Author Topic: Getting in Touch With Your Feelings About Brokeback Mountain  (Read 33426 times)

Offline BBMGrandma

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Jack....I swear.....
Re: Getting in Touch With Your Feelings About Brokeback Mountain
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2006, 05:53:13 am »
I remember the year Out of Africa won out over The Color Purple; I'd seen Out of Africa and fell in love with it, and was deeply moved when Robert Redford's character was killed. It was my favorite for best picture, which it won.

How odd that you mentioned Out of Africa...Tim.  That film has been my all time favorite movie since the first time I saw it.  It touched me deeply too!!  I was just mentioning it today...in a post on another forum here.  But that was then...and NOW....well....Brokeback Mountain has stolen my heart and renewed my soul.  I can still picture Denyys...as he flew off in his little plane...for the last time.  But it's blurred now....and fading into a quiet campsite....a crackling fire...Ennis lying on his back enjoying the quiet while Jack sits next to him.  In this....I find happiness and peace now. 

Be well....Love Nancy  :-*
"If we never dream....we'll never have a dream come true"   (me...myself...and I)

Offline Fla_Tim

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2006, 08:19:20 am »
Yes Nancy, that was then, not now. I thought of that year's Oscars in trying to resolve my bitterness at the Academy about not awarding Brokeback the best picture. As Ennis would say "If you can't fix it you got a stand it".

As much as I love Out of Africa it didn't rip my guts out the way Brokeback Mountain did. The only thing that came clost to having that kind of effect on me when I read "The Front Runner" at the time I was struggling with coming to terms with my attraction to men. The world opened up for me then, but that is another post for another day -- since it is 7:16 I need to get out of my robe and get my butt to the office at 8.

Hugs,

Tim

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2006, 04:55:21 am »
Dear Phillip and everyone who has written about feelings on Brokeback Mt....

I can tell you immediately that Brokeback Mountain has had and continues to have a deeper impact on my feelings and thinking than any other movie before it and I watch a lot of movies.  I work in Korea and already have to deal with being alone and sometimes lonely because I am overseas, so I get the blues from time to time like anyone, but I can usually deal with it.

I saw a trailer or two before the movie arrived here in March and was excited and eager to see it.  Before I saw it on the big screen, there were pirated copies of the DVD on the streets of Seoul.  I got one.  I watched it in the privacy of my apartment.  I was not, like so many of us, prepared for what I would see and feel. 

I am a writer and teacher, so I'm keenly aware of plot and images on the screen, in poetry etc...   I was intensely aware of the deep loneliness of both Ennis and Jack hidden behind all the tough looks and leather, the "manly" posturing that is suppose to say, "I'm too hard and strong for feeling of tenderness, for intimacy.  I'm too "manly" for all that "sissy" stuff"   

Jack and Ennis, genuine cowboys that they are, are that type of guy.  But all men, all human beings have a need for tender care and intimacy and a lack of it can lead to hollow lives and even poor health. So, I saw their need of human contact and love and watched them slowly bond with each other even if against their cowboy grain. 

Their first love scene was so awkward, nearly brutal, that it had little effect on me except to say, "Wow, they sure needed that!"   The second scene, when Ennis willingly comes to Jack in the tent and Jack draws him gently to him with kisses and then pulls him down to his chest, well, that's when I cried the first time.  My own needs at the moment are real; I am lonely here at the moment, so watching them open up to each other worked to open my own heart and mind to a great sadness, an awareness that my own solitude had gone on too long and I needed to change it...   But I was powerless to do anything but truly and deeply feel where I am right now in my life.  So, I cried, but not for too long.  Heartache stayed with me from that point onward.

I was enthralled by the rest of the movie.  I felt Ennis and Jack in me, could identify with both, but for me, I am personally closer in mind and heart to Jack.  The thing that got to me was Jack's frustration at Ennis's inability to love him openly and exclusively. 

The final scene of Jack and Ennis together, where they argue over "Never enough time" broke feelings open in me that I hadn't felt in years: despair, fear, emptiness, unfulfilled longing and desire for a solid friendship with a lover... the anger and unhappiness mixed with all the love, loyalty and trust was too much for Ennis..."Jack, I just can't take this anymore."   I thought that would be the height of emotion in the movie and yes,  I wept again, more than before.

When Ennis 's postcard is returned with the word "DECEASED" on it, I went numb. 

I couldn't believe what had happened, but then reality shoved its way in and I realized Jack was dead.  Whether murdered, as Ennis's thinks, or by an accident, is unclear and readers/viewers are left to wonder, which was intentional or so said Annie Proulx in an interview I have since read.  Jack's death was almost unbearable

As I watched Ennis try to find out how and why and when Jack died and then talk with Jack's folks, my feelings sunk deeper.  Ennis's devastation is so clea, his loss so great and then to have Jack's father treat him in such a cruel, hateful way.  Thank goodness for Jack's mother.  She was at least kind to him.

Seeing Ennis enter Jack's room it seemed Jack's entire house was barren but for the grim sadness that filled it.  When Ennis finds the shirts, placed as if the two are one, his blood on both shirts signifying a bond of "blood brothers blood lovers", I cried, but then Ennis, pressing the shirts too his face, inhaling as if to smell some scent of Jack, to hold some last part of Jack close to him,  well at that point, I came unglued.

I had to stop the film. I sobbed and wept like a beaten child, a man whipped by a cruel reality.  I hadn't cried that way in years, but I knew why at least.  You see, I lost a lover many years ago to an illness, not HIV, but I loss him and for months after he was gone, I would go to the closet and take a sweater or shirt of his out and put it to my face and inhale the scent of him because I missed him that much.  And so, that loss all came rushing back from 20 years ago and it felt as painful as it had when it first happened.   

I watched the rest of the movie.  I saw it on the big screen and cried again (less intensely but I cried).   I watched it on DVD again and the same emotions were there, but after some time, I said, wait!  What is it that you need now?  Why are you so sad?  What is it you need to be at least somewhat happier?  And I realized the message of Brokeback Mountain is that we all need Love in our lives, we all need tenderness and friendship and intimacy and life is too short  not to have it!

So, I have begun to take action, to do things to change my situation.  I contacted an old lover who I knew was in another city and reach out to him.  We never stopped being friends, but the romance ended some years ago.  He was delighted to hear from me.  We have renewed our friendship and I'm visiting him more now.   It's not going to be a romantic bond, but the friendship is better than before.  I know he cares; he knows he's got me for a friend still too.

This is good.  I also decided to find better employment closer to a larger city where I can maybe meet other men and have a date (imagine that?!).   I have lived in this small town where I am now so I could write and work and I have done a lot, written two books, gained good solid experience at my job teaching English.  I am ready for a promotion, a self promotion to a job where I can make more money and have a social life for goodness sake!  I deserve it, but I 'm not sure I would have realized it so soon if I had not seen Brokeback Mt.  Had the feelings in me not been woken up and felt, I might still be in the denial that I was in but wasn't aware of...   For this, I am thankful to Annie Proulx for writing the story and to all who made the movie.  I have read it in book form now too.  It's a wonder to read.  I'm reading more of Annie's stories now.

I did have "Brokeback Flu" for a while, it's true, but there is a time to heal and look to the future.  I hope all who have such reactions can do the same and I look to you for support and help too.  I'm here for you. Thank you Phillip for this forum and for the great music on Brokeback Mountain Radio station too.

Peace,
Rayn
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 03:42:52 pm by Rayn »

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2006, 05:55:16 am »
Seeing Ennis enter Jack's room it seemed Jack's entire house was barren but for the grim sadness that filled it.  When Ennis finds the shirts, placed as if the two are one, blood from both men on them, a bond of love and friendship that made them "blood brothers and lover".......I cried, but then Ennis, pressing the shirts too his face, iinhaling as if to smell some scent of Jack, to hold some last part of Jack close to him... well at that point, I came unglued.

OMG Rayn, this was a beautiful post - it gave me chills.  I think just about everyone on this site would be able to say they related to the story of BBM in some way, but to be able to identify with it so literally (with the shirts) just blows me away - I was a basket case for weeks without having to deal with anything like that!  One thing’s for sure, Brokeback has given us all a not-so-gentle "shake of the shoulders", and we're all left wondering how so much could have changed by one seemingly obscure art house film.  But changed we are - big time!

Congratulations on your rekindled friendship, may there be many more on the horizon.

Best regards and hugs, Chris.
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2006, 07:46:47 am »
Chris, thanks for your kind reply.  I hope all is going well for you downunder.  It's nice to hear from someone who is almost in the neighborhood!  LOL   How are people in your homeland responding to Brokeback? 

Curious,
Rayn

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2006, 08:49:14 pm »
Chris, thanks for your kind reply.  I hope all is going well for you downunder.  It's nice to hear from someone who is almost in the neighborhood!  LOL   How are people in your homeland responding to Brokeback? 

Hey Rayn, Brokeback has done over US$6M in two months of release in Australia, which is pretty good given our relatively small population, and it is still doing well in the larger cinema complexes and the small art-house cinemas.  My last viewing was a couple of weeks ago in a medium sized cinema and it was almost full (200-300 or so).  But apart from the fact that there has been plenty of "bums-on-seats", one of the things I love about going to the cinema to see BBM is being aware of the other people in the crowd.  I've seen it about 9 times now so I feel like I can almost inhale it, I'm so aware of everything on the screen and in the auditorium.

At the beginning it's the usual munching-confectionary and sipping-drinks noises that are typical of going to the movies, but that only lasts for 30 minutes (queue tent scene #1).  There's usually a little bit of nervous rustling and shifting positions for the next 15 minutes or so, but it's just about then that you realise that the audience become very quiet.  But at the one-hour mark time stops (flashback).  I kid you not, it's not just me holding my breath, the entire audience is and the silence is deafening.  I love the fact that you can really feel the tension of 200+ people not moving a muscle.

Granted, the majority of the people that are going to see it are women, but I also get a kick out of seeing the occasional bloke, who was clearly dragged along by the girlfriend/wife, but leaving with a not-so-blokey expression on his face.  :)

Brokeback gets 'em every time!
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline raisinhead

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2006, 04:23:18 pm »
Rayn, your post really struck me - that sense of time stood still. I've been thinking for a long time about the powerr BBM has over us and what is the structure and philosopohy and sheer story-telling virtuosity behind all this, that makes it so powerful and turns this into soemthing that stays in your mind, heart, soul, whereever, for the longest time.

So I went and wrote 3000 words on the subject.... probably no one is interested in reading this but for the sake of exorcising some post-BBM demons then it is was very cathartic for me.

I humbly submit this to the body of knowledge about the power of BBM. Check out Reviews section.

Excerpt1
Tragedy arose from a protagonist being trapped by two duties, both of which demand fulfilment. This is the theme most often chosen by the Greek dramatists. Their dramas were highly formalised. In a broad interpretation, the classical structure of Greek tragedy and their recurring themes are discernible in Brokeback Mountain.

Excerpt2
n Desire Under The Elms we see a harbinger of the ideas and philosophical heart of Brokeback Mountain -- the conflict between on the one hand, the idea that in life one might seek the Dionysian, freedom, and on the other, choose a life that follows a path of unflinching Apollonian self-denial and hardship. The O’Neill Archive writes again “while Nietzsche provided the philosophical underpinning for Desire Under The Elms, the drama evolved from O’Neill’s perception that men who are forced to serve alien Gods are doomed to loneliness” .

etc

http://manderley.moonfruit.com/

Paul, London
 ::)

Offline Peter John Shields

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • On a river bank.
    • My web page.
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2006, 09:44:41 pm »
Hello all - I have copied this over from a message I sent to Paul on his website...

Hello Paul,
What an eye opening article.  Unreal!  Thank you for your research.  I think that when writers and film makers tap into eternal truths it connects with something deep inside and makes the story a legend.

I found your website via Bettermost and it is wonderful.  Glad to have met you Paul and thanks again.  The way you could describe in words the emotional effect of the movie was very helpful for me in dealing with my own grief over the film - after all knowledge is power.  Has this knowledge helped you cope with your own grief?  I am inspired to learn more literature.  I wonder whether the constucts of the film, such as set design, were conciously designed to reflect existential ideas, or whether they bubbled up from the unconcious on their own...

Peter
Cheerio,
PJ

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2006, 03:38:11 am »
So I went and wrote 3000 words on the subject.... probably no one is interested in reading this but for the sake of exorcising some post-BBM demons then it is was very cathartic for me.

I humbly submit this to the body of knowledge about the power of BBM. Check out Reviews section.

Paul, London

Paul, thanks for your reply.  I will make a point of reading yoiur review and get back to you afterwards.  From the excerpts and comment it sound great.  Thanks, in advance, for the time and work you put into it.

Rayn

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2006, 03:22:53 am »
I just read Paul's review (the link to it is above) and must say, it's excellent.  Thank you Paul for the time and thought you put into it.  I wonder if Annie Proulx actually set out with Greek tragedy in mind or did she hit upon through, say, the collective unconscious?  Who knows?

I'm becoming aware that BBM, this simple but profoundly moving and energizing work of art may very well be a turning point in my life.   I know I am in transition toward new and, I hope better, employment and social relations.  Much is changing, and it seems as if the movie marked some tipping point toward taking serious note of where I am in my life, a push to start making improvements instead of just staying with what I've been comfortable with for years.

So, if I list what is changing, I can say, my job, friendships, where I live (because I will move to another job by autumn) my own writing/art and even music and books I enjoy are taking new forms! 

I don't imagine I will be in cowboy hat and boots too soon!  That's just not me or necessary, but when I look at what has happened since seeing Brokeback Mountain, many things add up.  Of course, some might say that all those changes could have happened without BBM, but from where I stand and see my life, I don't think so.

I want to again recommend Paul’s review.  Good Writing!

Rayn
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 03:31:39 am by Rayn »