Author Topic: David's "What Is It" For September (Part 4) ** ANSWER POSTED!! **  (Read 36594 times)

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
Re: David's "What Is It" For September (Part 4) ** ANSWER POSTED!! **
« Reply #80 on: October 06, 2008, 10:01:27 pm »
Aww! That sheep was so lucky to be adopted into your family. I love hearing stories like this! :D

Im sure we have a sign out the front of our house, saying,INJURED AND SICK ANIMALS WELCOME HERE

We have an injured galah here at the moment.....Hubby found it in front yard, with its wing broken, and so it cant fly. To save it from getting attacked we caged it, and it is doing fine. But now its mate is coming in, and we feel sorry for that one, because they mate for life, and we cant let the injured one go. So we are thinking of catching the mate, even though we are against catching wild birds.......Heres a pic of the one in the cage, and the mate sitting nearby.

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #81 on: October 06, 2008, 10:17:56 pm »
Aww! That is so sweet how they mate for life. I think the cardinals we have around here do that as well. Maybe it would be better if you did cage him just for now until the other bird's wing gets better. :)

Poor babies! :'(

I think it's wonderful what you and your family are doing for these animals Sue. :-*

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #82 on: October 08, 2008, 10:28:31 am »
Interesting!

Hope that it's not an as. scratcher! Ha! Ha!

Maybe it's for roping ?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline underdown

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka... Rob
« Reply #83 on: October 09, 2008, 12:52:46 am »

Well, he lived a happy life with us from then on, and ended up dying of old age, some five years later. Because he only had one eye we called him Cyclops.  He was qute accident prone, because a year or so after we had him, he got his horn caught in a fence, and lost that too. So he was one eyed and one horned, but we loved him.

Hey, there's a song that I remember from when I was about ... oh .... 3 or so.

'It was a one eyed, one horned, flying purple people eater .....'   :)

But even kind Sue wouldn't take one of those in. Ummm, would you?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #84 on: October 09, 2008, 01:11:42 am »
I remember the "Purple People Eater" song! My sister belonged to the purple people eater peewee baseball league. (try saying THAT three times in a row) ;)

Offline optom3

« Reply #85 on: October 10, 2008, 12:08:59 am »
My parents had a one eyed cat, a Turkish Van.They are allegedly the only cats that like water.This cat had been thrown across a room by its owner,in the midst of a fight , and the eye was so damaged that it had to be removed. That cat adored my father, gtting into the shower each mornng with him.She was called cyclops.
We previously had a tame thrush, my brother rescued it from a neighbours cat.The vet said itwould never fly properly again, so if put back in a tree would inevitably die.
 Dad built him a cage, and he was named Horace. Our cat at the time obviously had not heard that they should be sworn enemies, and used to give Horace rides. But the funniest thing was for some reason, the bird adored my father, and would sit on his head at night .
Personally I was not mad keen as it was terribly smelly.It did have 2 extra years though.
Sorry completely OT here,but the name cyclops just jogged memories.

Offline underdown

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • aka... Rob
« Reply #86 on: October 10, 2008, 02:14:31 am »
Well, it's ok to be OT.
While we're waiting for another 'What Is It'.
Hey David?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #87 on: October 10, 2008, 02:39:00 am »
Well, it's ok to be OT.
While we're waiting for another 'What Is It'.
Hey David?

Hey Rob! ;)

I'll be posting another one soon! Stay tuned! :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #88 on: October 10, 2008, 02:46:16 am »
My parents had a one eyed cat, a Turkish Van.They are allegedly the only cats that like water.This cat had been thrown across a room by its owner,in the midst of a fight , and the eye was so damaged that it had to be removed. That cat adored my father, gtting into the shower each mornng with him.She was called cyclops.
We previously had a tame thrush, my brother rescued it from a neighbours cat.The vet said itwould never fly properly again, so if put back in a tree would inevitably die.
 Dad built him a cage, and he was named Horace. Our cat at the time obviously had not heard that they should be sworn enemies, and used to give Horace rides. But the funniest thing was for some reason, the bird adored my father, and would sit on his head at night .
Personally I was not mad keen as it was terribly smelly.It did have 2 extra years though.
Sorry completely OT here,but the name cyclops just jogged memories.

Back when I was a toddler Mom and Dad had a cat named Muffin. He was a calico. One day Mom accidently backed Old Betsy (her 1958 Chevy convertible) over Muffin as he was taking a nap in the garage. He survived but his head and neck were really messed up and one of his eyes popped out. He looked like a Frankenstein cat and he sometimes would hop up in my bed late at night and sleep with me. I don't know why because that cat hated me in the first place. Mom and Dad had Muffin before I was born and the cat was intensely jealous of me. But after the accident he sometimes slept with me, and he scared me because he really did look like something out of a horror movie and I remember he breathed really funny too. Very raspy sounding and he had trouble purring. He made a honking sound when he purred. God he really scared me and sadly he died about a year after that happened. I was only four or five at the time but I remember it as clear as a bell.

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #89 on: October 10, 2008, 03:03:30 am »
Well, all these stories about our injured animals, might be OT, but there are some lovely stories, that not only show the survival abilities of animals, but the caring of people who give them another chance, regardless of their disablities. Something that seems to be passed on from generation to generation.

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection