Author Topic: The mysterious "I love you" and other nearly indiscernible moments  (Read 201581 times)

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: The mysterious "I love you" and other nearly indiscernible moments
« Reply #310 on: June 22, 2017, 10:19:51 am »
Right, so you agree that a proper "i love you" would ruin the scene. I think so, too. It's better without it.

I don't know what you mean by "proper" in this case. I think a big dramatized line would be melodramatic and sentimentalized, yes. But I don't think it has to be expressed that way to be proper.

He doesn't need to say it, Jack knew it anyway. Then if he is really saying it in such a rush that it seems almost comically, i think it's not making the scene better either, maybe even worse.

I don't think you and I are talking about quite the same thing. I don't think he's saying it out loud deliberately to inform Jack. And comically? I don't see much comedy in the scene.

Do you ever do things like, oh, you get out to your car and realize you left your keys in the house and you actually whisper/mutter "Oh, I need my keys" or something like that? (If you don't have a car or house, adjust the circumstances accordingly.) You're not telling it to anyone. You're not conveying information. You don't need to verbalize it aloud because the thought is already in your head and you're practically already turning back toward the house. But still, you say it.

Or maybe that's just me.

Anyway, that's kind of how I see this. Overcome with emotion, he actually forms the words. He's not making a declaration to an actual Jack he imagines is hovering there, anymore than he's doing that when he says "Jack, I swear ..." He's just saying it because he's expressing thoughts in the privacy of his own solitude.

Therefore, i choose to think he is just sobbing instead.  ;)

OK!  :)

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
« Reply #311 on: June 23, 2017, 03:01:17 pm »
And nice to see you around these parts, by the way!  :)

Good to be seen. Haven't posted in a while.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #312 on: July 01, 2017, 11:46:16 am »
Do you ever do things like, oh, you get out to your car and realize you left your keys in the house and you actually whisper/mutter "Oh, I need my keys" or something like that? (If you don't have a car or house, adjust the circumstances accordingly.) You're not telling it to anyone. You're not conveying information. You don't need to verbalize it aloud because the thought is already in your head and you're practically already turning back toward the house. But still, you say it.

Oh, that's actually a good explanation.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!