Author Topic: Is He Lying To You? Watch His Hands  (Read 6821 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

injest

Re: Is He Lying To You? Watch His Hands
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 04:54:51 pm »
What is your body language telling others?

http://www.aolhealth.com/healthy-living/relationships/body-language?icid=200100397x1209337109x1200554929

this can be misleading...people with neurological problems or injuries may hold themselves differently...but it is fun as a game... ;)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 11:10:55 pm »

For my 28+ years in the New South Wales Public Service, I have always followed Quentin Crisp's ("The Naked Civil Servant") advice:

"Smile & Nod - it keeps the bastards guessing."

It's never failed me yet. I add one of my own to the "Smile & Nod" thing. As you're smiling and nodding, say "Certainly."

It works for me!  I haven't been caught out yet, that I know of!   ;)   :D

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

injest

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 11:23:01 pm »
them Aussies...they are a sly bunch...gotta watch THEM all the time...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 11:35:43 pm »
I think Australians are cute, don't you Jess? I LOVE their accents. They are so sunny and cheerful sounding.

Kerry, do Australians have different accents like we do here? I know they have many different accents in the UK as well, so I'm assuming you all also have accents which vary from one part of the country to another.

Over here, it's often quite easy to tell what part of the country a person comes from - sometimes even a particular state. My "Hoosier" ears can easily discern a Kentucky accent, an Ohio accent, a Michigan accent and to a lesser degree an Illinois accent from a speaker from Indiana. And those are all neighboring Midwestern states!

So I was wondering if this is also true in Australia? :)

injest

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 11:41:17 pm »
I think Australians are cute, don't you Jess? I LOVE their accents. They are so sunny and cheerful sounding.

Kerry, do Australians have different accents like we do here? I know they have many different accents in the UK as well, so I'm assuming you all also have accents which vary from one part of the country to another.

Over here, it's often quite easy to tell what part of the country a person comes from - sometimes even a particular state. My "Hoosier" ears can easily discern a Kentucky accent, an Ohio accent, a Michigan accent and to a lesser degree an Illinois accent from a speaker from Indiana. And those are all neighboring Midwestern states!

what about Texas? can you tell I am from Texas?

(and yes, I think Aussies are adorable and their accent is the sexiest to me...)

:) ;)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 11:45:07 pm »
what about Texas? can you tell I am from Texas?

(and yes, I think Aussies are adorable and their accent is the sexiest to me...)

:) ;)

I already KNOW you're from Texas Jess, so that would be cheating! :laugh:

Yeah, I can tell a Texas accent from other Southern accents. At least I THINK I can! :-\

injest

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 12:00:30 am »
I already KNOW you're from Texas Jess, so that would be cheating! :laugh:

Yeah, I can tell a Texas accent from other Southern accents. At least I THINK I can! :-\

what if I pretend to be someone else?

"Haylo, DAYVED...AH am the DOOCHEZ of WICKINSTAN..."

would you be able to tell I was from Texas then??

;D ;D

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 12:58:01 am »

I love American and English accents.  :D

I am particularly fond of the very genteel, refined, Southern American accent and also love the hillbilly accent as spoken in the Beverley Hillbillies and by Dolly Parton. A man with that accent really turns my knees to jelly.  ::)  When I was a young chap, I used to love listening to Jethro (I liked looking at him too!) in the Beverley Hillbillies.  ;D

Of the gazillions of different English accents, my favourite is probably the London Cockney accent, which sound a bit like an Australian accent.

Generally speaking, we don't have such regional accents here in Australia. There are a couple of exceptions; e.g., in Sydney we pronounce castle "car-sul" and in Melbourne they say "ca-sul" (the first syllable pronounced as in cat or hat). And Queenslanders put an "Eh?" on the end of everything, turning it into a question; e.g., "Nice day, eh?" "Let's go to the movies, eh?" That's unique to Queensland.

Having said that, however, I personally believe there are three distinct and readily recognisable Australian accents:

* High Australian is spoken by the educated and monied classes at the top of the heap. Our Heath was born to privilege, came from a rich, educated family and went to elite schools. His grandfather was a Knight, which automatically elevated the entire family well above most of the rest of their countrymen. Heath had a High Australian accent.

* Middle Australian is spoken by the majority of Australians. It's neither posh nor crass. Think Hugh Jackman and Nicole Kidman. I put myself in this category.

* Low Australian is less widespread these days. It has a somewhat coarse, guttural sound. You're less inclined to hear it in the larger, affluent cities, and more likely to hear it in regional, country areas; though, this isn't always the case. An example of this accent is Paul Hogan ("Throw a shrimp on the barbie") and Steve Irwin.

This is strictly my own opinion only. I'd be interested to hear the opinion of my fellow Aussie Bettermostians.  :D

« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 02:31:08 am by Kerry »
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 02:16:03 am »
Aww, thanks for taking the time to type that out Kerry. I appreciate it. I can easily still hear Steve Irwin's accent and Heath's accent :'(  :'( when I think about them. Fortunately we can still see Steve on Animal Planet and Heath is often on TV. Funny though, because my American ears really can't detect a difference between the two. Maybe a little. Nicole Kidman and Heath sound the same to me. Same accent. So perhaps you have to be Australian in order to differentiate between those two. I think I understand what you mean about Steve though. To me, ALL Australian accents are so friendly and warm. Very very cute and cheerful. I think most Americans would agree with me.

Yeah, I like the Kentucky and Appalachian accents too Kerry. When I lived in Evansville I only lived about a mile or two from the Ohio River which is the Indiana/Kentucky state line. On the north side of the river the accent is typical Hoosier, and just several hundred yards away on the south side of the river they speak with a Kentucky accent. It's weird how only several hundred yards of distance can make such a difference in speech patterns. Hoosiers sound more and more like people in Kentucky the further south you travel in the state. North of Indianapolis, the accent is Midwestern. South of Indianapolis the accent becomes suspiciously Southern. Indianapolis has a mixture of both. But even in Evansville in southwest Indiana or Clarksville and Jeffersonville which is the north side of Louisville, Kentucky I can still tell a Hoosier from a Kentuckian! Many from outside this area cannot tell a difference though. They think both accents sound the same. :D