Author Topic: The mysterious "I love you" and other nearly indiscernible moments  (Read 202076 times)

Offline Wayne

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: The mysterious "I love you" and other nearly indiscernible moments
« Reply #120 on: July 06, 2006, 06:54:55 pm »
... "I love you" .... "Oh Jack." .... "fuck me, fuck me" .... "fuck me, fuck me." 
As of my most recent viewing I'm definitely with the "fuck me" crowd !!     :) :)

What I heard was "fuck ... .... me."   Long pause in between, and I only caught one iteration. But it was, as you say, clear as a bell!

It was nice!     :)
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #121 on: July 07, 2006, 02:08:16 am »
Nothing associated with BBM could ever be yuck IMHO, not even a cat-piss smelling tent!!

:laugh:

Me neither. I would welcome the opportunity to feel even closer to Brokeback by sleeping in a pup tent that smelled like cat piss. Though I might draw the line at "or worse."

Offline Kazza

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #122 on: July 07, 2006, 04:56:12 am »
I love the fact that in TS1 after they both jump up, Jack appears to grab Ennis’s hand and put it back *there* and even though Ennis mutters “What are you doing” he doesn’t pull it away until he grabs Jack’s head with both hands.

I’ve heard that the full screen version shows this a little more clearly – can anyone confirm?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #123 on: July 07, 2006, 05:28:44 pm »
That special edition is supposed to come out this month!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #124 on: July 07, 2006, 07:57:33 pm »

I went out to Amazon.com and didn't find any info on a special ed. Usually they have a preorder available. Keep us updated ... because if there is a Special Ed ... I'm getting it, PRONTO!!! I'll certainly let all of you know if I hear anything.
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #125 on: July 08, 2006, 05:33:39 pm »

Really!  Where did you hear this? Oooo, see now, you're getting us all excited!
 :D ;D

OK, I have a question about another "nearly indiscernible moment"... much less exciting than the shirts or TS1.  So, when Jack is pacing around in Lureen's office looking for his blue parka... Lureen says "you're the only **blah, blah, blah** salesman in fact..."  What does she say here??  I hate watching the movie with subtitles (they just irritate me for some reason) so I've never gotten around to checking this scene out with subtitles.  I'd surely appreciate it if someone has some insight here.
thanks!
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #126 on: July 08, 2006, 05:41:11 pm »
I think it's, "You're the best combine salesman we got -- you're the only combine salesman, in fact."

You probably know this, but a combine is a piece of farm equipment. I mean big farm equipment. It's among the $100,000 shit.

I believe what it does is harvest grain.

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #127 on: July 08, 2006, 07:13:14 pm »
OK, then, here's my advice. Right after he breathes in the shirts, hoping for the scent, his face up close to the cloth -- watch for the left 1/4 inch or so of his mouth to twitch three times, as if he's saying three one-syllable words. Listen for him to make three short sounds, ditto. It won't sound or look particularly like "I love you." He could be saying just about anything, or twitching for some other reason. But that's the reason that makes the most sense -- and is the most emotionally thrilling -- to me.

Then, immediately -- and I mean IMMEDIATELY -- afterward, it cuts to Mrs. Twist in the kitchen. So if you get there and haven't seen it, rewind slightly and try again.

Good luck! Report back tomorrow!

Katherine – Okay, girl. I never thought I’d say this …. (I can admit when I am wrong, however) …. I heard the “I love you …” I can’t believe it. I honestly have to say that I thought it was absurd to think that Ennis would say "I love you" while holding the shirt.  But I followed what you said and you are correct. It is extremely subtle. You are right that it does not take anything away from the story.

So what have I learned from being a participant on BetterMost? Nothing is a given. My opinions that I was so sure about are now wavering. I have come to a decision … when I watch my nightly viewing; I am going to watch it as if I have no preconceived ideas/ notions. It won’t be easy to do. I do think, however, I may see things in a different light. So, we’ll see …. I guess you can teach dogs new tricks!  ;)
Diane

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #128 on: July 08, 2006, 07:22:45 pm »
Welcome to the club, Diane!  :D :D :D Glad to have your agreement, both on its existence and that it's not damaging to the story. And I'm like you -- I never thought it could possibly be there, until I saw it.

You're right, I think you can keep going and going and finding out more and more things -- about the movie and about ourselves. I like your idea of trying to watch with no preconceptions.  :o :)

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #129 on: July 08, 2006, 08:00:37 pm »
Welcome to the club, Diane!  :D :D :D Glad to have your agreement, both on its existence and that it's not damaging to the story. And I'm like you -- I never thought it could possibly be there, until I saw it.

You're right, I think you can keep going and going and finding out more and more things -- about the movie and about ourselves. I like your idea of trying to watch with no preconceptions.  :o :)

I'll let you know if I see something else ... who knows?
Diane