Author Topic: The what if thread  (Read 11712 times)

Offline nic

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • No man is an island
Re: The what if thread
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2006, 09:49:47 am »
Oh! I had a similar "what if..". Let's think of something else.. hm.. What if Ennis and Jack had been born in 1964 and their story had started in 1983 and had 'finished' around now?

~ j U d E

That's a good one.  I'll assume that all other things stay as close to the original as possible and "now" was around the time the movie would be about to finish, ie now was the point at which Jack was getting increasingly frustrated and might have been playing away.  I think that with the advent of more means of communication, their relationship would have been made tangibly stronger as they would have been communicating more: more phonecalls, letters maybe & then emails.   The social climate would hopefully make it easier for Ennis to think about living with Jack so maybe Ennis would have made a positive move after that last meeting before waiting for thier next scheduled meeting, especially as they would be communicating by other means in the intervening time.  I'd like to think the outcome would be a happy one, but even today, Jack could still be killed by homophobia or an accident, and Ennis as his secret lover, would essentially be left in the same position.   

A skilful novelist could stil make a great story of it and it could be turned into a great movie by a great director.  It might not have the social resonance BBM has had, as what we do have really reaches across the age spans back to those born around the 40s, whereas if the main characters were not born until the 60s, it might not appeal to quite the same demographic.

That got me thinking!  :-\
Old Brokeback got us good and it sure ain't over

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2006, 10:04:03 am »
What if Ennis had never seen Earl dead in a ditch as a result of a homophobic killing?
That's the one I had in mind.  I always wondered if Ennis would be so shut down regarding his feelings if he hadn't seen that, and known that's why Earl had been killed.  Another what if that comes to mind is, what if Aguirre hadn't seen them and hadn't called them down early?  Would their bond have been stronger with a little more time?

What if Mrs. Twist had been able to convey some sense of approval verbally to Ennis? 

Juan
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

Offline YaadPyar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2006, 10:09:00 am »
What if Ennis, just once, could have put words to his feelings.  Just once said what he really felt and meant.

What if Ennis could have said yes.
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2006, 03:13:50 am »
What if Ennis could have loved Jack more than he hated himself?

That's what it all boils down to, isn't it?

How am I supposed to keep up with everyhing wonderful on this friggin' BetterMost?