Author Topic: For Better Or For Worse: A Rerun!  (Read 4399 times)

Marge_Innavera

For Better Or For Worse: A Rerun!
« on: September 05, 2008, 11:30:12 am »
The wonderful Canadian comic strip, "For Better or For Worse", has been in over 2,000 newspapers in Canada, the United States and several other countries since 1979.  The story concluded a few weeks ago with the wedding of Elizabeth, the Patterson family's oldest daughter but is now rerunning the original series with new artwork and other content added by the author, Lynn Johnson.

One of the elements distinguishing FBoFW from other comic strips is that unlike classic strips like Blondie, in which members of the Bumstead family have remained the same ages for over 60 years, the Pattersons and their friends, co-workers and relatives age in close to real-life time.  The strip also dealt with problems and issues other newspaper comic strips rarely touch: aging, death (of a grandparent and, earlier, a family pet), child abuse and sexual harassment.  In 1993 a neighbor character, Lawrence Poirer, came out as a gay man and the strip's author stood firm against some negative reaction, later introducing  Lawrence's long-term partner.  During the strip the family adds a new baby, April, who is high school age at the end of the series. One item of interest to Brokies: the epilogue mentions that April later becomes a vet and moves to Calgary, working for the Calgary Stampede.

The FBoFW has an extensive website, with separate pages about each character, books and promotional items, a "Q and Eh" section and backgrounds on the settings.  Wikipedia also has a good summary of the characters.  The strip's author has established "The Farley Foundation", also featured on the site, which concentrates on non-elective medical care for pets of senior citizens as well as aid to women "at risk of abuse who have fled to a women's shelter and whose pets are being cared for through OVMA's SafePet Program."

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: For Better Or For Worse: A Rerun!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 06:20:48 pm »
I didn't like the author's decision.  IMO, the strip has run its course.  Time to shut down and draw the curtain down on the family.  It just seems like SHE doesn't want to let go.  She wants to rerun the series starting at the beginning w/ new artwork, differing POVs etc.,, but heck then that's Family Circus - and just as boring.  She needs to move on.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 11:16:44 am »
I didn't like the author's decision.  IMO, the strip has run its course.  Time to shut down and draw the curtain down on the family.  It just seems like SHE doesn't want to let go.  She wants to rerun the series starting at the beginning w/ new artwork, differing POVs etc.,, but heck then that's Family Circus - and just as boring.  She needs to move on.

First, I find it fascinating when people want someone to "move on" from something because they themselves aren't interested in it. 

Second, this series started in 1979, so there are people who are now adults and then some who weren't even born when it started.  I've only been reading it since 1994, so even many longtime readers are going to see plotlines they either hadn't seen before or had forgotten.  And if there isn't enough interest from readers, I expect it won't continue.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 12:24:18 pm »
never heard of it, but sounds interesting and its quite nice that they are rerunning it again.

It' interesting - I've grown up with 2 scottish cartoons called 'Oor Wullie' (Our William) and 'The Broons' (The Brown's) they had a comic strip each week in 'The Sunday Post' and every alternating year there would be an annual. One year, Oor Willie, the next the Broons. It used to come out in time for Christmas and would be a staple in each kids stocking from santa.

And even after 70+ years they're all still the same age!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oor_Wullie
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Broons

http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 08:06:09 pm »
I was sorry to see the strip conclude.  I've been seeing some of the "reruns", and it really didn't interest me.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 12:51:35 am »
First, I find it fascinating when people want someone to "move on" from something because they themselves aren't interested in it. 

Second, this series started in 1979, so there are people who are now adults and then some who weren't even born when it started.  I've only been reading it since 1994, so even many longtime readers are going to see plotlines they either hadn't seen before or had forgotten.  And if there isn't enough interest from readers, I expect it won't continue.

It's a normal reaction.  Lots of people cling to the past because the future is too scary in their opinion.  Change is always difficult.  Some people just need a kick in the pants otherwise they will hold onto what is safe and comfortable and familiar.  Repeating patterns, in other words and never grow.