Author Topic: My very bad BAFTA pictures  (Read 4536 times)

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
My very bad BAFTA pictures
« on: June 06, 2006, 07:25:28 pm »
It was February. It was London. It was dark. It was crowded. We were hungry and it was pissing down with rain.. I went to Leicester Square at around 11am (my friend joined me later with food – burgers.. I don't eat meat.. anyway..) and found a nice spot (so I thought) close to the press pavillon (it later turned out to be the "VIP" pavillon.. that is: 'normal' people like you and me, who won a VIP pass.. it was horrible, because that bunch was totally unorganised and well, they always threatened our view ..). Anyway, I saw quite a few actors/actresses under their ORANGE umbrellas. I did see Jake (see picture) and Ang Lee (no picture – I only saw him at the very moment he disappeared into the Odeon theatre) and George Clooney etc. No Heath! No Michelle!

The story doesn't end here, though. It's actually quite funny. I'm still among those who doesn't own a digital camera. So, for 3 or 4 years now I have my films developed on paper + CDRom. For some very strange reason, I had the one film with all my BAFTA pictures developed without a CDRom! So stupid, because I wanted to share them with you right away, of course. So all this time I couldn't upload them on BMost.

Last Wednesday I went out for dinner with a few colleagues. Among them an Irish colleague, who I like and enjoy talking to. He has a very dry sense of humour – love it! At the very beginning when I first met him, I thought – gay. HE is gay. It might be cliché or prejudice, but there were signs, mannerism and other hints, that made him 'ping'. I wasn't the only one to think that. Quite a few other colleagues thought so too. So, a few months ago we were talking and he mentioned his wife and two kids. Whoa! I sooo pretended not to be surprised! No big deal though, of course.

So I'm in the restaurant with him and a group of other colleagues on Wednesday (31 May) and we start talking about books, films – we discuss "The Da Vinci Code" and other films. He says he has almost no time ever to go to the movies, because of his kids and work and stuff. I tell him I have seen all of the Oscar nominated films. I suddenly remember my BAFTA pictures, still not scanned and I ask my colleagues if anyone owns a colour scanner. My Irish colleague says yes and I ask him whether I could give him a few pictures to scan. He agrees at once. I tell him about the pictures, what they are and who's on it. I mention Jake Gyllenhaal and Brokeback Mountain. He says that he had 'heard' about it and that it seemed like a good film. I go 'what?!'.. well, I remained completely cool, actually.. ;o) and tell him, that I own the DVD and that I'd be happy to lend it to him (kind of in exchange of the scanned pictures). He says he doesn't even have much time for DVDs, but since we had a long week-end ahead of us, he'd give it a try. I say: no problem! I'll bring the DVD to the office next day, if I don't forget (I didn't, of course!). I 'warn' him that the movie is very slow-paced and that it's long. I don't go on and tell him that I don't want to reveal too much about the story and he says that it's okay, he knows about it through all the articles he read – I go whoaaaaaaat?! – again! On the outside, I keep cool of course.. Remember, at the beginning of our BBM talk he only said that he had 'heard' about it.. now he's read all these articles.. Anyway, not to go on and on - the next morning he had sent me an e-mail with the attached scanned pictures (I'm 100% sure he kept some of them on his PC.. ;o) and he headed home with my DVD.

So, today is Tuesday and my colleague comes back with the DVD and he tells me that it wasn't quite what he had expected. I go 'why?' and he tells me he thought it would be much more romantic…………….. euuh?...!.. ? I ask 'in what way?' and he says he didn't think it would be so 'dark' and 'sad'.. I stopped asking questions after that and said that it would have been a much less powerful movie if it had had a happy ending and he agrees. He tells me he hasn't had the time to watch the extras and then we started talking about other movies and stuff. I guess, I'll never know whether he watched the movie alone or with his wife and/or son (his daughter lives/studies abroad)..

But what I do know now, is why I forgot to have my BAFTA film developed with a CDRom. It was so that all the above could happen!

I must have been blind all this time – but you know what? On one of the pictures with Jake, there is a bearded individual I just noticed, and it actually looks soooooooooooo like Heath!! Can anyone confirm that? I know the pictures aren't good quality, but maybe someone can see.. That would be awesome! All this time I had wondered how I could have missed Heath and Michelle, because to go inside the ODEON theatre all guests had to kind of pass in front of us, but no Heath or Michelle. So, that may be the answer to that riddle..

And you know what else? The long week-end in question was actually the Pentecost week-end!! And you all know how an important moment in the film that is .. :o)  Quite cool, I find!

Some more - I share my office with a colleague who is quite into fashion –K he has light blue new glasses, wears funky shirts and shoes, is into Art and fashion shops and so on. He is married with two adult daughters. I thought hmm.. since I have my BBM DVD in the office, let's see what this colleague has to say about it. I ask him whether he'd be interested in the DVD and he says his wife and one daughter saw and liked it, but that he hadn't seen it. He doesn't seem much more interested, so I don't insist. Then he goes on and says – didn't they just win an award at the MTV Movie Award for best kiss? – whhaaaaat?! I go again…! TOO COOL! I only just heard about the MTV awards (had a busy week-end, away from TV and PC) and there my colleague tells me about the BBM victory! Ha! I'm happy now.

Sorry for this loooooooooooong post! Had to share!

~ j U d E

« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 07:36:35 pm by JudeW »
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline j.U.d.E.

Re: My very bad BAFTA pictures
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 07:26:47 pm »
Some of the other pictures..

JUDE LAW

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 07:28:14 pm »
NEVE CAMPBELL

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 07:30:21 pm »

GEORGE CLOONEY

JOHN HURT

vkm91941

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 08:06:04 pm »
Thanks Jude for sharing that.  I remember how excited you were to be there...too cool and I love the DVD sharing phot scanning story!   :D
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 09:38:51 pm by vkm91941 »

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 08:11:23 pm »
Cool...thanks for sharing!

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 08:58:48 pm »
Yep, thanks for sharing!!  :)

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 09:36:40 pm »
Ooh those are cool! Thanks for sharing ;D

Offline Becky

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • No one can resist the Twist!
    • Myspace site, kinda scary but I like it!
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 06:50:59 pm »
I hate you Jude! No not really, I love you for sharing them. I am just so pissed that I didn't see Jake, plus he looks so cute in your pics. But I am sorry to report that the guy behind Jake is a friend of his actually I remember being told on IMDb that it was a band member fo Maroon 5, I think the keyboard player was mentioned but don't quote me on that.
But other than that(and the fact that your pictures are so much better than mine) we kind of had the same experience, or atleast took pictures(even if mine were so bad) of the same people. Yeah we saw Jude Law cause he went all the way around, I think he was trying to get people on his side after the whole Sienna thing. And I saw Neve Cambelle who I thought looked very classy and stylish, I was puzzled to why she was their but I later found out that her husband/fiance was and English director or something. I saw the top of Clooney's head and I only knew it was him cause of all the greyhair, but he wasn't as nice as Charlize Theron who turned round and waved to the crowd while on the top of the walk-way. But I am glad you got a picture of John Hurt cause he is a really nice guy. He was out in the rain for ages signing autographs and talking to people, he even said a few words to me. Cause he was signing an Autograph for the person in front of me and looked up, obviously saw my banner and said, "I see you are here for Brokeback" I nodded and smiled and he smiled back and said, "good film." He even squezed behind a tree to talk to the people there.

But as your pictures prove Jude you are obviously much better at finding good places than me even though I got there only an hour after you. If Jake or Heath are nominated for something next year I am so coming with you. ;D
"Look too often at those hills, lie too long beside those rippling rivers, and you may think you are hearing a love song, when actually it is a death song." Larry McMurtry, Brokeback Mountain: Story to Screenplay.

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2006, 08:37:16 am »
I hate you Jude! No not really, I love you for sharing them. I am just so pissed that I didn't see Jake, plus he looks so cute in your pics. But I am sorry to report that the guy behind Jake is a friend of his actually I remember being told on IMDb that it was a band member fo Maroon 5, I think the keyboard player was mentioned but don't quote me on that.
But other than that(and the fact that your pictures are so much better than mine) we kind of had the same experience, or atleast took pictures(even if mine were so bad) of the same people. Yeah we saw Jude Law cause he went all the way around, I think he was trying to get people on his side after the whole Sienna thing. And I saw Neve Cambelle who I thought looked very classy and stylish, I was puzzled to why she was their but I later found out that her husband/fiance was and English director or something. I saw the top of Clooney's head and I only knew it was him cause of all the greyhair, but he wasn't as nice as Charlize Theron who turned round and waved to the crowd while on the top of the walk-way. But I am glad you got a picture of John Hurt cause he is a really nice guy. He was out in the rain for ages signing autographs and talking to people, he even said a few words to me. Cause he was signing an Autograph for the person in front of me and looked up, obviously saw my banner and said, "I see you are here for Brokeback" I nodded and smiled and he smiled back and said, "good film." He even squezed behind a tree to talk to the people there.
You might be right with the "Maroon5" guy.. Too bad. Then I really don't know how Heath and Michelle went in, without us seeing them.. About John Hurt, that's cool! Nice of him to notice your BBM banner!! In 2002(?) for the BAFTAs, Colin Firth had no problem whatsoever to stand in the pouring rain for minutes, just so that he could sign autographs!! Classy! I was there for Russell Crowe (fan at the time), but he didn't even look over to the fans..  >:(

If I remember well, Neve Campbell was in London in a play for several weeks ("Resurrection Blues").

But as your pictures prove Jude you are obviously much better at finding good places than me even though I got there only an hour after you. If Jake or Heath are nominated for something next year I am so coming with you. ;D
NO PROBLEM!! Though for this BAFTA I think there would have been an even better place - just at the entrance of the ODEON theatre. I hesitated to go there.. I think I should have..

~ j U d E

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2006, 12:04:46 pm »
Thanks again for posting this, Jude.