Author Topic: My long, rambling defense of Brokeback Mountain  (Read 14663 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: My long, rambling defense of Brokeback Mountain
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2006, 06:49:34 pm »
Makes me wonder if A. Proulx isn't more than a tad familiar with Virgil.

I KNOW!  That part that you quoted amazes me all the time too.  I can just sit and read it over and over again. 

I'm sure she knows Virgil too.  The coincidence here would be too great I think (especially since other elements of the story suggest some parallels too).  Plus, super serious writers like Proulx tend to be exceedingly well-read (not too surprisingly).  If there was ever any doubt that BBM (in it's book form) isn't true literature, well this goes a long way towards demonstrating the extreme seriousness of the story and literary references.  It would actually be a fantastic question to ask Proulx.  If for some unlikely reason she didn't intend or know about this parallel... I'm sure she'd be amazed (and quite happy) to find out about it.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2006, 12:04:18 pm »
I missed this subject the first time around, so was overjoyed to find and read it. I'd like to add something I noticed in the scene around the table with Jack, Lureen, LaShawn, and Randall. After not seeing the movie for quite a while, I watched again with fresh eyes. You can see Lureen bristle when LaShawn starts off calling Childress a "poky little town." That's why she comes back with the reply, "I was Kappa Phi myself," a more prestigious sorority than LaShawn's. LaShawn gives the impression of a social climber, a person with low self-esteem who needs to obtain the approval of others. Here it's Lureen, so she comes back with the smidgeon of rhythm comment and, by saying she and Lureen might have to dance together, intimates that the two women are in the same boat. As they talk on, the women keep finding more and more things in common, till this starts to alarm Jack, who has perhaps become sensitized by Ennis's paranoia. He starts to brush off the veiled accusations by saying "Ain't never give it no thought," at the same time actually brushing cigarette ashes off his black finery. He asks LaShawn to dance, IMO, simply because he is drawn to her and identifies with her; they are a lot alike, the socialness, the complaints, the garrulousness. Especially the low self-esteem and need to seek the approval and love of others. But he gets a dividend from dancing with LaShawn--seeing that Randall doesn't ask Lureen to dance is another in a series of little hints that Randall is gay.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 03:03:39 am by Front-Ranger »
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2006, 01:44:35 pm »
That's why she comes back with the reply, "I was Tri Delt myself," a more prestigious sorority than LaShawn's.

Well, I think it was LaShawn who was Tri Delt and Lureen was Kappa Phi.  I have no idea about how sororities work or the hierarchy amongst them... but you're right F-R,  I think the implication is that Lureen is trying to let LaShawn know that her sorority is more prestigious.  I always wonder about Jack here... he's the only one at the table without a college education and really, it seems very little experience or background with college culture at all.  I've always thought of this as just one more way that Jack's Texas life makes him feel uncomfortable.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline 2robots4u

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2006, 10:06:50 pm »
atz75...in my college days the hirearchy on my particular campus was, more or less, which was "considered" more prestitious, which means which was more popular, which meant who was in it, and finally, which was the "bitchiest"  We college men found most of them filled with stuck-up, rich girls, who wouldn't give us the time of day.  I am of the same opinion of frats, too, so ladies, please don't attack, nor men either for that matter.  That was just my school and every school was different.  Kappa Phi is definitely far above Tri Delta, hence, Lureen's acid tongue when she says "Myself, I was Kappa Phi", drawing out the "Phi" just a tad.  It's one of those moments when I (if I had been Lashawn and within distance) would have laid 5 across Lureen"s alltogether too pale cheek.  We don't really get to know much about Lashawn, but I get the impression she does not come from money, and apparently Randall did.  Any thought on that?...Doug

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2006, 11:53:02 pm »
Thank you for posting this truly brilliant defense of our film.  I am blown away.  Even after 100+ viewings, a little less than half of them on the big screen, I am as obssessed with BBM as ever.  There are so many layers to this quiet miracle of a movie that I'll be studying it for a long, long time!  Your essay is going in my memory book!

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2006, 01:32:26 am »
Thanks, Littlewing!  :D

All this time, and we ain't found everything there is to find in this movie, I don't think.

Offline Noviani

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Best Love Story of All Time
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2006, 10:51:33 pm »
Latjoreme,

if ther a lawsuit for me,for luring people to watch this movie (please note i'm in Indonesia, homosexuality is a keep-it-in-your-closet-don't-get-me-involved stuff here, though south Bali has better acceptance)

i would ask you to be my defender, as to why folks should watch the movie.
"Sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it..."

I finally found an Indonesian-translated version of BBM short story!!!!!
Ye-haww!!

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2006, 01:11:56 am »
Thanks, Noviani! What a nice compliment. I'm packing my suitcase.  :D

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2006, 05:25:20 am »
"I swear by every oath that hell can muster, I swear I left you against my will. The law of God--the law that sends me now through darkness, bramble, rot and profound night--unyielding drove me; nor could I have dreamed that in my leaving I would hurt you so".

:'(

As Barb (I think) said earlier in this thread: these lines just slayed me.
10 months since I first saw BBM, and the heartbreak when I see the film/read the story/come across such posts here, has still not let up.
Annie MUST have known about Vigil; now I want to read it too!

How could I miss that post about Ennis/Aeneas? Thanks for posting this, and for bumping this thread. So glad I found it!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 09:05:09 am by isabelle »
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2006, 06:38:31 am »
I have to bump this - I know I'll want ta read it again & the responses it brings out. Thanks Isabelle for having found it - you brought me to it, and I noticed kelda's reading it too.

But mostly thank you Katherine for your treatese in defense of BBM. I too have learned new details from your "rambling(s)", this, 11 months after my first and probably a 100 subsequent viewings.
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer