Author Topic: Are you a Heathen or a Gyllenhaalic?  (Read 28550 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Are you a Heathen or a Gyllenhaalic?
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2006, 12:45:18 pm »
I guess this 2:1 ratio is what it has seemed like all along.  I don't mind (much).  I think if the poll question had been "Do you love BOTH Heath AND Jake, yes or no?" we would have had 100% "Yes!"

Yours truly,

Ms. Elle Heathen

LOL.  Honestly, I've always had a thing for the dark-haired boys.  I basically already have Heath's coloring - I guess I lust for something different from myself.  And that's not a bad thing, right?  :)
No more beans!

Offline alec716

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2006, 12:51:22 pm »
Excuse me, but I would think about Jake even if I were in a coma.   ;)
"... he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream."

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2006, 01:23:04 am »
I am a definate Heathen! I love Heath Ledger. He was so cute  in "10 Things I Hate About You". I fell in love with him from the first time I watched that movie. "Brokeback Mountain" only made me love him  more!

I am a confirmed  Heathen. Come to think of  it, there has been a few times people actually called me a Heathen. But somehow, I don't think they were referring to Heath Ledger!   :-\
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline JT

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2006, 03:52:11 pm »
I choose Jake.  I do like Jake but it's Jack that I truly love.  Isn't it weird?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2006, 03:55:19 pm »
I choose Jake.  I do like Jake but it's Jack that I truly love.  Isn't it weird?

Not at all! It sounds like you are 100% Gyllenhallic.

I'm a heathen myself. :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline ZouBEini

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2006, 04:15:48 pm »
Somehow I'd expect you to be a Heathen, David.

I'm just a Jakeaaf.  It's the eyes - and what gorgeous lashes. Maybelline? 

I fell in love with him in The Day After Tomorrow.

~Larz

Offline JT

« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2006, 11:12:43 am »
Not at all! It sounds like you are 100% Gyllenhallic.

I'm a heathen myself. :)

You're a true Heathen, David.

Actually, I'm more of a Jack-ahollic than a Gyllenhaalic.  I thought it was weird that I ended up liking the character Jack more than the actor himself.  Anyone else have that problem of liking a character more than the actor?  Don't get me wrong, I do love Jake too.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2006, 11:35:04 am »

You're a true Heathen, David.

Actually, I'm more of a Jack-ahollic than a Gyllenhaalic.  I thought it was weird that I ended up liking the character Jack more than the actor himself.  Anyone else have that problem of liking a character more than the actor?  Don't get me wrong, I do love Jake too.

I've had that problem several times, though not with Jack/Jake.  I did fall in love with Jack and will always love him.  Ennis, too.  But I fell in lust with Jake completely separately.  And that all started actually after a few viewings of Brokeback, when I started seeing him do the talk show circuit and discovered what a lovely person he is - I had never seen him interviewed before Brokeback, so I had no idea.  The first thing I saw him on was Leno, and he was an absolute DOLL.  Confident without being arrogant, sharp as a tack, funny, warm, sweet, ...  I could go on all day.  Haven't been able to get him out of my head ever since.  And don't really care to.

The characters/actors I've had that problem with, though, off the top of my head:

Will Shakespeare in Shakespeare in Love - ADORE him.  Joseph Fiennes, not so much

Will Hunting in Good Will Hunting - ADORE him.  Matt Damon, not so much (though I do think he's a very talented actor)

Crash Davis in Bull Durham - LOVE him.  CANNOT stand Kevin Costner - I think he's The Most Boring Man in America - perhaps the world

On the flip side, I adore Ralph Fiennes the actor and the person, but I'm not wild about any of the characters he's played.
No more beans!

Offline JT

« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2006, 02:14:47 pm »
I've had that problem several times, though not with Jack/Jake.  I did fall in love with Jack and will always love him.  Ennis, too.  But I fell in lust with Jake completely separately.  And that all started actually after a few viewings of Brokeback, when I started seeing him do the talk show circuit and discovered what a lovely person he is - I had never seen him interviewed before Brokeback, so I had no idea.  The first thing I saw him on was Leno, and he was an absolute DOLL.  Confident without being arrogant, sharp as a tack, funny, warm, sweet, ...  I could go on all day.  Haven't been able to get him out of my head ever since.  And don't really care to.

The characters/actors I've had that problem with, though, off the top of my head:

Will Shakespeare in Shakespeare in Love - ADORE him.  Joseph Fiennes, not so much

Will Hunting in Good Will Hunting - ADORE him.  Matt Damon, not so much (though I do think he's a very talented actor)

Crash Davis in Bull Durham - LOVE him.  CANNOT stand Kevin Costner - I think he's The Most Boring Man in America - perhaps the world

On the flip side, I adore Ralph Fiennes the actor and the person, but I'm not wild about any of the characters he's played.

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only person with that problem.  I guess it could be a common situation and I see your point in your examples. 

I guess the reason I love cute Jack so much is because I know him quite well and can relate to him.  I do lust for Jack but I love him much, much more.  And yes, Ennis too.  As for Jake, I don't know much about him at all.  I can understand why you fell in lust with Jake--most of us probably do.  After all he is very handsome and charming, and he appear to be sweet and warm in interviews.  But I know nothing else about him.  I guess I love Jake because he's a good actor, good looking, and seems like a good person overall, but nothing deep like the way I feel about Jack Twist.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2006, 02:32:34 pm »
Well, I'm glad I'm not the only person with that problem.  I guess it could be a common situation and I see your point in your examples. 

I guess the reason I love cute Jack so much is because I know him quite well and can relate to him.  I do lust for Jack but I love him much, much more.  And yes, Ennis too.  As for Jake, I don't know much about him at all.  I can understand why you fell in lust with Jake--most of us probably do.  After all he is very handsome and charming, and he appear to be sweet and warm in interviews.  But I know nothing else about him.  I guess I love Jake because he's a good actor, good looking, and seems like a good person overall, but nothing deep like the way I feel about Jack Twist.

I know where you're coming from.  Jack seems much more real to me than Jake, and really that's as it should be.  If you know too much (or think you know too much) about an actor's personal life, it makes it difficult to fully enjoy his characterizations.  I kind of go out of my way not to know more about Jake and other actors whose work I really enjoy - I don't want to spoil all the roles they have yet to play for myself.  And of course just being fans and not actual friends, how much can one really know about any of them anyway?  And I'm with you - I lust after him because of what he seems to be and because something physiological about him just does it for me on some sort of primitive level moreso than all the other handsome leading man types out there who are on the same par of attractiveness.  That's as deep as that goes - as deep as it can go.  Not to mention about as long as a sentence can go...
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 02:42:27 pm by ednbarby »
No more beans!