Author Topic: Daily Life Pet Peeves  (Read 15175 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Re: Daily Life Pet Peeves
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2008, 10:05:50 am »

It's protocol here in Australia to give people a little wave in your rear-view mirror, if they have courteously allowed you to merge into their lane, in front of them. Alas, however. this is a practice that has also been taken-up by ultra-rude, barge-arse drivers, who dangerously barge in front of you in traffic, for no apparent reason.  :o  One is driving along at speed and for no reason, whatsoever, some drongo will barge in front of you and give you a jaunty little "Thank you kindly!" wave in their rear-view mirror. It's hard not to take it as a sarcastic, "Up yours!" gesture, even though it does take the form of a limp little wave. If they're going to barge dangerously in front of me, I would personally prefer that they don't give me a familiar, cheery wave, thanks all the same. We're not friends, so please don't wave at me. And besides, you twit, you've just been driving like a moron. Keep away from me!   >:(   Sheesh, I think I'll go back to public transport!  ::)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2008, 10:41:48 am »
Beware the drongos!

dron·go2     
–noun, plural -gos. Australian Slang. a stupid or slow-witted person; simpleton. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1920–25; prob. to be identified with drongo1, as a name for the Australian bird Dicrurus bracteata; though often popularly alleged to have originated from the name of an unsuccessful racehorse of the 1920s]

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2008, 06:43:58 pm »
Beware the drongos!

dron·go2     
–noun, plural -gos. Australian Slang. a stupid or slow-witted person; simpleton. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1920–25; prob. to be identified with drongo1, as a name for the Australian bird Dicrurus bracteata; though often popularly alleged to have originated from the name of an unsuccessful racehorse of the 1920s]

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2008, 07:11:53 pm »
One time we were hauling five horses to a show in Athens....now we are talking a Ford F350, a five horse slant trailer with a dressing room, five horses (by themselves weighing almost three tons) barreling along at 60 MPH. You can't stop suddenly when you are hauling lifestock, they lose their footing and can seriously injure themselves...

and a woman in a little white subcompact pulled out in front of us.

You want scared? My husband laid on the horn and the brakes and finally took the truck and trailer over on the shoulder, because she wasnt' moving...how he managed to not flip it, I dont' know.

and she honked at us and flipped us the bird....

>:( >:( >:(

I hear you.  People are such fucking morons.  I was pulling out of my work's parking lot when I saw a car barrelling along in the far left hand lane - the asshole must have been going 90 mph on the access road in front of a line of businesses.  So, I decided to go ahead and pull out, since he was in the far lane and going so fast, he'd be by me in a blink.  I pulled out carefully hugging the right hand lane and looked for him in my left hand mirror and - he was gone!

Yep, you guessed it, he zipped around the traffic in the left lanes going 90 just so he could get in the far right lane - right where I was pulling out - he's laid on the brakes, screeching, horn honking, flipping me off.

Asshole.

P.S.  A biker friend of mine - as in motorcycles - used to say he'd get a hard time from truckers hauling cattle.  That if they felt he was tailgating them - or just to be jerks, I guess - they'd tap their brakes, making the rig jostle gently back and forth - this made the cows piss, dousing anyone behind them.

Is this true?