too much when it's like this. I'm supposed to be studying for a test I have this week, but I dunno....might have to scrap that plan. Here's a pic to help cool us all down...

ahhh, a little snow bathing sounds good right now.
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2006, 01:28:46 am »
HOLY CRAP, IT'S HOT!

Wow! I can't even imagine how good that would feel right now!

That really makes me pine for winter.... and I HATE winter.   :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2006, 03:22:27 am »
HOLY CRAP, IT'S HOT!

I came over to this board to start a thread and there's already one goin. I don't have an air conditioner, and in my little NYC apt it's like, 95 degrees, with the window fan on full blast. I just cracked open an ice cold beer I'd been saving for this kind of circumstance, so at least I got that goin for me.

Jenny, you don't have air conditioning? Oh my God. You poor thing!  :'(

Oh Lord! You should go over to Bestbuy or Target and at least pick up a window unit. How do you sleep at night in this heat? I remember in college during my first year,  I had a window air conditioner in my apartment. It stopped working during a late summer heat wave, and I slept in the bathtub until the maintenance got it working again. I can't sleep at night if I am hot. I feel so bad for you Jenny. They say the heat will be breaking later this week after some storms roll through (at least this is what they are telling us here in Indianapolis).

God. You poor baby!  :(

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2006, 09:54:52 am »
I can't sleep at night if I am hot. I feel so bad for you Jenny. They say the heat will be breaking later this week after some storms roll through (at least this is what they are telling us here in Indianapolis).

David, you're so sweet. Judging from when you wrote this, it looks like you can't sleep at night even when you aren't hot!  ;D

I actually can sleep relatively well for some reason in the heat, but I just can't get a lot done at home. If it keeps going like this, I may get a window unit, but I've lived through a few NC summers without any AC. You get used to it. Sticking your head in the freezer for a few cold breaths of air also feels great. And, I work in an air conditioned building all day, so that really helps. If it were an all day thing, I'd go crazy. Thanks for your concern though! :D

Jenny
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2006, 03:46:18 pm »
For all of you who thought it was too darn hot in the past - this morning, the temperature outside was in the 80's before the sun came up

It's reaching high 90's (36C) this afternoon, and with the humidity factor - they're saying 116F (46C) and this is Toronto, for %$@^* Sake!

Time for another cold shower, I guess
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2006, 03:54:08 pm »
I've been taking cold showers and just looking blankly at my towel, which I no longer use.  I just shake off and streak to the fan and get blow-dried.

Offline David

« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2006, 04:02:23 pm »
No much better here in Hartford.  Or should I call it HOTford!

Today it peaked at 99* F.    Tomorrow they are saying expect 101* F.

I went out at 2pm to wash the PT and had to keep wetting down the driveway because it was too hot on my feet!  LOL.   And by the time I was done wiping the car off, which I had to do quickly as the heat was drying it faster, I had to go in and take another cold shower.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2006, 04:08:26 pm »
This is one of those freakish summer days in South Florida in which it is actually five-ten degrees cooler than all the hottest places in the country.  We've had some lovely east winds over the last few days that have kept our usually ferocious heat down to a dull roar.  Right now, weather.com says our temp is 89F, wind is ENE at 14 mph, and humidity is a very dry (for us) 59%.  I think we've been in a "high pressure ridge" which is about to change.  And when it does, let the instantaneous sweating upon stepping outdoors begin.  Again.

David, I washed the 4-Runner on Sunday.  And even though I kept misting my face and hair with the cold water from the hose and went in and took a cold shower afterwards, my face was still tomato red from the heat for about the next hour.   :P
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 04:10:41 pm by ednbarby »
No more beans!

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2006, 04:10:41 pm »
Oh! to be in Riverton right now - where the temperature is 68 F and it's cloudy - aaaah  :P

Just check it out again - NOW they're suffering from a light rain - and the temperature is down to 60 F (brrrrrr) - the radio here just told us that tonight the low will be 26 C (79 F) - yet another muggy night - I'm not going for my morning run tomorrow either.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 04:21:03 pm by Roland »

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2006, 04:14:33 pm »

Boy, it's hot!  :P

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • " Save a horse ... ride a cowboy "
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2006, 08:41:52 pm »

I'm melting!  melting...melting...
" Save a horse... ride a cowboy "

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2006, 12:30:08 am »
It was so hot today, the sun melted the glue on my rear view mirror. I found it laying on the floor of my car.

And that's no joke!  :D

Offline David

« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2006, 02:21:21 pm »
I found the cure for the heat wave!!!

Breyers Black Raspberry Chocolate Chip Icecream!

It is tastier than Jake in Spandex!  ;D