Author Topic: Halloween Costume Party - Join the Costume Parade Here!  (Read 127732 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Halloween Costume Party - Join the Costume Parade Here!
« Reply #130 on: October 26, 2010, 09:17:27 am »
Jeff, did you try different browsers for Bettermost if you were having that problem?  Sometimes that fixes it for me even though it is not the browser in isolation, and certainly not Bettermost itself, which has a problem.  One of my friends was having problems in Facebook ever since her Internet Explorer went to version 8 - broken links, back arrows just going back one or two pages before getting lost and the like.  She tried Firefox and had none of those problems.   It was probably neither IE 8 nor Facebook but those in combination with her settings for them, or in combination with other programs.

What problems, darlin?

Like Andrew's friend, I had problems after upgrading to IE 8. Anyway, Chuck told me about a little button, and Lee told me the name (so thanks to both! :)). It's the compability button directly to the right of your browerser's address field (if you have IE, that is). It looks like a torn sheet of paper. For me, it fixed the problems.

Thank you both for your thoughts and suggestions.

I access Bettermost one of two ways. At work I access through our company network  ::)  which uses Internet Explorer--which was recently upgraded. At home I access Bettermost, and, indeed, the Internet in general, through AOL. The problem I was having--I guess since IE was upgraded here at work, anyway--was that if I attempted to input any text--that is, write a post--that was longer than the size of the text box, so that the text would have to scroll, the contents of the text box would jump around, up and down, as soon as I got to the bottom of the box in my typing. This was really annoying when I wanted to include a lengthy quote in my post. It appears that clicking on that compatibility button has solved that problem, at least here at work, and I thank you both for your help.

I'm not quite sure how to describe the problem at home. There, when I input text, it no longer appears as I'm typing it. It's almost as if the text is going into some type of buffer, and there is a lag time before it appears on the screen. It makes inputting very slow--I might as well be typing with one finger. Since I access the site through AOL, I'm not sure what to do about that.

Maybe I should try accessing at home through Internet Explorer. I've never heard of Firefox.

About the picture loading: there may be a restriction of size for avatar pics (not sure). Maybe shrinking the pic before uploading could help?

That might be it, but I don't know nuthin' 'bout sizin' no pics. ...  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #131 on: October 26, 2010, 09:18:39 am »

Yes, but chocolate and peanut butter are major food groups. ...  8)

It's true! Almost like that joke in Woody Allen's Sleeper --the polyphenols in chocolate (more than 70% cocoa) and peanuts are good for you!

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

"Camping Out"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #133 on: October 26, 2010, 09:35:03 am »
Thank you both for your thoughts and suggestions.

I access Bettermost one of two ways. At work I access through our company network  ::)  which uses Internet Explorer--which was recently upgraded. At home I access Bettermost, and, indeed, the Internet in general, through AOL. The problem I was having--I guess since IE was upgraded here at work, anyway--was that if I attempted to input any text--that is, write a post--that was longer than the size of the text box, so that the text would have to scroll, the contents of the text box would jump around, up and down, as soon as I got to the bottom of the box in my typing. This was really annoying when I wanted to include a lengthy quote in my post. It appears that clicking on that compatibility button has solved that problem, at least here at work, and I thank you both for your help.

Yep, exactly what I had after IE upgrade. Glad the compability view tip helped. :)

I'm not quite sure how to describe the problem at home. There, when I input text, it no longer appears as I'm typing it. It's almost as if the text is going into some type of buffer, and there is a lag time before it appears on the screen. It makes inputting very slow--I might as well be typing with one finger. Since I access the site through AOL, I'm not sure what to do about that.

Maybe I should try accessing at home through Internet Explorer. I've never heard of Firefox.

Sounds similar to the IE problem. But I don't no nuthin 'bout AOL. I'll ask around and get back at you when I have an answer (or anyone reading this and knowing something, please reply).

That might be it, but I don't know nuthin' 'bout sizin' no pics. ...  :-\

That's easy, but depending on what you have. I can expain it to you via PM, if you're interested. Do you have Irfan View/other picture program? Or store all your pics on an online site (photobucket or sumpn)?
Anyway, to shorten the procedere, just send me the pic in a PM or post it here (I'll later delete it form the thread) and I'll shrink it for you.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #134 on: October 26, 2010, 09:39:52 am »

Another Hallowe'en possibility....

"Camping Out"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #135 on: October 26, 2010, 11:23:00 am »
Yep, exactly what I had after IE upgrade. Glad the compability view tip helped. :)

I'm glad I was able to explain the issue.  ;D  Thanks!

Sounds similar to the IE problem. But I don't no nuthin 'bout AOL. I'll ask around and get back at you when I have an answer (or anyone reading this and knowing something, please reply).

I'll have to look around a bit when I get home, see what I can find.

That's easy, but depending on what you have. I can expain it to you via PM, if you're interested. Do you have Irfan View/other picture program? Or store all your pics on an online site (photobucket or sumpn)?
Anyway, to shorten the procedere, just send me the pic in a PM or post it here (I'll later delete it form the thread) and I'll shrink it for you.

Never heard of Irfan either. All my pics are just on my hard drive. Thanks but that's all way too much work for just a couple of days for Halloween.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #136 on: October 26, 2010, 04:36:15 pm »

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #137 on: October 26, 2010, 06:39:21 pm »

Dogs
Looking
Depressed
in
Their
Halloween
Costumes

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2010/10/dog_halloween_parade.html#photo=17x67331

"Oh Gawd..."

Some of them seem to be enjoying it.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #138 on: October 27, 2010, 08:37:36 am »
OMG, I just realized this morning, it's already October 27 and I have yet to engage in my annual Halloween ritual of viewing It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown.   :o  I better get crackin'.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #139 on: October 27, 2010, 08:40:17 am »

"Camping Out"