Author Topic: Favorite lines from Proulx's story- an Ode to TOB  (Read 12830 times)

gattaca

Re: Favorite lines from Proulx's story- an Ode to TOB
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2006, 11:15:41 pm »
"There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe, but nothing could be done about it, and if you can't fix it you've got to stand it."
What are people's interpretations of this line?

I think the key to a possible interpretation lies a couple of pages earlier. In the story, John Twist tells Ennis that, "He's a goin a split up with his wife and come back here," (bringing Randall with him). "So he says. But like most a Jack's ideas it never come to pass."

So now he knows it had been the tire iron. Annie seems to confirm here that Jack did die violently, and not by Lureen's contrived story over the phone.

So, I think Ennis knows Jack was murdered, but wants to believe otherwise.

gattaca

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2006, 11:20:28 pm »
I have another favorite line (I have quite a few, actually) - this is near the beginning of the story, where Annie gifts the reader with one of her sparse expositions describing Ennis's physical appearance:

"...balanced a small torso on long, caliper legs, possessed a muscular and supple body made for the horse and for fighting."

...and made for a few other things also, I don't doubt.

Offline alec716

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2006, 11:26:42 pm »
I think the key to a possible interpretation lies a couple of pages earlier. In the story, John Twist tells Ennis that, "He's a goin a split up with his wife and come back here," (bringing Randall with him). "So he says. But like most a Jack's ideas it never come to pass."

So now he knows it had been the tire iron. Annie seems to confirm here that Jack did die violently, and not by Lureen's contrived story over the phone.

So, I think Ennis knows Jack was murdered, but wants to believe otherwise.

Excellent idea.  I had not thought much about that angle.  Thanks for pulling the thoughts together. 
"... he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream."

Offline Catglith

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2006, 08:19:31 am »
I'll start with a line that always brings a tear for me...

"The huge sadness of the northern plains rolled down on him."
 :'(

Every line towards the end of the book just crushes me, but this line haunted me, So simple, unsentimental, hones and ultimately devastating because of this.

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2006, 10:08:40 am »
So many of the lines people have quoted are sad ones.  :'(  Here's one that's sad but also hints of happiness, and I wish it were better dramatized in the movie:

One thing never changed: the brilliant charge of their infrequent couplings  :-* was darkened by the sense of time flying, never enough time, never enough.

:-\

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2006, 04:26:00 pm »
"Ennis, riding against the wind back to the sheep in the treacherous, drunken light, thought he'd never had such a good time, felt he could paw the white out of the moon."

To see Ennis Del Mar happy, is to be happy.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline saucycobblers

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2006, 08:17:11 pm »
His shaking hand grazed Ennis's hand, and electrical current snapped between them.

That whole scene is amazing, even more so in the book than in the film I think. There are so many things going on at the same time - the mundane pleasantries, the two men almost on the point of losing control, Alma's confusion and rising panic, the baby crying in the background... OMG i just hold my breath every time i read it.
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2006, 11:36:29 am »
All the posted lines are ...I haven't the words.

But "swung from the feck, and laid the miniestering angel out among the wild columbine, wings folded," is I guess my favorite...and oddly enough, it's the one place I laugh out loud in the movie, for a differenrt reason: it is SO Ennis.
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2006, 12:12:58 pm »
So many wonderful lines, so little time. ...

Of course, the only one I can be sure to quote correctly without the text in front of me is:

"Gun's goin' off."

;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2006, 02:16:33 pm »
His shaking hand grazed Ennis's hand, and electrical current snapped between them.

I always feel like I can just about see that happening in the film. At least I certainly can feel it!