Author Topic: TOTW 24/08: Extras and small roles in the movie  (Read 6633 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: TOTW 24/08: Extras and small roles in the movie
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 03:58:57 pm »
While I like your interpretation, Amanda, after a closer look, the guy with the hat appears to be Carl (with Cassie just before they enter the building).

I'll have to watch that part of the movie again in real-time.  From the photo you included I don't see Cassie.  And, the guy by the window appears to be dressed differently than Carl.  But, it may just be hard to see in that screencap.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline chowhound

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008, 05:19:47 pm »
Hi Penthesilea...thanks for introducing another interesting topic. Here are three observations for consideration:

1. The tattooed lady:
       One possible explanation for her inclusion is that, through her, Ang Lee is indicating ways in which society has changed since the late fifties or early sixties, especially for women. This woman is decorated in ways which earlier would have been thought outlandish and unfeminine yet she is not being shunned. Indeed, she seems to have a boyfriend by the way she is dancing and, in that way, is now part of society.
        Perhaps Ang is also suggesting that the same is true of gays and society but of that I'm far less sure.

2. The Basque:
       I imagine you want to keep discussion to the characters in the movie and not the actors who played them but, if not, there's an extended interview with David Trimble, the actor who played the Basque, on an excellent site called FindingBrokeback.com.  If anybody hasn't heard of this site before now, do check it out. It's well worth while.

3.  The salesgirl in Monroe's grocery:
      Iy looks as though the shot you have is only half of that scene. At least, I've been looking at it on StripedWall - image 1808 - and there the other half of the frame is occupied by Ennis and is two children. In this shot, the young lady, rather than looking bored, is looking up at Ennis and his two children with friendly interest. Presumably, as Alma works in the store, she would have met Ennis and the two kids before. By the way, I do appreciate this movie's attention to detail. The beehive hairdo the young lady is sporting is absolutely right for the mid sixties.

Offline Toycoon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 12:36:11 am »
The tattooed woman in the bar ALWAYS looks out of place to me. Even in this post MTV day and age, a woman with a full back tattoo still stands out in most situations. For the life of me, I can't imagine why Ang Lee would have included her in that scene.
"The most important thing is being sincere, even if you have to fake it." - Cesar Romero

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 10:19:50 am »
The tattooed woman in the bar ALWAYS looks out of place to me. Even in this post MTV day and age, a woman with a full back tattoo still stands out in most situations. For the life of me, I can't imagine why Ang Lee would have included her in that scene.

I puzzled over that one.Then decided that maybe she was there to indicate society to some extent had moved on and become more accepting.Yet Ennis is still stuck in the past,crucified by his childhood and unable to move forward.
Trapped almost in a time warp, while people and ideas around him changed.