Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 4929 times)

Offline keller

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Introduction
« on: September 21, 2008, 08:38:18 pm »
I don't know where to park this, so I guess I'll make my own parking place. Someone named David mentioned this board, so I thought I'd mosey on over.

I'm here for two reasons. (Straight female) One, I lived in Wyoming for five years and still have fond memories (except for the oil refinery). We used to vacation every year in the Tetons, back before the world discovered it.

Second, I've done a lot of gay rights activism. My daughter filed a lawsuit to start a GSA at her high school, against the most conservative school board in the country. (Orange California, that's their brag). It got international press. We won and the district thanked her by having her falsely arrested and kicked out of school.  ::) Now lifetime is doing a movie about it.

So I'm just saying howdy and looking forward to talking to folks who don't raise their eyebrows  :o at the mention of the word gay.  :laugh:

injest

Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 09:17:56 pm »
I don't know where to park this, so I guess I'll make my own parking place. Someone named David mentioned this board, so I thought I'd mosey on over.

I'm here for two reasons. (Straight female) One, I lived in Wyoming for five years and still have fond memories (except for the oil refinery). We used to vacation every year in the Tetons, back before the world discovered it.

Second, I've done a lot of gay rights activism. My daughter filed a lawsuit to start a GSA at her high school, against the most conservative school board in the country. (Orange California, that's their brag). It got international press. We won and the district thanked her by having her falsely arrested and kicked out of school.  ::) Now lifetime is doing a movie about it.

So I'm just saying howdy and looking forward to talking to folks who don't raise their eyebrows  :o at the mention of the word gay:laugh:

*Jess reaches up and pushes her eyebrow back down firmly*

howdy!! glad you moseyed OUR way...any friend of Davids and all

;)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 08:41:57 am »

Hi there, Keller. Welcome to BetterMost.  :D

I'm Kerry and I live in Sydney, Australia. Pleased to meet you.

I think it was a couple of years ago that a very moving documentary was screened on Australian television, telling the story of an extremely courageous young woman, who fought for gay rights at her school. Is that your daughter? There can't have been too many such documentaries made. I was very moved by her story. And by her courage and determination, too.

Should you have any questions about BetterMost, don't hesitate to ask me.  :)

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 03:30:56 pm »
Welcome keller - I'm guessing that David is our very own DavidinIndy!

wow! I'd love to know more about the fight and the movie (I'm not in the US) links please!

Good on your daughter!!!!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 11:16:12 pm »

So I'm just saying howdy and looking forward to talking to folks who don't raise their eyebrows  :o at the mention of the word gay.  :laugh:

Hi Keller!! I just now saw this thread! Welcome to Bettermost! I'm glad you decided to join up with us. Please let me know if you have any questions and I'll be happy to help! :D

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 11:23:07 pm »

Welcome to BetterMost Keller!  So glad you found your way here! 8)

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 04:20:58 am »
Hi Keller..welcome to Bettermost.

Plenty of friends here to pull up a log and chat around the campfire with.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline BlissC

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • There ain't never enough time...
    • NeonBlue Dreams
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 07:57:12 am »
Hi Keller, and welcome to Bettermost!  :)

I vividly remember back many years ago when I was at school my first experience of gay rights stuff and a rather unexpected realisation that the world's full of discrimination. A friend and I attempted to start a gay rights group at school (I won't bore you with the story of how we came to be doing it), and made loads of posters and stuff which we put on noticeboards to advertise our new venture. It came as quite a shock when we were told to take them down and hauled into the headteacher's office to explain our actions. That was over 20 years ago now, and the world's sadly not changed that much in the intervening years.

"No matter how hard you try, You're still in prison, If ya born with wings and you never fly."

Offline keller

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 10:07:49 pm »
Thanks for the welcome. I'm working two jobs right now, so I'm not here as much as I want to be.  :-\

Recently I got elected as a precinct officer for the local democratic party, so I can vote on what issues the party pursues. I live in small town America, so I could really put some interesting things out there. Actually, elected is kind of a joke. I saw no one was running for the office and wrote in my name for a laugh. In California, you have to register as a write in, but not here. So I won by one vote, literally, one to none.  :laugh:

I think the thing that impacted me the most after all that GSA kafuffle is when I went to my high school reunion the fall after the lawsuit. A lot of now out classmates came up to me, full of gratitude for what I had done. I thought I was helping the next generation, but never thought it would matter to my generation.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=17394

I'm proud of what we did, although not happy at the cost. I was harassed at work and of course my daughter was harassed at school. But I also think it helped me get a job with a boss who had liberal leanings.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 05:13:39 am »
wow Judy (?) good on you!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/