Author Topic: "Fixer" or "Stander"  (Read 14693 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: "Fixer" or "Stander"
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2006, 02:41:36 pm »
Oh good, a disorder I don't have.  That's always nice.  :)  But I do agonize too much at times.  It's not all rational research.  And I do sometimes have remorse (but rarely).  I work so hard to avoid remorse. :)

(Barb, I'm going to use my moderator powers to go into your post above and move your words out from within the quotes you accidentally put them into.)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2006, 03:32:27 pm »
Thanks for fixing that, Clarissa.  D'oh!
No more beans!

Offline chris_chicago

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2006, 06:41:58 am »
well if you ask my b/f, he would prolly call me a 'stander'.  He would view himself as a 'fixer' or that he is fixing me...wha eva, I fix things (I own a lot of tools) but he would be right in some ways i guess that maybe I'm not utilyzing my full potential. So I would like to add, that maybe a 'stander' would be well served by pairing up with a 'fixer'
(<>..<>)

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2006, 08:47:41 am »
I answered a "fixer", but I think I am a bit of both..

~ j U d E
[BTW: 'fixer' in German means 'drug-addict'..]
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 08:14:57 am by JudeW »
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2006, 04:04:22 am »
I'm a stander. I WISH I was a fixer. I always admired fixers.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2006, 02:44:21 am »
What a great question....makes one stop and think a bit about the answer to that one.....

Im a fixer.....i always say we are responsible for our own destiny, so if its not want we want FIX IT......
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2006, 11:30:28 pm »
It's just fascinating... fixers and standers are almost equal in representation here so far.  I think this is a really hard question... thanks to all who have particiapted here!
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2006, 11:37:17 am »
It's just fascinating... fixers and standers are almost equal in representation here so far.  I think this is a really hard question... thanks to all who have particiapted here!

Yes, it is a really hard question.  So hard, in fact, that I'm contemplating changing my answer (so much for having no patience with people who have a decision-making disorder...).

Lately I'm wondering if I'm being a stander by staying in a geographical location I *hate* in order to appease my husband, who, heaven help me, loves it here.  I have had a few near-opportunities over our 13 years in South Florida to get him to change his mind and move "back North" with me.  I've come close to convincing him it'd be better - to the point of even getting him to look at houses with me in New Hampshire in the event that we relocated to have him based out of Logan, but have always backed down after his final rebuttal.

I do like to fix the "little things."  When issues come up at work or at home that are relatively minor, I don't like to hem and haw about them - I like to come up with a solution and follow through as soon as possible, because I can't stand the thought of there being little fires going here and there that need to be extinguished.  But when it comes to the big stuff, I think I back down.

:P
No more beans!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2006, 12:57:11 pm »
NOw that we have been through the health scare with Chris, I am more of a stander than ever. But who knows how much our thoughts, prayers, posts and lighted candles helped to "fix" him; we'll never know, but I am convinced it made a difference!! So, if that's part of fixing something, then I guess I am a fixer after all.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2006, 12:12:11 am »
Hi Lee,
That was a really nice post and a good way of looking at things.
 :)

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie